Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2015, 03:36 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,809,001 times

Advertisements

Is there a problem with students misbehaving in European schools? And if so, what is done with these students? I ask that in response to this fiasco in the U.S.

Sheriff fires deputy for tossing teen across classroom - Chicago Tribune
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 03:50 PM

1,704 posts, read 1,837,741 times
Zero discipline in general. Teachers aren't allowed to do a thing without being threatened to get fired or facing legal repercussions. Children are treated like holy cows in India, infallible beings.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:11 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,809,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuuKulgur View Post
Zero discipline in general. Teachers aren't allowed to do a thing without being threatened to get fired or facing legal repercussions. Children are treated like holy cows in India, infallible beings.
I thought children in European cultures were more respectful of authority than those in U.S. culture.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:27 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,127,899 times
Well, there are highschools where no teacher would want to work at, and others where kids just behave like kids.

Quote:
Police officers make mistakes too. They're human and they need to be held accountable, and that's what we've done with Deputy Ben Fields.
It would seem like US police officers have a marked tendency to make mistakes.
(I would speak about our own but, I actually have no complaint about them. None at all.)

Old 10-29-2015, 04:44 AM

212 posts, read 208,936 times
Mouldy

A disaster, teachers in public schools are mostly under medication. They are attacked not only by children, but by their parents. American students, at least when I was there, are far more disciplined and don't cheat, universities are also a world apart, far more serious and organized. Here public universities are a place in which teachers have eternal sinecures and can't be expelled, they are all related and most don't care.

Private universities and education here, that are almost as expensive, are very good, some among the best.

Education went downhill, discipline went downhill during the last 40 years.

It depends a lot on autonomous communities too.

The case that appeared in all the media is very common here, but I have never seen police on schools. I have been in American HS and Junior Colleges with a large percentage of AA students, and they were more disciplined that children here, but in Junior Colleges their drop rates were tremendously high. I was appalled by American schools because students were disciplined and DID NOT CHEAT, and teachers treated students as people, not the case here at that time.

Teachers have problems in some specific cases, in which parents from certain ethnic minority, Spanish Gypsies, do threaten the life of teachers, and there's violence....also there are schools with a lot of immigration that are not violent, but drag the level down...so there's a flight to private schools, or semi-private schools (concertadas).

Last edited by pampliment; 10-29-2015 at 05:00 AM..

Old 10-29-2015, 05:54 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,681 times
It depends. In the past rules were more straight for children and kids used to beahve much better than now. Nowadays teachers have less autority and parents more power about education inside school.

But we don't have so much problems here at least in early ages, there are still rules and forbidden actions in schools. But I worked in a Kindergarten in Germany last year and that was the kingle, every single classroom and kid have their own rules and preferences and kids are quite spoiled there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampliment View Post
Teachers have problems in some specific cases, in which parents from certain ethnic minority, Spanish Gypsies, do threaten the life of teachers, and there's violence....also there are schools with a lot of immigration that are not violent, but drag the level down...so there's a flight to private schools, or semi-private schools (concertadas).
True, I have some friends who are teachers at public schools and they are completely stressed, even having a bigger salary than semi public ones, I would prefer to work in the last ones, and also bring my future children to concertadas.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:02 AM

This is the typical product of the public education system, "el cani", "killos", "jonathans" and "jennifer". The three girls are poligoneras.

Last edited by pampliment; 10-29-2015 at 06:13 AM..

Old 10-29-2015, 06:11 AM

24,538 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I thought children in European cultures were more respectful of authority than those in U.S. culture.
What age group are you referring to as children?

Old 10-29-2015, 06:18 AM

Canis adopted Obama, interesting.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:59 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,124,703 times
Kind of depends here, in the upper "Gymnasiums" the kids don´t make too much trouble, they have enough to do just to keep up, in the mid level "Realschulen" it is still mostly ok but the lower level "Hochschulen" I think many are a bit out of control. Also depends a lot on the community where the schools are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe