Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 12:01 PM

149 posts, read 207,362 times

Advertisements

I've got about 1,500 US dollars right now. This is literally the most money I've ever had in my possession at one time. And I'm wondering how much money it would take to...well I know a ticket to Helsinki would be about 500$, but don't they want to make sure you have a certain amount? Would 1500$ be enough in stock or would the customs officers expect me to have more in stock? also would they expect me to have real plans, or can I just say that I'm staying at Hostel X and exploring a new culture?

Maybe this would be a waste of money to make a trip right now. I'm not like a holiday person or anything, I'm just a guy who's trying to overcome the rat race of the US. It's kinda hard, and I'm sort of wondering if there would be any solution in say Finland or Denmark. Maybe I show up, find work etc and make a go of it...or just somehow make a go of it, get married, etc., take my 'music career.' Maybe this isn't the best time with the current crisis going down. Or maybe the crisis is not that big of a deal, any insight would be appreciable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 05:10 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,908,756 times
Do you know how high unemployment is in Europe currently? It wouldn't matter if you had $15,000. What you need are sought-after qualifications and job experience. No advanced qualifications equals no chance.
By the way you would need a return ticket or you will find yourself on the next flight home. I would give you some encouragement if I could think of any way your plan wasn't hopeless but I can't.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:19 PM

749 posts, read 857,191 times
Unlike what has been said above, I don't think you necessarily need a high qualification to emigrate to a European country. The vast majority of immigrants have little to no skills due to the native population being highly skilled.
First off you would need residency documents and get it you would need a job offer. If you want to chance of moving to a EU country your best chance would be have knowledge a country's language and be ready to take up whatever job is available. Also $1500 might be way too little to get started.

Old 10-31-2015, 10:59 AM

45 posts, read 35,203 times
Goodness no. That's barely enough money to last you one month, let alone to do anything useful.

Also, you're not going to get far without some sort of connections in Europe if you want to get into the arts. The arts happens to be one of those industries that's pan-European, but the UK is very connected with the USA for music and movies. If you're Latin American then Iberia is very accepting of South American culture.

Old 10-31-2015, 04:02 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,987,285 times
Not at all. That is too little .With $1500 the customs at the airport would certainly expect a return ticket.

Old 10-31-2015, 04:19 PM

4,614 posts, read 3,307,687 times
I think we have to accept that most European countries are not looking for immigrants right now. They've got this huge influx of migrants on their plate right now and while Germany was accepting of many hundreds of thousands of migrants because they need more work force, they too are getting more choosy. Sweden, the number two destination on the list of all these near East migrants, is also getting full up. In fact, Sweden has taken more migrants per ratio to their population than any European country this year.

This is a bad time to be considering Europe. They are all at their wits' end trying to figure out what to do with the waves of Syrian, Iraqi, Afghan, and Libyan people washing up on their shores.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:00 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,077,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seixal View Post
Unlike what has been said above, I don't think you necessarily need a high qualification to emigrate to a European country. The vast majority of immigrants have little to no skills due to the native population being highly skilled.
First off you would need residency documents and get it you would need a job offer. If you want to chance of moving to a EU country your best chance would be have knowledge a country's language and be ready to take up whatever job is available. Also $1500 might be way too little to get started.
The vast majority that come to the EU at the moment, is either through asylum or family reunion with a previous asylum seeker. Neither will do work any time soon. EU is only generous to asylum seekers, normal immigrants get nothing.

Not only can he not get a work permit, but even if he got a work permit, he would not get a decent job. There exist jobs for foreigners who can only speak english, but you will only get paid 2-5 euros per hour.

To the OP, the grass is not always greener on the other side of the atlantic. Many people struggle in the EU, just like in the US.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:04 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
If I remember correctly the OP does not really want to work, he wants to show up and start collecting whatever welfare benefits he can.

Old 11-01-2015, 01:04 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,348,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
I think we have to accept that most European countries are not looking for immigrants right now. They've got this huge influx of migrants on their plate right now and while Germany was accepting of many hundreds of thousands of migrants because they need more work force, they too are getting more choosy. Sweden, the number two destination on the list of all these near East migrants, is also getting full up. In fact, Sweden has taken more migrants per ratio to their population than any European country this year.

This is a bad time to be considering Europe. They are all at their wits' end trying to figure out what to do with the waves of Syrian, Iraqi, Afghan, and Libyan people washing up on their shores.
Let's put aside the fact that OP is a troll who's coming here ever couple of weeks: I doubt that someone from the US who considers moving to Europe competes with dirt poor Middle Easterners job-wise.

Old 11-01-2015, 04:09 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,817,534 times
1500 dollars is too little, they wouldn't last you even a month especially in an expensive country like Denmark. I don't think you need to be skilled to search for a job, most of the immigrants who come here aren't and they still find jobs. For example, finding a job as a waiter shouldn't be too hard although you wouldn't get much out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe