Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 08:16 AM

1,704 posts, read 1,838,977 times

Advertisements

Even though there is something 'brewing'in Germany, for a tourist it is still relatively safe, so no pepper sprays, butterfly knives or hand grenades needed for your own protection.

And as others have mentioned already, Cologne and Frankfurt are pretty bland cities not really worth visiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 01:57 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Check the laws regarding personal self defense items like pepper spray or taser.
Tasers illegal in both Germany and the Netherlands. Pepper spray legal in Germany for defence against animals, illegal in the Netherlands. So leave them at home.

---

If the OP is genuinely worried; Western Europe is extremely safe on any global standards. Despite all American fearmongering, assaults are rare isolated events. The worry is comparable to the question: "Because of the San Bernardino shootings, is it safe for me to travel to Boston".

Old 01-17-2016, 02:01 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Check the laws regarding personal self defense items like pepper spray or taser. If it's legal, keep one of them on you and at the ready when you see a group of men gathered and they make you feel uneasy. Trust your instincts. If you get an uneasy feeling about them, get your spray or taser in hand and ready to use if needed. It does no good at the bottom of a purse. Also consider a loud piercing whistle. While the pepper spray and taser may be illegal, the whistle is legal.
You don't even live in Europe. How do you know how likely this is to happen? Over-reaction to recent events, much?

BTW, how would a North American get a bottle of pepper spray onto a plane? Airport security probably wouldn't allow it in checked luggage, either.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:05 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post

If the OP is genuinely worried; Western Europe is extremely safe on any global standards. Despite all American fearmongering, assaults are rare isolated events. The worry is comparable to the question: "Because of the San Bernardino shootings, is it safe for me to travel to Boston".
This. It reminds me of the "There's rioting in LA, so should we cancel our trip to Florida?" mentality some Europeans had, in bygone years.

Old 01-18-2016, 06:41 AM

30 posts, read 27,377 times
To Greysholic, you nailed it. But trains are much faster. How many high speed trains are there in Europe? I googled out DB Bahn and ICE. Is it convenient for me to get on board with my luggages?

As to pepper spray, where can I obtain it? I am only curious how it stinks. Now with many assurances here, I definitely feel more comforted.

Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Old 01-18-2016, 07:03 AM

786 posts, read 811,870 times
Yes. You ought to be aware that I, for one, take you to be scamming. There's something that doesn't ring-true about you
A 'research-project', is it? I'll give you 'pepper spray'!

Last edited by OldChina; 01-18-2016 at 07:14 AM..

Old 01-18-2016, 07:05 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
My suggestions:

Fly into Berlin. Spend a day or so there.

Rent a car with a GPS.

Visit relatives in Amsterdam.

Bypass Cologne and drive south straight into Wurzburg. Drive the Romantic Road route that goes through Heidelberg.

Visit Neuschwanstein and then head for the Munich area. Plan to visit AROUND Munich, not necessarily spending a lot of time IN Munich.

Head back up toward Frankfurt, hitting Nuremberg on the way.

Fly out of Frankfurt.

Don't worry about pepper spray or anything like that. Travel in a group, use common sense precautions like any group of women should do anywhere, and you'll be fine. Germany is beautiful and safe.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:24 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,877,240 times
Germany is right now a country Under siege, awaiting millions more immigrangts from the middle east. Wake up folks ! you seem to live in a fancy (autistic?) world and having no clues of whagt is happening right now in that country. It's very very bad. And yes there are sightseeings in Cologne like the cathedral. But the main attraction of Cologne is its lively people who speak "kölsch" (local version of German) and are very feisty (Carnival in Februar-March). Speaking of Carnival, the authorities are terrified at the possibly of terrible things happening in theis year Carnival following the terrorist threat in Europe and the pathetic events of New Year's Eve , not only in Cologne, but also in many other German cities , in Switzerland, Sweden, Finland...

Old 01-18-2016, 07:30 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,877,240 times
Oh and...contrary to some advices above, do buy Pepper spray. Young women in Cologne and other German cities are doing it massively right now so "when in Rome, do like the Romans do" !

Old 01-18-2016, 07:35 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You don't even live in Europe. How do you know how likely this is to happen? Over-reaction to recent events, much?

BTW, how would a North American get a bottle of pepper spray onto a plane? Airport security probably wouldn't allow it in checked luggage, either.
Women traveling to a foreign land should have some form of protection. I even gave my wife pepper spray for her protection when I'm not home or with her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe