Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 10:35 PM

30 posts, read 27,377 times

Advertisements

I am planning a one to two weeks holiday with my friends end of this year, preferably to visit Frankfurt and Munich. My relatives reside in Amsterdam and Rotterdam. It's sort of courtesy to show up I guess since I have never formally visited them. That means, I would have to touch down Frankfurt/Munich, bypass Cologne to Rotterdam then Amsterdam, and rout back the route.

Safety issues are my main concern, given that we are a group of girls (we are pretty aloof, highly sheltered southeast asians) travelling to an unexplored territory. I read news about migrants and am thinking of a way to avoid Cologne. Most likely, I am spending one to two days in the Netherlands. Should I take separate regional flight to Amsterdam from Frankfurt instead? That would add costs. Do you think I will have enough time to get back to Germany?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2016, 10:50 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,347,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretzel09 View Post
I am planning a one to two weeks holiday with my friends end of this year, preferably to visit Frankfurt and Munich. My relatives reside in Amsterdam and Rotterdam. It's sort of courtesy to show up I guess since I have never formally visited them. That means, I would have to touch down Frankfurt/Munich, bypass Cologne to Rotterdam then Amsterdam, and rout back the route.

Safety issues are my main concern, given that we are a group of girls (we are pretty aloof, highly sheltered southeast asians) travelling to an unexplored territory. I read news about migrants and am thinking of a way to avoid Cologne. Most likely, I am spending one to two days in the Netherlands. Should I take separate regional flight to Amsterdam from Frankfurt instead? That would add costs. Do you think I will have enough time to get back to Germany?
Safety shouldn't be a concern for you... Germany is ridiculously safe.

I would avoid Frankfurt and Cologne nevertheless. Those cities are pretty boring and not really that beautiful... It always amazes me that tourists really want to go there. Use the extra days to explore more of the Netherlands/Amsterdam (one or two days isn't nearly enough for that) or Munich and its surroundings.

As far as transportation is concerned, I'd probably opt for a bus. It's cheaper and faster considering that you don't have to go through security at Frankfurt's or Munich's airport.

Old 01-16-2016, 10:53 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,929,935 times
You could also take the train - there are direct ones from Frankfurt to Amsterdam.

Old 01-17-2016, 12:05 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
Check the laws regarding personal self defense items like pepper spray or taser. If it's legal, keep one of them on you and at the ready when you see a group of men gathered and they make you feel uneasy. Trust your instincts. If you get an uneasy feeling about them, get your spray or taser in hand and ready to use if needed. It does no good at the bottom of a purse. Also consider a loud piercing whistle. While the pepper spray and taser may be illegal, the whistle is legal.

Old 01-17-2016, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Check the laws regarding personal self defense items like pepper spray or taser. If it's legal, keep one of them on you and at the ready when you see a group of men gathered and they make you feel uneasy. Trust your instincts. If you get an uneasy feeling about them, get your spray or taser in hand and ready to use if needed. It does no good at the bottom of a purse. Also consider a loud piercing whistle. While the pepper spray and taser may be illegal, the whistle is legal.
Totally unnecessary, but okay.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:26 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Totally unnecessary, but okay.
The hundred or so women sexually assaulted would disagree with you.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:29 AM

844 posts, read 1,064,478 times
Quote:
Pepper spray is not allowed in Germany. Source? Myself-Mexican woman- came for vacations in 2013, was stopped at airport and held for over and hour regarding such thing. In the end, pepper spray was confiscated and I continued my journey from Frankfurt to Rome.

Old 01-17-2016, 02:36 AM

Quote:
The hundred or so women sexually assaulted would disagree with you.
The chances of being harmed in Germany are close to zero. Even American media can't change that fact...

Old 01-17-2016, 03:07 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,126,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztecgoddess View Post
Pepper spray is not allowed in Germany. Source? Myself-Mexican woman- came for vacations in 2013, was stopped at airport and held for over and hour regarding such thing. In the end, pepper spray was confiscated and I continued my journey from Frankfurt to Rome.
Pepper spray is legal and sold all over but it can only legally be sold as protection from animals. So if you use it against a person it is a violation of the law.

Still for a tourist totally unnecessary. If you make a habit of hanging out late at night in big city's in front of the train station it might not be a bad idea. Germany is still one of the safest places in the world.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:11 AM

8,867 posts, read 8,452,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretzel09 View Post

That explains your safety concerns over Germany. Are you from Singapore?

Anyways Cologne is boring af, as is Frankfurt. Amsterdam is pretty nice, though Berlin is even better.

And yeah buses are a lot cheaper. I don't think trains are a good idea as they are outrageously expensive and not much more comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe