Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your favorite?
London 7 11.67%
Paris 4 6.67%
Brussels 1 1.67%
Berlin 9 15.00%
Moscow 3 5.00%
Milan 1 1.67%
Barcelona 6 10.00%
Athens 1 1.67%
Lisbon 6 10.00%
Stockholm 3 5.00%
Dublin 0 0%
Amsterdam 2 3.33%
Oslo 1 1.67%
Helsinki 1 1.67%
Geneva 2 3.33%
Another 13 21.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 09:04 AM

218 posts, read 199,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krokodill View Post
Mérida, Badajoz, España
Mérida, Yucatán, México
Mérida, Venezuela

I have seen films about both American Meridas and both are beautiful cities.
Mérida in Spain is ancient Emerita Augusta, a retirement city for Roman soldiers.
In the film "Gladiator", the main interpreter was from "Emerita".
The city is beautiful but too much tourism.

Good to know
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 11:32 AM

1,514 posts, read 1,795,280 times
I would never want to live in a very large European city, they all have at least two or three of the following strikes against them:

-Crowded (with locals and/or tourists)
-Petty criminals
-High-density
-Expensive
-Public transportation that is expensive/dirty/unreliable (compared with large Asian cities)
-Bad traffic
-Polluted (too many diesels on the road)

Of that list, London would be my least-favorite. It manages to have ALL of the problems on that list (with the possible exception of #2, it seems safe with cameras everywhere), plus bad weather. And the city gov't's has the SAME solution for every problem it faces - charge a fee! Fee to drive into the city, fee to watch the fireworks, sheesh...they'll put meters on their park benches before long.

I lived in The Hague for a year and a half and grew to love it. It felt more like a large village than a city, with lots of parks, quiet neighborhoods, non-astronomical rent, and crowds/traffic that weren't too bad outside of the very center. I'd be happy to live there, or perhaps in a mid-sized southern European city like Split or Girona.

Last edited by gwarnecke; 01-29-2016 at 11:44 AM..

Old 01-29-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
I would never want to live in a very large European city, they all have at least two or three of the following strikes against them:

-Petty criminals
-High-density
-Expensive
-Public transportation that is expensive/dirty/unreliable (compared with large Asian cities)
-Bad traffic

Of that list, London would be my least-favorite.

I lived in The Hague for a year and a half and grew to love it. It felt more like a large village than a city, with lots of parks, quiet neighborhoods, non-astronomical rent, and crowds/traffic that weren't too bad outside of the very center. I'd be happy to live there, or perhaps in a mid-sized southern European city like Split or Girona.
-Crowded : well, yes, but I think that's great, you can find so many people and so many women
-Petty criminals : Huh what? Crime rate is much higher in Houston...
-High-density : Well yes, and that's great because you can find everything you need at a walking distance
-Expensive : True, most of the time they're expensive
-Public transportation that is expensive/dirty/unreliable : Apart from cities such as London and Stockholm they're not that expensive, and I never had to complain about unreliability in Brussels. Paris is quite dirty though. However I doubt Houston has a reliable and clean public transportation it's very car-centric
-Bad traffic : Well yes, but you don't need a car to live in a big Euro city, they're a burden more than anything else.
-Polluted (too many diesels on the road) : Not all of them, Paris is quite polluted though. But Houston mustn't be less polluted with all these industrial firms.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:56 AM

1,514 posts, read 1,795,280 times
Read carefully. I said at least 2-3 of the following, not necessarily all. And I never said that Houston was perfect either.

As for public transportation, I'll admit that some cities at least offered cheap and high-frequency service. London's underground was terrible, it was extremely expensive unless you rode many times a day and hit your daily cap, and there were lots of shutdowns both times that we went. The Netherlands was clean, but my wife took the train to work everyday and constantly complained about the service disruptions. Best cycling infrastructure in the world, though.

Last edited by gwarnecke; 01-29-2016 at 12:06 PM..

Old 01-29-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Read carefully. I said at least 2-3 of the following, not necessarily all. And I never said that Houston was perfect either.

As for public transportation, I'll admit that some cities at least offered cheap and high-frequency service. London's underground was terrible, it was extremely expensive unless you rode many times a day and hit your daily cap, and there were lots of shutdowns both times that we went. The Netherlands was clean, but my wife took the train to work everyday and constantly complained about the service disruptions. Best cycling infrastructure in the world, though.
Yeah, London's transports are too expensive, I couldn't believe it!*

Quote:
Best cycling infrastructure in the world, though
So true!!!

Old 01-29-2016, 02:21 PM

Copenhagen

Old 01-29-2016, 02:25 PM

Glasgow

Old 01-29-2016, 02:40 PM

Marseille

Old 01-30-2016, 12:49 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,325,411 times
Quote:

-Petty criminals
-High-density
-Expensive
-Bad traffic

Of that list, London would be my least-favorite. It manages to have ALL of the problems on that list (with the possible exception of #2, it seems safe with cameras everywhere), plus bad weather. And the city gov't's has the SAME solution for every problem it faces - charge a fee! Fee to drive into the city, fee to watch the fireworks, sheesh...they'll put meters on their park benches before long.

London is basically morphing into one massive Monaco full of utopian spas and luxury facilities tailored specifically for the international jetset class. It is definitely possible to live frugally in Central London and have fun at the same time, provided you're meticulously organized, but only in the former context can its appeal be fully understood.

Old 01-30-2016, 02:53 AM

905 posts, read 791,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDenizen View Post
Honestly I didn't feel that way, Downtown Brussels seemed pretty joyful to me when I lived there.
When I first visited Brussels in 2004 I would have agreed with you despite there being snow on the ground. When I returned in 2014 it felt like it had gone downhill a little bit even though it was summer with small crowds of people standing around up to no good (saw a mugging in progress) and increased tagging negatively impacting its appearance. Still like it very much though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe