Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 09:47 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,560,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post
I think there are various reasons for unemployment in the EU (might apply to the US and Japan as well):

automation and globalisation, TVs, computers and the like, none of this is manufactured anymore in the EU as far as I know.

rigid laws concerning dismissal protection plus high additional cost of work, it's easier in Germany to get divorced than to fire an employee in certain cases, don't know if this is sound

stagnant domestic demand, most people have everything they need
What

I thought Germans have flexible employment laws
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 10:27 AM

820 posts, read 954,375 times
Quote:
I think there are various reasons for unemployment in the EU (might apply to the US and Japan as well):

automation and globalisation, TVs, computers and the like, none of this is manufactured anymore in the EU as far as I know.

rigid laws concerning dismissal protection plus high additional cost of work, it's easier in Germany to get divorced than to fire an employee in certain cases, don't know if this is sound

stagnant domestic demand, most people have everything they need
Infact employment rate are much higher in every European country than in the USA...for every age group..
So your comment doesn t make sense at all...

Old 06-21-2016, 10:32 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,817,186 times
Where's all the money coming from to make French workers so happy?
I've read that unemployment is high among the Muslims living in the housing projects.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:34 AM

8,867 posts, read 8,452,657 times
Quote:

Well but cars and airplanes are, so there's that. Luxury things as well, like designers' clothes and whatnot.

And there are lots of those startup thingy, like the high tech crap. I have no idea what they do but apparently they are very in now lol.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Where's all the money coming from to make French workers so happy?
I've read that unemployment is high among the Muslims living in the housing projects.
They probably found a treasure

Old 06-21-2016, 12:00 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,335,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroW View Post
Infact employment rate are much higher in every European country than in the USA...for every age group..
So your comment doesn t make sense at all...
What do you mean? I do not know the figures of the US but I have never claimed that they are higher than in the EU, the US has all that Google and Apple stuff that the EU does not have; none the less I wouldn't wonder if the US faces similar problems as the EU in general in terms of automation and jobs transferred to China or elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
What

I thought Germans have flexible employment laws
A lot of regular staff has been substituted by leased laborers ("thanks" to the Social Democrats), they are easy to hire and fire but people who have been working in a company for a long time, are quite difficult to fire.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:06 PM

400 posts, read 422,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian (x)lurker View Post
because of Germany and their racist gross austerity monetary policy
they don't want eurobond
they don't wanna print money and giving them to the poor to spend or buy houses, like Americans did
they wanna make banks loan only to people who doesn' need money

this tower of babel is tearin apart
That's the best answer so far.

Germans and some other surplus eurozone countries (netherlands? Finland?) seem to think it's a moral sin or somehing for any geographical entity to run a deficit and that eveyone should be in surplus. The question they will not answer is that for some entity to be in surplus, another must be in deficit and that entity should be supported in its ability to generate the wealth that will keep the core region of europe in surplus. People who oppose the 'transfer union', or the political rebalancing of surpluses rather than using the financial system to remediate them at interest, border on being at best unneighbourly and at worst, cruel.

Here in Canada - an outpost of anglo-saxon moralizing- all you hear is how the germans are working their fingers to the bone while the lazy layabout Greeks, Irish, Portuguese, and italians are a bunch of scroungers. Some of the comments I've read in the articles on the eurozone woes are as stupid as they are hilarious.

Europe over-all today is running a substantial deficit with the rest of the world of north of $350 billion US dollars, exporting unemployment and deflation because of this absurd idea. I recall reading many years ago of the system that John Maynard Keynes proposed at the end of the war to contain these ruinous excesses in either surplus or deficit by taxing them at the IMF level. Of course, the american guy nixed that proposal as he felt it preposterous that the then newly vanquished european powers should be given any say on how the US would dispose of its then substantial trade surplus. But keyne's concept was sound then and even more valid now in an era of low worldwide growth.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:25 PM

220 posts, read 173,406 times
Most of the Latin Mediterranean countries are very unhappy as to what has happened to them with all the austerity measures. Their economies are in ruin. This ruin has been going on since the collapse of 2008 with no end in sight.
Eventually the EU will fold or weaken, thereby allowing each country the freedom to have their own currency and the freedom to trade with whomever they please. These countries will eventually will start leaning towards the east that is, more extensive economic ties with Russia and China.
Actually it is already beginning to happen.
https://www.sott.net/article/320510-...-at-SPIEF-2016
China makes a big play to buy a strategic Greek port - Fortune

Old 06-22-2016, 04:13 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,335,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookyhere View Post
That's the best answer so far.

Germans and some other surplus eurozone countries (netherlands? Finland?) seem to think it's a moral sin or somehing for any geographical entity to run a deficit and that eveyone should be in surplus. The question they will not answer is that for some entity to be in surplus, another must be in deficit and that entity should be supported in its ability to generate the wealth that will keep the core region of europe in surplus. People who oppose the 'transfer union', or the political rebalancing of surpluses rather than using the financial system to remediate them at interest, border on being at best unneighbourly and at worst, cruel.
Don't forget that the Euro was forced upon the German people! It was France that demanded that Germany gives up the Deutsche Mark in order to accept the re-unification; without Euro, the southern countries (including) France would be better off. Why should the German people transfer money to the south (which they already do)?

Old 06-22-2016, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Don't forget that the Euro was forced upon the German people! It was France that demanded that Germany gives up the Deutsche Mark in order to accept the re-unification; without Euro, the southern countries (including) France would be better off. Why should the German people transfer money to the south (which they already do)?
Uh, no they don't transfer money to the south.

And you're wrong Germany pressed France to Euro!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe