Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 08:26 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,220,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Washington DC has very high violent crime rates, lots of poverty, and urban decay, you can't compare it to Western European cities. You just get what you pay for. If you look at the half way livable, more European like cities in the US like SF, NYC, Seattle or Boston, they are much, much more expensive than Western Europe overall.
DC is more expensive than Seattle most certainly, and about on par with Boston if not a bit more expensive. It's probably the #3 most expensive city in the US behind San Francisco and New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 09:16 PM

30,390 posts, read 19,184,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
DC is more expensive than Seattle most certainly, and about on par with Boston if not a bit more expensive. It's probably the #3 most expensive city in the US behind San Francisco and New York.
DC is certainly less expensive housing than Seattle overall....all the data I've read confirms this. It might be true that the nice areas of DC are more costly than similar areas of Seattle but the crappy areas of DC bring the average below Seattle.

About real estate prices in Italy, I reviewed several online sites and finished with comparing the USA and italy on Numbeo...there data shows that the average house price in Italy is much higher but the average rent prices are lower than the USA. The average total cost of living in Italy was projected to be about 15 % lower than the USA if you rent.

I also compared USA to Spain (where I'm now vacationing in my Marbella Condo) and the average house prices in Spain and USA are quite similar but rents are much lower in Spain. My condo in Marbella, which I consider Marbella comparable to Santa Barbara, the prices are much lower than comparable properties in Santa Barbara as in maybe 5 times cheaper. Overall cost of living in Spain is about 30% lower than the USA and it's an awesome place.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:18 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,654,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Washington DC has very high violent crime rates, lots of poverty, and urban decay, you can't compare it to Western European cities. You just get what you pay for. If you look at the half way livable, more European like cities in the US like SF, NYC, Seattle or Boston, they are much, much more expensive than Western Europe overall.
Think you're looking at old stats, like the people who think the US invaded Iraq for the oil.

DC was murder capital of the US 25 years ago, but like NYC has made big improvements. I'm not for a moment suggesting that crime is not an issue, but i would guess that 70-80% of violent crime in DC occurs in just one of the 4 quadrants, a place where tourists etc. never go. Probably similar in most cities.

Over the last 15 years, large areas of the city on the edge of the downtown core, that had been destroyed in the riots following the assassination of MLK in 1968 have now been redeveloped.

Relative to similarly sized US cities DC is no longer particularly violent. Relative to smaller cities it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ate_%282014%29

Old 02-08-2016, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
DC is certainly less expensive housing than Seattle overall....all the data I've read confirms this. It might be true that the nice areas of DC are more costly than similar areas of Seattle but the crappy areas of DC bring the average below Seattle.

About real estate prices in Italy, I reviewed several online sites and finished with comparing the USA and italy on Numbeo...there data shows that the average house price in Italy is much higher but the average rent prices are lower than the USA. The average total cost of living in Italy was projected to be about 15 % lower than the USA if you rent.

I also compared USA to Spain (where I'm now vacationing in my Marbella Condo) and the average house prices in Spain and USA are quite similar but rents are much lower in Spain. My condo in Marbella, which I consider Marbella comparable to Santa Barbara, the prices are much lower than comparable properties in Santa Barbara as in maybe 5 times cheaper. Overall cost of living in Spain is about 30% lower than the USA and it's an awesome place.
Real estate in Spain is inexpensive because they had a building boom, followed by a bust. Unemployment for the under 25's is north of 40% and they are still living with their parents, to a much greater extent than in other countries. That too will change.

Old 02-08-2016, 10:59 PM

30,390 posts, read 19,184,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
Real estate in Spain is inexpensive because they had a building boom, followed by a bust. Unemployment for the under 25's is north of 40% and they are still living with their parents, to a much greater extent than in other countries. That too will change.
Yes that's correct but Spain led the Eurozone in GDP growth in 2015 and projected to again in 2016 so I think they are gaining momentum to bounce back. People here in Marbella seem to be cautiously very optimistic.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:43 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,560,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Yes that's correct but Spain led the Eurozone in GDP growth in 2015 and projected to again in 2016 so I think they are gaining momentum to bounce back. People here in Marbella seem to be cautiously very optimistic.
Marbella is not related to real economy at all

And you can sustain a GDP growth based on construction for a very limited time

Old 02-09-2016, 07:31 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,116,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Can anybody elaborate on that??

What is the average price of 1 bedroom flats in major cities and Sicily??

Also what are most used real estate websites like here Trulia, Realtor, Zillow...etc.

Thanks a lot

You are unable to find those websites by your own. But you know about the differences in the calculation of the living area between the U.S. and Italy? You are able to compare the quality of the construction and the quality of the equipment? You are able to judge whether the quarter is a well desired place or not?
Ridiculous!

Old 02-09-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
Marbella is not related to real economy at all

And you can sustain a GDP growth based on construction for a very limited time
As millions of Chinese, and a few hundred thou Irish could tell you........

It's also the capital of the Costa del Crime. Favorite bolthole for Northern European bad boys.

Why Spain's Costa del Crime is now the worst place to go ...

The Telegraph - Telegraph online, Daily Telegraph, Sunday Telegraph - Telegraph › ... › Europe › Spain

Irish body count mounting on 'Costa del Crime'

www.irishtimes.com/.../crime.../irish-body-count-mounti...

Old 02-09-2016, 09:27 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,296,223 times
From what I've seen, Italy is generally cheaper than France. The salaries are usually lower though.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:43 AM

8,633 posts, read 9,142,888 times
A couple of years ago it appeared to me southern Italy had some real bargains, Calabria to be exact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe