Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 04:34 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,557,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
This two lines reek of nonsense and ignorance.

First of all, mafia isn't present in all of Sicily, there are large swaths (the whole Southest of Sicily, from Syracuse to Gela and Licata) where its influence is minimal. This is the wealthiest area of Southern Italy. The mafia is actually dwarfed in Italy and Europe by ndrangheta who controls 80% of Europe's drug trafficking. There are good chances that the drug dealer in the street below you gets it from them

Aside from that, he mafia protecs the city from what? There's literally nothing to defend Sicily from. The mafia is a threat to the lives of hardworking citizens through the practice of racket, drug trafficking, human trafficking, ecc.

The mafia may not be a menace to the tourist but it is to anyone who lives there, it's stopped the growth of a land who could have been as well developed as Northern Italy and whose citizens are and have been forced to emigrate elsewhere. Sicily sure is lovely but they are one of the reasons as to why it isn't even more. Countless of lives have been lost due to them including those of innocent civilians.

As an Italian, i find your statement very offensive, even if it was meant as a joke!
I meant Palermo and around.

Come on now!!!

They draw a lot of water there.

Besides mafia isn't what it used to be.

Now they are companies and "organizations".

Don't get a negative meaning

I love Italy and Sicily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 04:53 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,814,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Thomas View Post
I meant Palermo and around.

Come on now!!!

They draw a lot of water there.

Besides mafia isn't what it used to be.

Now they are companies and "organizations".

Don't get a negative meaning

I love Italy and Sicily.
Mafia is still strong in Palermo and the areas around but you would be surprised to know that things such as racket, drug trafficking, human trafficking are still prevalent. Them forming companies and organizations still reflects negatively on the citizens with corruption, inefficency, infrastructure's shortcomes and unfair competition against honest businesses.

I do get a negative meaning and i get that you seem to love my country at the point of moving here but if the mentality you will adopt once here will be condoning of mafia then i would rather you stay where you are. Mafia like any organized crime isn't something common people should be talking positively of unless they profit from them, do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe