Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 04:14 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,961,186 times

Advertisements

My coworkers daughter (around 25 years old) went to Germany two years ago. She is half American, half German, speaks both languages fluent.

Apparently, they gave her unemployment money even though she never paid a dime (Euro) into the system. She has an American Art college degree. After a few months she found (paid) internships and jobs here and there and lives with room mates in Berlin. She works for a tv station, doing some background work. She loves it there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 10:12 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,485,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hosken Powell View Post
The 'safety net' in Germany is not as amazing as many think it is.

Just as one example, there is no minimum wage. Germany is not Denmark, Sweden or even France. Of course it's better than, say, the USA, but I'm not sure it is even better than Greece. Isn't Greece's main problem they have far too much social spending compared to their GDP?
Germany Unemployment Rate | 1950-2016 | Data | Chart | Calendar | Forecast

5 Key Facts about the New Minimum Wage in Germany

Old 02-23-2016, 01:50 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
My coworkers daughter (around 25 years old) went to Germany two years ago. She is half American, half German, speaks both languages fluent.

Apparently, they gave her unemployment money even though she never paid a dime (Euro) into the system. She has an American Art college degree. After a few months she found (paid) internships and jobs here and there and lives with room mates in Berlin. She works for a tv station, doing some background work. She loves it there.
My niece, as I've mentioned before, went to Germany after graduating from college in the US. She's only of German heritage; she doesn't have any EU citizenship or anything, so she entered on a tourist visa. She was able to talk her way into a job (having some fluency in German), and from there, into a better job. Her employers had to facilitate the work visa, which needed to be renewed twice annually, but after 3 years, that requirement was dropped. She lived in Berlin, sharing an apartment with friends she'd met there, and loved it, like your co-worker's daughter. It seems like a great place for young people. Her only complaint, as I've mentioned to you before, is that she couldn't garner any attention from the local men her age. The foreigners in Berlin were more sociable, according to her. She's back in the US, now.

For foreigners who know German, there are jobs. Especially for people with computer skills. This leaves most immigrants out.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:03 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,797,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
But it was just approved a year ago. Germany didn't have a minimum wage until very recently.

And that is hardly a high minimum wage. Even the U.S. has higher minimum wage in most major cities/states. Places like NYC and Seattle and SF are now at $15/hr.
Well, Finland doesn't have any minimum wage. It would be useless. You can't draw any conclutions just by having a minimum wage or not.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:09 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,017,586 times
If you like Arabic 0_0 and cold weather.

Though yes, they seem to have high wages and good roads.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:21 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,797,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
If you like Arabic 0_0 and cold weather.

Though yes, they seem to have high wages and good roads.
Not that for example Sofia would have any warmer winters than Germany.

Old 03-05-2016, 02:46 PM
FBF

601 posts, read 932,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hosken Powell View Post
As a matter of fact, Germany does have a lot of jobs.

However, Berlin does not. Historically, Berlin has seen quite high unemployment compared to the rest of Germany.

Right now I believe Berlin unemployment is better than usual, around 11%, compared to 7% in the rest of Germany.

Berlin's main advantage is that it is inexpensive. It is probably the most inexpensive large city in the world.

It is a good place to try a new, creative business idea. I do not think it is a great place to go to find a regular job.
This!

My heart was heavy seeing the unemployed in berlin trying to make ends meat and how such a historical city has such high unemployment, yet it is the most inexpensive German city. Thankfully, the social welfare system helps them a bit.

The hostel I stayed at in Berlin is also used as a social gathering for the nearby apartment complexes to talk and have a beer at night. It was quite a site for us tourists to mingle with the natives drinking.

Old 03-05-2016, 08:47 PM

919 posts, read 839,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
But it was a lot easier to earn a buck. As long as you could hold a shovel you found work.

"Ach so, you komm zu Germoney and want wörk? Qualifications? Hmm. You speak German? No? Do you have a German bank account, housing and a German social security code? We have 10 Germans here in line. Work in a bar? Do you have a hygieny pass? Taxi? Have a taxi licence? Here fill out zese 100 forms and you will be competing wiz 10000 ozer applicants."
Hahahaha, you are a good writer!

Old 03-06-2016, 04:15 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,071,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
But it was just approved a year ago. Germany didn't have a minimum wage until very recently.

And that is hardly a high minimum wage. Even the U.S. has higher minimum wage in most major cities/states. Places like NYC and Seattle and SF are now at $15/hr.
No, minimum wage in NYC is $9 and in San Francisco it is $12.25. They are planning to implement $15 in the future, but I think that will be a massive failure.

Also, while Germany didn't have a minimum wage, they did have collective agreements in most sectors. Due to this, the minimum wage is going to have little effect on the German job market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe