Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 01:12 AM

671 posts, read 854,828 times

Advertisements

Many people use the word "racism" to mean "discrimination". It is a common usage. Also, since there is no scientific definition for "race", it is not wrong to use it to refer to an ethnic group. This is no more stupid than stating that there is a "Black race" or "White race" or "Hispanic race" or "Jewish race", etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 01:51 AM

122 posts, read 42,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Its a funny because Italians are some of the most racist people I have ever met.
My mom's family is Italian and they are indeed some of the most racist people I've known. Fortunately, my mom isn't ignorant like the rest of them are.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:45 AM

684 posts, read 714,236 times
I agree. There is a difference between lack of political correctness and restricting opportunities. Have I ever cursed some-one using traditional racial slurs directed at Italians in US ? Yes i did. I am not sorry.

the person was harassing me business wise, i clearly stated that i did not want because it was not in my interests. The form of harassment that was used has a financial measurement (meaning these people wasting my time costing me money.. )

So since you did not understand that i am not interested because it's not to my advantage (When i stated this 3 times before) and processeded to twist my arm, I started saying (i am refusing you business because you are a F$^& G#@%& !).

Now, how do i get reimbursed for the time that you musolinis wasted ?

Italian areas in NYC, Brooklyn are very interesting to visit. They have this ethnic sense to them. Italian tourists in NYC are interesting to observe. Italian restaurants (I am not talking about Pizza places), but even that, not really into Italian food.

But yahh, if seen Soprano's the TV show (it was filmed in NJ, the state I am in). Here you guys act like people owe you something....

Old 03-07-2016, 11:16 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,890,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainFog View Post
My mom's family is Italian and they are indeed some of the most racist people I've known. Fortunately, my mom isn't ignorant like the rest of them are.
That funny moment when you say you are not 'racist' being actually racist lol

Old 03-07-2016, 03:31 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainFog View Post
They are most likely second and third generation immigrants who have nothing Italian about them. The truth is that in the last few decades Italy has became quite a tolerant country, there's little in the way of discrimination. Probably Romas are the one who face it the most but that's because of the reputation they carry

Anyway, i have noticed that casual racism is quite common in the South but almost never meant whereas in the North there's more control and political correctness but there tends to be more individuals whoa re outspokenly racist or simply against immigrants regardless of where they come from. Just a casual observation of mine

Old 03-07-2016, 03:39 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The5thOfNovemner View Post
But yahh, if seen Soprano's the TV show (it was filmed in NJ, the state I am in). Here you guys act like people owe you something....
I will repeat again, most Italian Americans (especially the ones who have emigrated before the 80s as well as most second generation ones) are completely different culturally from Italians even though they try hard to act in our same way, i think they actually try to copy the Italian stereotype instead of the way we actually behave.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
I will repeat again, most Italian Americans (especially the ones who have emigrated before the 80s as well as most second generation ones) are completely different culturally from Italians even though they try hard to act in our same way, i think they actually try to copy the Italian stereotype instead of the way we actually behave.
I am some-one who is aware of it.

Why be smarter then others ? For example questioning reputation of Islam since terrorism comes from Muslims, will get more Muslims oppose terrorism.

Obviously the vast majority of Muslims are peaceful people.

Just to contribute to our conversation about Donald Trump.... First generation immigrants, from switching cultures often have post traumatic stress disorder. So even at that 1st generation Italian immigrant is different from a Tourist from Italy.

Italy's situation is also different from let's say Ukraine, in Ukraine people with means and education try to leave first while in Italy I would imagine people with good education and stable jobs and careers would stay.... You can consider many factors.

I agree with poster above that not using political correctness and using rascal slurs is not the same as discrimination. (Real racism). So given the number of Italian Americans out there who would not marry a none Italian or none Catholic while not having problems dating the same group. This is more discrimination aka real racism, then just using racial slurs when agitated.

Old 03-08-2016, 06:21 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,890,147 times
So I can call every Black person with the 'n-word'?
After all I'm not oppressing or discriminating that person right?

Old 03-08-2016, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
So I can call every Black person with the 'n-word'?
After all I'm not oppressing or discriminating that person right?
n word is a racial slur, but not every where. For example, I first learned that the N word is the name of the race of people originating from Africa, scientific name. Calling some-one black from that perspective is more offensive then using the formal name of the race.

It deals with colors and lack there off. Color black does not exist in nature, black is black hole traps light with it's velocity. It's the lack of color.

White is another interesting color, pure white is translucent. An invisible man is pure white... there is no such thing in nature as black skin color or white skin color.

I need to speak to people who deal with art and colors. Would all skin colors be a shade off beige ?

as far as calling you names, you did not understand me what I told you something politely and formally. You chose not to hear me. That bore a cost to me. So now I am glad you understand when curse you off with racial slurs Because if you fail to understand this, i will be forced to figure your are easier to kill then to deal with....

Capeesh?

Old 03-08-2016, 11:32 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,296,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
They are most likely second and third generation immigrants who have nothing Italian about them. The truth is that in the last few decades Italy has became quite a tolerant country, there's little in the way of discrimination. Probably Romas are the one who face it the most but that's because of the reputation they carry

Anyway, i have noticed that casual racism is quite common in the South but almost never meant whereas in the North there's more control and political correctness but there tends to be more individuals whoa re outspokenly racist or simply against immigrants regardless of where they come from. Just a casual observation of mine
Actually I have seen more casual racism here than in France and I was under the impression that political correctness was pretty low overall in Italy, but then that may be worse in the south.

I feel that the average Italian has low sympathy for the migrant, but then he does not feel threatened the same way people in some other countries do because many people feel migrants are not going to stick around anyway, and there's not much of a sense of nationalism here.

In France people usually hide racism under false reasons, for instance all those talks about laicity and the importance of eating the same thing as the good french, i.e. pork. Like, are you guys serious ?

Here I have heard quite a bit of older people expressing incomprehension about all those migrants, it seems that nobody ever thinks about the fact that Italians were the migrants one century ago. That is very weird to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe