Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 07:43 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,329,057 times

Advertisements

It feels like some people think we are all depressed and miserable and just waiting for an opportunity to kill ourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 10:14 AM

426 posts, read 394,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Depends pretty much on the stereotype. I heard from a certain Spanish poster that Scandinavian girls don't shave their body hair because of 'gender equality'.

Well, going back on topic: Finland is a damn safe place to live in. If a drunk-driver is caught it's small news the local newspaper, that tells something about how little there is to report. And here in Turku we had 0 murders in 2014, a city of 190k inhabitants.

Certain Spanish poster.. there are about 10 ersatz ones. The only women I have seen with body hair were Soviet women.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:01 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krokodill View Post
Certain Spanish poster.. there are about 10 ersatz ones. The only women I have seen with body hair were Soviet women.
It was Catbelle, and she admitted that it was as much a false stereotype as Spaniards having a siesta with a sombrero. Stereotypes exist all-around, some are true and some blatantly false. And I like her and she's really a nice person, so no harm done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
This view is not only quite common amongst a section of Italians when speaking of Northern Europeans (although Sweden, Netherlands, Germany, Denmark and Norway) are looked more and more as examples but incredibly amongst Southern Italians when speaking of their relatives (especially more successful) living up north.

Shame i have to spread reputation before repping this
Yeah I know. I don't know if I told this before you joined C-D, but my very good friend moved to Italy for a winter as his wife got a job in a small company in Tuscany. The people working there had the attitude "well great, here comes a Finn and puts this company back on track". It was a big dissappointment that the wife was in reality Spanish.

The second indicator and a huge source of confusion was when Mario Monti was elected as PM in Italy, he came to Finland and agreed on a personal one-hour face-on-face interview with YLE, the Finnish RAI. The reporter can ask anything, and very few leaders agree to this. Even to get the Prime Minister of Sweden is hard to get in that chair. Merkel said no, Hollande said no. T. H. Ilves, the President of Estonia was there once, and won't come a second time. But Monti said that "OK, let's do this thing", and we were like WOOOOOW. He used the whole hour telling that we are on the same side, Italy will not ask for bailouts, quite the contrary,they pay for them. And we who know the concept revelled in grandieuse. OOOOOH, Finland STRONK, the PM of BIG ITALY sat in the chair few dare to!

(And Italy and Finland has always had excellent relations while being very different cultures, Italy has a certain high position here.) If the PM of Slovakia would've sat in that grilling chair, who would've even care to watch the programme? Nobody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe