Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 02:07 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,825,803 times

Advertisements

The Kola peninsula is extremely polluted, so I doubt anyone is really interested in travelling there.

"The region around the nickel and copper smelting plant of Severonikel on the Kola Peninsular in the Russian Arctic is one of the most polluted regions on Earth. The facility is owned by the privatized Norilsk Nickel, Russia's leading metal producer and its leading air polluter. Around 1400 square kilometres of vulnerable tundra forest adjacent to the nickel smelter appears as dead land, destroyed by sulphur dioxide and heavy metal poisoning. It is estimated that 8,100 hectares of land have been damaged beyond rehabilitation."

Magnum Photos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 08:26 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
The Kola peninsula is extremely polluted, so I doubt anyone is really interested in travelling there.

"The region around the nickel and copper smelting plant of Severonikel on the Kola Peninsular in the Russian Arctic is one of the most polluted regions on Earth. The facility is owned by the privatized Norilsk Nickel, Russia's leading metal producer and its leading air polluter. Around 1400 square kilometres of vulnerable tundra forest adjacent to the nickel smelter appears as dead land, destroyed by sulphur dioxide and heavy metal poisoning. It is estimated that 8,100 hectares of land have been damaged beyond rehabilitation."

Magnum Photos
The Peninsula itself isn't a good place to visit. However, the archipelagoes in the Arctic and the icebreaker cruises are what Rostourism is trying to promote.

Old 04-18-2016, 05:56 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,451,346 times
I think Murmansk and Arkangelsk need to focus on industrial persuits not something as mundane as arctic tourism. There's going to be an open passage due to the warming arctic and they can be points for shipping of great convenience on that route.

Let the Norwegians babysit the spoiled American tourists.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:07 AM

102,224 posts, read 107,999,816 times
The first Trip Advisor review said the ski resort was up to European standards. So apparently Russia is ready to do what it takes to attract and satisfy foreign tourists. Interesting.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:48 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
I think the advertisement is a little overblown to be talked about, it is merely advertising an expansion in an area, sort of like how Kansas will advertise something when in reality it is not going to compete with the popular areas, ever.

Murmansk is not a place for tourists, not even really travelers. It does not have the amenities many tourists expect when going to tourist areas. The place is for going to if you are into off the beaten path areas, visiting someone, or have specific interests in the place.

I have been there and know some people there, it is fun for me but that is because I was living like a local; the typical tourist would just have a miserable time and go on complaining how it is not like Paris.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I think the advertisement is a little overblown to be talked about, it is merely advertising an expansion in an area, sort of like how Kansas will advertise something when in reality it is not going to compete with the popular areas, ever.

Murmansk is not a place for tourists, not even really travelers. It does not have the amenities many tourists expect when going to tourist areas. The place is for going to if you are into off the beaten path areas, visiting someone, or have specific interests in the place.

I have been there and know some people there, it is fun for me but that is because I was living like a local; the typical tourist would just have a miserable time and go on complaining how it is not like Paris.
Northern Norway isn't like Paris, either. I think the concept is precisely to open the area to the off-the-beaten-track type of tourist. And Murmansk may have no amenities now, but that could change. Or....not. Maybe as someone else observed, it's more about cruising the islands and fjords, if there are any fjords. Still, cruises do have shore stops for shopping and such. So some kind of tourist shops would have to be established, at the very least.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:02 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,238,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The first Trip Advisor review said the ski resort was up to European standards. So apparently Russia is ready to do what it takes to attract and satisfy foreign tourists. Interesting.
Russia might be physically ready, but I don't know if Russia is willing.

I lived in Russia for a couple of years back in the early 1990s (oil and gas accounting software), mostly in Moscow. There is an element of paranoia in the Russian psyche (likely justified) that is also reflected in its government. This doesn't mesh well with the kind of open-door tourism that the Western wealthy prefer.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:03 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,825,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Northern Norway isn't like Paris, either. I think the concept is precisely to open the area to the off-the-beaten-track type of tourist. And Murmansk may have no amenities now, but that could change. Or....not. Maybe as someone else observed, it's more about cruising the islands and fjords, if there are any fjords. Still, cruises do have shore stops for shopping and such. So some kind of tourist shops would have to be established, at the very least.
Northern Norway has at least amenities, clean nature and better scenery. Murmansk has.... commieblocks, palsa bogs, destroyed ecology and trolleybuses.

Old 04-19-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
Russia might be physically ready, but I don't know if Russia is willing.

I lived in Russia for a couple of years back in the early 1990s (oil and gas accounting software), mostly in Moscow. There is an element of paranoia in the Russian psyche (likely justified) that is also reflected in its government. This doesn't mesh well with the kind of open-door tourism that the Western wealthy prefer.
True. If not paranoia, government indifference (or perhaps--hostility?) to the positive economic effect international tourism can have on local economies. Russia really botched some very successful tourist attention to the Lake Baikal area back in the early-to-mid 90's. Alaska Airlines, which was flying their own planeloads of tourists in on a weekly basis got red-taped to death, and had to give up. It's a real shame; Russia does have a lot of potential (though not so much in the Murmask area), but it goes unrealized due to a lack of vision perhaps mixed with a little paranoia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe