Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 12:48 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,049,587 times

Advertisements

I keep reading about the virtues of taxation, particularly among our friends from Europe. It got me to wondering if anybody here voluntarily sends additional money to their governments at tax time or are more taxes only good when some unknown 'rich' guy pays them. If more taxes are better, shouldn't we be doing everything we can to help out with current deficits? There must be a bunch of benevolent citizens sending extra money, right?

My guess would be that the people who demand more taxes are all kicking something extra into the kitty. They can't possibly ask more of others unless they are giving more themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 12:57 PM

24,508 posts, read 10,825,052 times
What are you smoking?

Old 09-01-2016, 01:00 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,183,718 times
Yes, I donate most of my money to the goverment. They need it.

Old 09-01-2016, 01:24 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,127,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
or are more taxes only good when some unknown 'rich' guy pays them.
Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of my laughter at the thought of rich people paying taxes.
They're pretty skillfull at avoiding the task.

It is the plebeians who maintain the country, we're the ones who suffer when they screw up, and we're also expected to fix their mess without complaining one bit.

Old 09-01-2016, 02:21 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,797,212 times
I don't know how it's possible to pay extra taxes, as in the end of the year they are returned to you.

Old 09-01-2016, 03:29 PM

After some research, five people in the UK voluntarily paid extra taxes in 2012. Four of them were dead people who bequeathed their estates to the government. So exactly one Brit felt that it was his or her duty to pay extra.

Taxes are good for thee but not for me. Is that pretty much the gist of how higher taxes are viewed?

Old 09-01-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arigarisha View Post
Sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of my laughter at the thought of rich people paying taxes.
They're pretty skillfull at avoiding the task.

It is the plebeians who maintain the country, we're the ones who suffer when they screw up, and we're also expected to fix their mess without complaining one bit.

Can you point to an example of a rich person who pays no taxes, with names?

Old 09-01-2016, 04:31 PM

1,529 posts, read 915,908 times
Quote:
I keep reading about the virtues of taxation, particularly among our friends from Europe. It got me to wondering if anybody here voluntarily sends additional money to their governments at tax time or are more taxes only good when some unknown 'rich' guy pays them. If more taxes are better, shouldn't we be doing everything we can to help out with current deficits? There must be a bunch of benevolent citizens sending extra money, right?

My guess would be that the people who demand more taxes are all kicking something extra into the kitty. They can't possibly ask more of others unless they are giving more themselves.
Threestep asked what are your smoking? Must be pretty cheap stuff.

Old 09-01-2016, 04:57 PM

776 posts, read 580,284 times
Quote:

I love this idea, it seems so funny to me. I got robbed the other night by a rich guy in a suit. Those roaming gangs of rich guys are causing trouble throughout the country again. Yes, I've been screwed out of money by my landlord that was rich and by my employer who is rich. But I got a great idea, lets not make better laws to make sure that doesn't happen, lets tax the rich 80%-90%-100%. Of course we could be stealing from hard working people, that worked hard to get degrees and great jobs, but I'm too lazy to be just. And those stupid economist across the country say that's not enough to cover everything, guess we'll have to lower the bar from rich to middle class, instead of finding why things are expensive and cutting cost.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:07 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:

Here we go - this is an answer for you;

//www.city-data.com/forum/45304483-post67.html

You don't need necessarily to "send extra taxes to the government." People might find other venues to benefit their society.
But that's when they think in terms of benefiting the nation - the nation you see, not some commercial territory created for opportunities to "make money."
So European countries are the true nations, the US - not so much. That's why the concepts of taxation, the whole approach to it are quite different. That's why you have hard time to accept European ways of doing things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe