Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 11:48 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,690,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by papuolo View Post
Technicians, I'm a qualified technician, will be obsolete as machines will replace -are replacing- us.
Sure, universal revenue based on several factors, tax on robots.
The economy will be more efficient, but no workers needed.
A solution will be found.
People could return to the countryside and grow organic products and built antique furniture, who knows?
When I'm saying technicians, I'm talking about those who will maintain robots operational...
This is valid in industry and we can see it today already, but what about services? Taxes gathered from consumption of the population (which will reduce very slowly but still it will have impacts) blablabla...

An interesting question is, is there in History a nation that was successfull in the long run with a declining population?

In France it's a topic that comes more and more in the debate, I wondered how other europeans are planning to solve it -specially Spain and Italy- or are talking about it... In Germany I guess they choosed strong immigration
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 12:58 PM

9,401 posts, read 14,347,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
Sure, future is for technicians and their robots...
What will you do with people that have zero qualifications (they will still exist) ?

A lot of countries will also face an enormous problem when it ll come to finance the retirement of old generations...and it will come before a super-digital economy.
I'm reading about this and there are a lot of consequences (+ or -) and a lot of them with no actual solution
A combination of widespread war and/or illness (e.g. bacteria with no antibiotic) could take care of this.

Don't put it past them.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:34 PM
F18

542 posts, read 530,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Most young people are unemployed because they don't want to work or they feel above the available jobs. Take government and parental assistance out of the equation and they'll find work.
No, most young people want to work but they can't because getting jobs, especially qualified jobs when they demand tonnes of experience and skills.

Leave your castle and see the real world out there.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:56 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,388,384 times
Developed countries can't afford a high fertility rate, so i think what is happen to Europe is normal since they have achieved for the most part a high level of development

Old 06-05-2017, 03:39 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,055,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
No, most young people want to work but they can't because getting jobs, especially qualified jobs when they demand tonnes of experience and skills.

Leave your castle and see the real world out there.
I see unfilled jobs all over the place.

Old 06-05-2017, 03:43 PM

5,700 posts, read 4,952,569 times
Robots/automations are going to take over the labor market in the next 10-20 years so this is in fact a blessing in disguise. What are countries like Nigeria going to do to solve their exploding young population? Where are they going to find/develop jobs for them? Also I think in the future Europe's fertility rate will stabilize and go back to replaceable levels, this happens a lot with other species, after a huge boom in population, their populations fall down and stabilize, or they go in cycles of growth and decline, this is very common among prolific breeders such as rodents.

Here is the history of birth/death rates of Russia, as you can see things are finally stabilizing.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._of_Russia.PNG

Old 06-05-2017, 03:46 PM
F18

542 posts, read 530,443 times
Quote:
Maybe in America but not in certain European nations.

Old 06-05-2017, 04:15 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,388,384 times
Quote:
Where...Not South America, not in Europe and not in North America....You must be talking about Asia

Old 06-05-2017, 04:19 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,993,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
Maybe in America but not in certain European nations.
That is true, even for my country. I lost count on the amount of jobs where even a simple job where the employer is asking a few years of experience. How inviting for that for someone that is new to the job market

Also you have to remember that there been a lot of layoffs and not off of Europe has fully recovered from the recession and in that respect there is not enough jobs for everyone.

Old 06-05-2017, 05:08 PM

58 posts, read 45,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Isn't that what immigration is for?
sure if you can get well qualified immigrants suited for the work force. That is a big if. And it does not help unattractive regions which are bleeding dry from the best and brightest. And then it discourages the rest who stay behind. Imagine if the top end of of a regular school class has problems few years down the road what do 60% of the people think is going to happen to them?

On the other hand the many chino shops in spain. It doesen't seem that would be too difficult for local people to run those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
A lot of young people that are unemployed do want to work, but it seems most jobs out there are looking for qualified people with some years of experience which they do not have.
Both of you are right. I think the demand for work is the much bigger factor. And if someone has fallen into the long term unemployed trap for any reason it is difficult to get out of. Why do people do unpaid work for a long periods and prolong their studies. To improve the cv.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe