Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2017, 07:45 PM

2,639 posts, read 2,001,088 times

Advertisements

Sorry, I messed up my last post. I wrote one thing, changed my mind, deciding to post the latin link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 06:26 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,086,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Ideally it should be like that, otherwise the whole EU thing will collapse in the end.

In reality it won't happen because too many countries are so "proud" to have a nation smaller than Ile-de-France, or even Madrid.
I don't think EU will collape, unless EU tries to become a country.
  • Financially unstable provinces do not want to be ruled by a few powerful european provinces.
  • Rich provinces do not like to transfer their wealth to poorer provinces.
  • Small provinces will feel powerless.
  • And EU has a democratic deficit, which is designed transfer power from the people to a few elites. Even now that is controversial, and will be significantly worse if EU is country.

Even if people started to become proud of EU and not their countries it would be still be an issue because they still care about money and power. The only way it can not be an issue, is if people stop identifying themselves with their countries/provinces, and EU got a shared language that everyone can speak. Thats not going to happen, hence making EU a country is a really bad idea.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:17 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,757,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
  • Financially unstable provinces do not want to be ruled by a few powerful european provinces.
  • Rich provinces do not like to transfer their wealth to poorer provinces.
  • Small provinces will feel powerless.
  • And EU has a democratic deficit, which is designed transfer power from the people to a few elites. Even now that is controversial, and will be significantly worse if EU is country.
Canada works like the above and it seems to be fine. You think Wyoming feels as powerful as California?

Also, I don't understand why people have to identify with a certain country, or region, or province - I know they do, just don't know why. We are ourselves, our thoughts, our value etc, and what does it have to do with arbitrary political entity? AGain i know it is important to many people, but it is completely meaningless. It is very an agricultural thing.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:41 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,516,086 times
Quote:
Canada works like the above and it seems to be fine. You think Wyoming feels as powerful as California?

Also, I don't understand why people have to identify with a certain country, or region, or province - I know they do, just don't know why. We are ourselves, our thoughts, our value etc, and what does it have to do with arbitrary political entity? AGain i know it is important to many people, but it is completely meaningless. It is very an agricultural thing.
It’s ironic when we look at the bigger picture. What is a country, if not an agreed upon imaginary point of demarcation. The problem with your logic, and that’s not a criticism as I actually agree with the underlying point, is that even if we were to group people entirely on the basis of a defined form of identification (be it social, cultural or political), we would still end up at the same stage in the long run with future generations.

The best thing would be for nation states to disappear in the long run. I want one nation on Earth, but that’s just a long term goal. It’s not really feasible at this stage with the level of disagreements found across all walks of life.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:06 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,340,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
France sees Eurozone as single

In that case, the Eurozone will be more competitive in the world and will be the 2nd or 3rd largest economy in the world!

Nominal GDP (Top 10): United States, Eurozone, China, Japan, United Kingdom, India, Brazil, Canada, Russia, South Korea
GDP (PPP) (Top 10): China, United States, Eurozone, India, Japan, Russia, Indonesia, Brazil, United Kingdom, Mexico
This will not happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
LOL. I have an easy test. Since Germany is the leading economic powerhouse of the EU, since Switzerland and Austria, Luxembourg, the Netherlands and Liechtenstein are among the highest per capita GDP on the Continent and understand or speak German, I propose that EU institutions and law of this new country be based on Germany with German the national language of the EU.

Try to get France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Greece, and Scandinavia to get on board with that...they won't and this is why the Eurozone will remain a loose confederation.
The Green party will wreck Germany in due time if they gain power. Switzerland is not even in the EU.

My opinion as a German is, neither France nor Germany should dominate the EU, nor any country should. The EU should have the least possible authority but the nations and maybe regions should govern themselves.

Quote:
How many European people really understand the economics and long term benefits of the EU project? Very few, so why do their opinions matter? One is entitled to a vote only when he has a deep understanding of the issue, otherwise, why bother?
If the EU is not intended to be a revival of the Soviet Union, people's voice should matter, otherwise it will end badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vette0009 View Post
Never happen after the Nazi Dictators in Brussels and Merkel Government assisted Invasion of radical Islamist
through out the EU assisting IRAN in their goal to spread Islam .Angela Merkel is considered a dictator worldwide and she is..
It's Saudi Arabia that spreadens the vilest and most violent kind of Islam in the world, not Iran.

Old 10-26-2017, 03:06 PM

820 posts, read 956,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
Oh yes, those US-Americans. We need to stand up to them, they're evil, enemy of Europe!! How dare they have aided Europe in getting rid of the Nazis. How dare they have aided in promoting democracy across the continent.

What drivel from some on the continent.
How dare The French saved Americans from the Brits...
What drivel from Brits and Americans who forgot that we saved the US first!

Last edited by amaroW; 10-26-2017 at 03:17 PM..

Old 10-26-2017, 03:13 PM

820 posts, read 956,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriko88 View Post
^I beg your pardon, I meant USA and Canada seen separately. As in integration between different US states. Both in LA and NY they listen to mostly the same pop music for example and are first American, then from LA or NY or whatever. In the EU we're first Italian, French whatever and then European. Cultural exchange between one US state and the others is more evident than between different European countries. Here even Spain is in the point of breaking into smaller parts, seems like we're more tribal haha.

Canada is slightly less integrated considering the French part, but outside of Quebec it's mostly all English. But in Europe French artists rarely have hits in the UK and German ones in Italy for example, usually only when they sing in English. British culture is the one most spread out on other countries musically and with movies but that's as far as it goes.
A long time ago, China was like EU today, many different countries with different cultures and different languages...

Old 10-26-2017, 04:04 PM

102,264 posts, read 108,293,393 times
France to push for Eurozone to integrate into a single great country

Yeah, that'll work.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:55 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,421,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutschland88 View Post
It is better that we would go back to killing each-other, than forfeit our cultures, ethnicity and languages voluntarily.
I agree that people should preserve and even revere their cultures, ethnicity, and languages, but it should come out of love for one's self, family, and culture rather than hatred of the 'other'.

Your type actually uses the latter to justify your lust for "killing each-other".

Old 11-21-2017, 10:15 AM

400 posts, read 423,553 times
France to push for Eurozone to integrate into a single great country

With the Capital of this new formation at Paris and its official language French.

The French are barmy. People aren't just cogs in a giant machine that ought to deliver 'efficiency' to their potentate masters in the Grand Capital. They are rooted to their traditions, lands, and ancestors and will resist like hell any efforts to efface these things from their lives. For what benefit, so that by their greater efficiency they are given the ability to afford more 'made in China' made junk that they don't need anyway ??

Opposition to Globalism stems from this fear of losing control to a central authority which uses people and doesn't need to listen to their concerns anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe