Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 01:47 PM

529 posts, read 558,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
. Food such as aranchini and cannoli are now found all over the place as well as, of course, the usual Italian food. .
Arancini, it’s arancini.
The group ch is pronounced as “k” in Italian.

Both arancini and cannoli are traditional Sicilian specialties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2019, 05:27 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,140,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backpaker View Post
It is amazing that you still do not get it.

You are not your seen as a European because you are NOT from Europe, you are seen as An American because you ARE an American.

Who cares about some Scottish ancestor, a thousand years ago Scotland did not even exist.... and 2000 years ago your ancestors were Probably somewhere in Afrika, like most of the human race ancestors. Does that mean you are also from Africa?
It is amazing that YOU still do not get it. I LOVE being an American. I don't WANT to be from any other place. I feel blessed to be an American.

It's still cool to me that my ancestors are from Scotland - and other places. That doesn't mean I think I'm "Scottish." Or "whatever."

And there ARE genetic differences between humans from different regions of the world. My adopted brother was half Korean. Because he was half Korean, he had Korean facial features, but because he was half "American" he was also 6'5" which is not typical for a Korean. But he wasn't simply "half American." Most Americans are not 6'5" either. He inherited these traits from ancestors whose ancestors had ancestors from different regions of our world.

My granddaughters are 1/4 "African American." AKA "black," except they aren't "black," and neither are their ancestors. But their ancestors have ancestors who have ancestors who came from Africa - and though my ancestors also probably at some point came from Africa too - it was a LOT "further back" for me than it is for them. Therefore, this ancestry shows up as more prevalent and visible in them than in me - it's just common sense. But here's something else interesting - out of my six granddaughters who are 1/4 African American, well, they have different skin tones, different hair textures, even different eye colors. You know why? Because they inherited different ratios of DNA from different ancestors.

So my daughter, whose father is "African American," shows up in her DNA as about 56 percent of "European ancestry." From her dad, she inherited a smattering of Italian ancestry (didn't come from me). But get this - she also inherited a bigger chunk of French/German ancestry than I did. And though I am predominantly English and Scottish (DNA wise) - like 70 percent or more - well, you'd think she'd be 35 percent or so, right? But she's not. Oh my, how is that?

My other brother and I are full siblings - we have the same two parents. But I inherited more DNA than he did from England and Scotland - and he inherited more DNA than I did from Germany and France. And please don't give me a history of Germany and France because I already know a lot about German and French history. And since our ancestors came from what is now called southern Germany and the Alsace Lorraine region as well as along the German and Swiss border - our DNA shows up as "German or French." Not "African." Not "Asian." But he has more "German and French" DNA than I do. OK.

My daughter in law is 100 percent Korean when it comes to her DNA. Now this has nothing to do with her citizenship - she is an American citizen. But she's also "Korean." And get this - this is the really cool part - she LOOKS Korean. Imagine that. And she doesn't look Japanese or Chinese. She looks Korean.

I know - it's crazy!

But the really cool thing is - we're all "Americans!"

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 11-07-2019 at 06:13 AM..

Old 11-07-2019, 02:19 PM

972 posts, read 545,217 times
Kathryn, I don't mean to discredit your interest in your ethnicity, but some of the variation you've seen in DNA tests might not be accurate. The DNA tests sold by genealogy companies are based on assumptions. Here's a CBC segment about it:

https://youtu.be/Isa5c1p6aC0

Old 11-07-2019, 02:31 PM

290 posts, read 180,425 times
DNA exams cannot show you geographic locations where your genes originated Because we all have the same genealogy, And we are a species of animal that originated in south-east Africa.

What DNA exams do , its find populations that have more or less the same variable, and claim that you are related to those people Because you have more or less the same ingredients.

All humans have the exact same human DNA, The difference that you talk about (eye colour, height) It is based on variables within the human genome.

It's like chocolate cake, They all have the same ingredients but some of them have a little bit more sugar than others, Others have more chocolate than others, And others more flour or eggs than others.

However the ingredients are all the same (Eggs flour milk chocolate sugar salt Baking powder), Except with variations on the amounts of each ingredient....but they are all chocolate cakes.

Old 11-07-2019, 03:27 PM

4,098 posts, read 3,741,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The Columbians control the cocaine, and the Chinese gangs along with the Russians and other East European gangs control a lot of human trafficking.
Actually its the Mexicans and the El Salvadoreans that control the Cocaine trade in North America and the Albanians/Gibraltarians that control the cocaine trade in Europe. The Colombians just produce it because demand is so great and Colombia has a 12 month harvesting season and can grow almost every crop on planet Earth. Coca harvests 5-6 times a year there as opposed to max 2-3 times in Peru or Bolivia. Colombia doesn't have a high cocaine consuming culture that prize goes to Albania, Spain, UK, Australia, USA and the Netherlands.

The UK's biggest drug bust in history just a month ago saw not one conviction of a Colombian or Colombian-descended national.

And its Australian drug mules like Cassandra Sainsbury that gets the drugs into Australia. These developed societies can't live happy lives without blowing their neurons away and leaving a bloodbath and trail of destruction in their wake. Although Brazil, Chile and Uruguay don't fair any better with their crack epidemics and high consumption.

As for Guidos to me they're entertaining. A little classless but fun, I think Italians may have a similar perspective.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:54 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,140,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
Kathryn, I don't mean to discredit your interest in your ethnicity, but some of the variation you've seen in DNA tests might not be accurate. The DNA tests sold by genealogy companies are based on assumptions. Here's a CBC segment about it:

https://youtu.be/Isa5c1p6aC0
Oh I don't really care about the specifics. My husband and I did the genetic testing to see whether or not we carried the gene for early onset dementia and/or Parkinson's for the most part - since both our moms had one or both these conditions. (We don't carry the gene, which means we have the same risk as the general population.)

We just happen to have a very visibly diverse family so there's a natural interest in those components.

Old 11-11-2019, 12:06 PM

993 posts, read 1,067,375 times
Ok, I'm an "Italian- American", 100%, and while we aren't technically "Italian" , Italian American is a unique culture in Th United States.

In fact, I'd say there are FOUR main types of Italian Americans- and all from the same roots but are very very different. I grew up in Texas, but to Italian Americans from New York City, and at an early age I started noticing the differences between the Texas Italian Americans and my family in NY. Here are the FOUR types

1) Northeast Italian Americans- These are the ones most associated with "Italian Americans" They came in through Ellis island and either remained in NYC or settled in other Northeast Cities- Boston, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, D.C. etc. There are strong Little Italy's present in thee cities and of the 4, these have maintained their identity the longest.

2) Gulf Coast Italian- Americans- These types are actually the oldest true "Italian Americans". New Orleans started accepting immigrants form Sicily and Southern Italy around the early 1870s? This where the Italian-American Mafia was started. Eventually, Galveston became another major port of entry and these type spread out to smaller Gulf Coast cities, assimilating to the southern culture pretty quickly...largely because they had to protect themselves from WASP discrimination. Most are more agricultural and they speak with southern accents.

In Houston, many of the early families established markets which eventually became restaurants. notable Italian American families in Houston include the Carrabbas, the Mandolas, the Fertittas, etc.

3) Midwest Italian Americans- These are the Italian Americans that settled more in the US interior. They are close knit, similar to the Northeast Italian Americans. Cities like St. Louis, Kansas City, Chicago, Detroit etc. have a strong Italian American presence. Yogi Berra, from the Hill in St. Louis is an example of this type. Al Capone, is a technically a New Yorker but we all know he is an infamous Midwest Italian-American figure.

4) California Italian American- These were the Italian immigrants that headed straight for California, a state with similar climate to Southern Italy. San Francisco and San Diego both have strong Italian roots and impressive Little Italys. In fact the Bank of Italy, now bank of America, was prominent in helping Italian immigrants, and other immigrants rebuild San Francisco after the Earthquake of 1906. Of course, this was ran by Amadeo Giannini. The California Italian Americans were quick to assimilate. In fact, I'd say they helped create the unique Californian culture. Joe DiMaggio was born in California, to Italian parents. A current California Italian- American is Gwen Stefani but yes, they are assimilated.

When I studied abroad in Italy, the natives seemed to care very little that I was Italian American. Nor, do MOST of the Italian immigrants I come across in Houston. It appears as if the Italian Americans care way more about it than their ancestral brothers and sisters. I say this to say we are different, but we are 100% born from the Italian culture...it's just become is unique culture and as I stated, there are FOUR different types of Italian Americans and yes, each passing day, we become less and less influenced by our roots but we aren't there quite yet!

Old 11-12-2019, 10:58 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,024,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHESTER MANIFOLD View Post
I'm just trying to figure the face of Spanish immigration officers when an AA comes to them and says: I might look African but I'm really Sephardic Muslim with some Klingon in it,
No look or concern. It’s total bureaucracy and paperwork to them. All I had to do is hand in the appropriate paperwork.

Old 11-12-2019, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
For Portugal the Portuguese descent needs to be recent at least one Portuguese grandparent and you have to demonstrate fluency in Portuguese and actual recent connection to a Portuguese community such as participation in cultural activities if you are living outside of Portugal. Those that haven't retained some culture, can't speak the language and can't even identify exactly where there family is from and sadly sometimes have Anglicized surnames are descendants they aren't real Portuguese people.
40,000 people have applied for citizenship via Sephardic heritage and for people with this there’s no language test.

Old 11-12-2019, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
As far as I understand it is not that simple to regain Italian citizenship. DH and his parents renounced their Italian citizenship to become Australian, before there was dual citizenship. Because he renounced it, it is not straightforward to regain it. Perhaps the rules have changed since we chased it up.

Italians seem to call people Americanos, if they have immigrated and they think they are well off. A friend who still has close family in Italy was saying that his brother was upset with him as they did not fly back to Italy for a family funeral (keep in mind this is a twenty- four hour flight costing thousands) Was told he was an Americano and could have come.
It’s very easy provided the person submit the relevant genealogical evidence. Millions of South Americans have Italian citizenship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe