Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 05:20 PM

7,320 posts, read 4,115,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
You didn't even say if you or your husband actually applied.
We have to collect my relative's birth and USA naturalize documents before we apply with the Italian Consulate.

The Italian Consulate has its rules on https://consnewyork.esteri.it/consol...anza/iure.html

Quote:
Italian citizenship can be passed on from one generation to the next with no limitations, provided that: the ancestor born in Italy was an Italian citizen at the time of his descendants’ birth neither the applicant nor any of the family members in direct line of descent have ever renounced their Italian citizenship
Italian Consulate require copies of USA naturalization records. It isn't like the Italian government isn't going to know what the USA laws of concerning dual citizenship were in 1930's

MOST IMPORTANTLY, MY USA CITIZEN FATHER-IN-LAW FOUGHT AGAINST ITALY IN WWII. Pretty much treason. This was years before my husband was born nulling his Italian citizen rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 01:37 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
We have to collect my relative's birth and USA naturalize documents before we apply with the Italian Consulate.

The Italian Consulate has its rules on https://consnewyork.esteri.it/consol...anza/iure.html

Italian Consulate require copies of USA naturalization records. It isn't like the Italian government isn't going to know what the USA laws of concerning dual citizenship were in 1930's

MOST IMPORTANTLY, MY USA CITIZEN FATHER-IN-LAW FOUGHT AGAINST ITALY IN WWII. Pretty much treason. This was years before my husband was born nulling his Italian citizen rights.
And those US laws were invalidated, so no Italian then gave you their dual citizenship.

Of course you haven’t applied so you don’t know what the consulate will actually say. Maybe you or your husband will get Italian citizenship. Maybe not. But until you actually speak to them and show them your records you don’t know.

Old 11-22-2019, 08:28 AM

7,320 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
And those US laws were invalidated, so no Italian then gave you their dual citizenship.

Of course you haven’t applied so you don’t know what the consulate will actually say. Maybe you or your husband will get Italian citizenship. Maybe not. But until you actually speak to them and show them your records you don’t know.
Enough already!

Really, the Italian Consulate would not have incorrect information on their website.

Secondly, these new USA dual citizen laws are not retroactive.

How Italian Americans are viewed by Italians is that they are American, not Italians.

Italian-Americans (with relatives who willingly relinquish Italian citizenship) need to live in Italy for three years for before becoming Italian citizenship.

People without any Italian heritage need to live in Italy for ten years before becoming Italian citizenship.

Italians want immigrants to integrate into their culture before granting them Italian citizenship. Italians are very proud of their culture and expect a level of conformity. Not the American way, but here's nothing wrong with that.

Old 11-23-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Enough already!

Really, the Italian Consulate would not have incorrect information on their website.

Secondly, these new USA dual citizen laws are not retroactive.

How Italian Americans are viewed by Italians is that they are American, not Italians.

Italian-Americans (with relatives who willingly relinquish Italian citizenship) need to live in Italy for three years for before becoming Italian citizenship.

People without any Italian heritage need to live in Italy for ten years before becoming Italian citizenship.

Italians want immigrants to integrate into their culture before granting them Italian citizenship. Italians are very proud of their culture and expect a level of conformity. Not the American way, but here's nothing wrong with that.
Completely irrelevant.

Because you didn’t apply and don’t know anything for sure. Talk about being disingenuous.

If you don’t want to apply or cannot, that’s perfectly fine. It’s your business and right.

No need to make up blatant lies.

No Italian became an America relinquished Italian citizenship because the United States voices those treaties after dual citizenship was ruled constitutional. Now how the Italian government views that? It’s certainly not in the Italian consulate website.

Lying and deliberately spreading false information is never cool.

Old 12-05-2019, 03:25 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

I also find it rather strange that American families that have been in the US for numerous generations would still cling to a label whether it be Italian American, Irish American, African American etc etc, when in fact everyone else just sees them as Americans.

Because there is no such thing as just an "American". And we like it like that. Life would be boring if everyone was forced to be monolithic. Yes I like the Latin flair of Miami, the TexMex flair of parts of Texas. That Afro/Caribbean/French creole flair of New Orleans, blended with that deep Delta culture of waves of black Americans who arrived after the Civil War.

ALL of these are part of the mosaic of what being an American is. ALL draw influences from peoples who originated from OUTSIDE of the USA. And the same applies to Canada. Quebec is a whole different fish from Ontario and moving west its different again. All Canadian though. Just different versions of it.

Old 12-05-2019, 03:27 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times
Quote:

Good thing that the Americans didn't demand that New Orleans should be integrated into "America" or we would not have good music or food!

But what is funny is that everywhere you go some version of "Americana" exists. All over Europe.

Old 12-10-2019, 10:53 AM

972 posts, read 541,714 times
Quote:
Please note that prior to the year 1992, ALL Italian citizens that naturalized as U.S. Citizens AUTOMATICALLY lost their Italian Citizenship, and no formal renunciation was required.

This is what I repeatedly get: “my grandfather (of grandmother, father, etc.) did not renounce his citizenship when he (or she) became American (before 1992). Do I qualify? NO!
I have the same situation. My grandfather came to the US as a young boy and naturalized well before my father was born. Regardless of whether he officially went to the Italian embassy to renounce his Italian citizenship, I expected that Italy would consider his US naturalization (before dual citizenship was permitted) to be a renunciation of his Italian citizenship. In fact, I suspect it was commonly understood back then that going to the Italian embassy to renounce would have been redundant. So unfortunately, I'm cut off from jus sanguinis.

Old 12-10-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
I have the same situation. My grandfather came to the US as a young boy and naturalized well before my father was born. Regardless of whether he officially went to the Italian embassy to renounce his Italian citizenship, I expected that Italy would consider his US naturalization (before dual citizenship was permitted) to be a renunciation of his Italian citizenship. In fact, I suspect it was commonly understood back then that going to the Italian embassy to renounce would have been redundant. So unfortunately, I'm cut off from jus sanguinis.
Did you actually apply and the consulate rejected you and gave you that information in writing?

I’ve met a lot of Italian Americans whose Utalian ancestors came further back than a grandparent and they got Italian citizenship.

I think a lot of people get frightened off NY the bureaucratic requirements. You’d be surprised and how much papers can stress and scare people off.

Old 12-13-2019, 12:23 PM

972 posts, read 541,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Did you actually apply and the consulate rejected you and gave you that information in writing?

I’ve met a lot of Italian Americans whose Utalian ancestors came further back than a grandparent and they got Italian citizenship.

I think a lot of people get frightened off NY the bureaucratic requirements. You’d be surprised and how much papers can stress and scare people off.
I didn't apply, because the requirements on the embassy's website seems clear. The issue isn't the amount of generations that have passed, but that my grandfather naturalized before my father was born (thus cutting off my father, then me, from jus sanguinis). If there's more to it than is listed on the webpage, I'd be interested to know about it. Without that kind of mitigating info, I feel like I'd be submitting an application that would be met with "can't you read?"

Old 12-13-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
I didn't apply, because the requirements on the embassy's website seems clear. The issue isn't the amount of generations that have passed, but that my grandfather naturalized before my father was born (thus cutting off my father, then me, from jus sanguinis). If there's more to it than is listed on the webpage, I'd be interested to know about it. Without that kind of mitigating info, I feel like I'd be submitting an application that would be met with "can't you read?"
You could go there and actually talk to them. Because there are a number of Italian Americans with grandparents or great grandparents who got Italian citizenship. Basically the laws that the US had where one who got American citizenship had the citizenship of countries that signed the Bancroft treaties automatically revoked have been eliminated.

Citizenship is a bit more complex than simply reading a website, and really the government officials themselves are the ones who have the power to approve or deny. I know from living in Europe what's on even official government websites isn't necessarily official.

If you are genuinely interested at a minimum actually talk to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe