Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 03:29 AM

126 posts, read 97,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Pretty sure the vast majority of Americans with Italian ancestry consider themselves first and foremost to be American. This doesn't mean that their Italian ancestors didn't have some impact on their lifestyle and life experiences or that their lives are devoid of influences from Italian culture. Maybe they are and maybe they aren't.

Dont be salty

I have met Italians who didnt even know "Italian Americans" existed. Italian Americans? What is that?

I often find it hilarious how self centered Americans are, only an American can get offended because someone from another country doesnt give a crap about the "LET ME TELL YOU THE PERCENTAGES OF ANCESTORS I HAVE" talk, Americans love to focus on so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2019, 12:03 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiloponeums View Post
Dont be salty

I have met Italians who didnt even know "Italian Americans" existed. Italian Americans? What is that?

I often find it hilarious how self centered Americans are, only an American can get offended because someone from another country doesnt give a crap about the "LET ME TELL YOU THE PERCENTAGES OF ANCESTORS I HAVE" talk, Americans love to focus on so much.
I shouldn't ..... but. Still Italians made a large influx as immigrants to the US in its past. Much more of the fabric is further generations removed from when ancestors first emigrated. I find though. Americans of Italian heritage. Maintain more that link to Italy. Highly Catholic and to the Vatican adds more.

More then other Americans of European ancestry. I will add Greeks too and always a strong Irish link for those.

Though to say Italian/American to some seems odd? I think it is naïve, to think Italians in Italy do not know the US has many who had ancestors who lived and Italy originally. Connections to them though, were long lost mostly.

In larger cities tourist visit most. I'm sure they know a large portion of American tourist...... my claim Italian heritage. Especially those who look up and seek the small towns their ancestors came from.

Just it does not rule their daily lives to think America has a lot of people who had grandparents etc. Who originally came from Italy. I'm sure many know someone who claims they know of relatives in America. Most probably will never have contact I agree with them.

I have no doubt if Italians have any history of the US in schools. They will learn of the % of Italian blood claimed by Americans and periods of greatest Italian immigration to North America occurred.

To say Italian/American ..... may denote knowing someone of dual-citizenship to them? But to Americans it has nothing to do with that.

Just rambling on ..... just know plenty Italians settled in my area in the past and those who claim the term Italian American by ancestry and traditions. Grew up with Italian neighbors from Italy. Only their decedents left. My own heritage is Russian, Ukrainian, Polish and Slavic. Much intermarriage occurs as we in the US become even more a melting pot each generation. Till few link themselves to one.

Old 10-18-2019, 11:55 PM

79 posts, read 42,810 times
I bet they are more popular than regular Americans. They don't have to say they came from Italians, last name is enough.

Old 10-19-2019, 12:42 AM

290 posts, read 179,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterM View Post
I bet they are more popular than regular Americans. They don't have to say they came from Italians, last name is enough.
you bet wong

You just read actual Italians telling you that they to not care about so called Italian Americans.

Old 10-19-2019, 01:30 AM

79 posts, read 42,810 times
YI'm talking about the past. Italian-Americans were popular as everybody thought they were rich. Italy was poorer then.

Don't know now. Famous Italian-Americans are revered in Italy.

Old 10-19-2019, 06:19 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiloponeums View Post
Dont be salty

"Salty" - LOL.

For the record, nothing you've said "offends me." Just wanted to make that clear first.

I doubt very seriously that most Americans are worried about what someone from another country gives or doesn't give a crap about, to use your terminology.

There are many "Italian" neighborhoods throughout the US, where immigrants - and their descendants - lived together and still to some extent live. Just like "Chinatowns" and Irish enclaves and Czech towns, etc. etc. People tend to congregate where they feel most "at home" anyway, with other people who have the same values, interests, traditions, etc. Of course this gets watered down to some extent over time but the influence is there for generations.

That's all it is - something mildly interesting. It's not all consuming or something that someone "has to have" in order to "feel whole" or validated or whatever.

Old 10-19-2019, 09:30 AM

3,319 posts, read 1,818,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Wow, that must be strong coffee!

Do Italians approve of smoked salmon and avocado pizza, tandoori chicken pizza and bacon and egg pizza? Some of our popular Aussie versions!
I don't know about Italians, but I, as an IA with distinctly classical taste, disdain anything with more than one topping on a tomato+cheese pizza. And that better be either meatballs, mushrooms, or pepperoni!
And I still ain't sure about the mushrooms.

Avocado is absurd, fish and cheese is against nature, and I don't even know how to respond to 'tandoori chicken pizza'!

But it's your palate so have at it.

Old 10-19-2019, 09:33 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,243,396 times
How would avocado on pizza work? It's generally to be eaten fresh not cooked. Do they just sprinkle it on the pizza after baking?

Old 10-19-2019, 11:22 AM

529 posts, read 556,604 times
^
I suppose so.
Many classic toppings, such as prosciutto or speck, are added after baking.

Old 10-19-2019, 11:22 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
How would avocado on pizza work? It's generally to be eaten fresh not cooked. Do they just sprinkle it on the pizza after baking?
A philosophical discussion about pizza is much more interesting and healthy than this fabricated Italian-Americans vis-a-vis Italians thing which we have beaten to death (77 posts, really?).

Now, pizza is basically wheat flour/dough baked (i.e. bread, more or less flat) with cheese and tomato along with it, eaten warm out of the oven.

Really not much different from a cheese and tomato sandwich, in terms of basic ingredients, eaten more or less cold.

Humans can put most anything edible on top of bread or between two slices of it, warm out of the oven or not. So anything goes, salsicci'icizon. Personally, I used to prefer traditional pizza, just cheese and tomato (magarita).

As for avocado on pizza, take into account that pizza already has quite of bit of cheese and in many cases the dough is seasoned with olive oil (among other ingredients). Adding avocado on top of all that is a bomb of fat, quality fat to be sure if the ingredients are fresh, but still a bomb of fat.

Now, there are also cheese-less pizzas, e.g. escarole pizza (sort of what I do nowadays) and many types of focaccia, or avocado pizza, I suppose.

Moderators, can we close this tired and beaten-to-death Italian-Americans vis-a-vis Italians thing and transfer the rest of this thread to the food and drink forum?

It would be much more interesting and healthy (assuming the ingredients are fresh, no industrial stuff).

In bocca al lupo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe