Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 04:51 PM

613 posts, read 327,403 times

Advertisements

The Coronavirus has hit Italy extremely hard. Now the mandatory quarantines which were limited to some parts of the North like Lombardy are nationwide.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51810673
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2020, 06:34 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,440,884 times
It looks like France/Germany/Spain/Switzerland are next. What a mess.

Old 03-11-2020, 03:01 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,534,034 times
Judging by what Russians are reporting from Italy, the death cases are mostly among the older folks, with 5% of younger population, plus 45 infected children.
But I still wonder, whether this high mortality rate is only the result of the age group ( since Italian population has high percentage of older people overall,) or is it some particularly virulent strand they've got?
Same question with Iran ( where it's difficult to get the data). What about THEIR high mortality rate?
THEIR population overall is very young.

So again - is it a question of a particular strand, OR: there is another variable is yet in place again - certain ethnic groups are hit harder than other?

I saw a man in his early thirties another day, talking from his hospital bed somewhere in New-York. He was saying that he had NO underlying conditions, yet there he was, on the ventilator, with "half of his lungs gone."
And yet again he was of Asian descend.

Old 03-11-2020, 03:38 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,306,135 times
To be honest, I think no one knows. Several of the most recent cases here have been in people just returned from the US. Which did not seem to have been badly affected. So many unknown factors.

Old 03-11-2020, 03:38 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,753,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Judging by what Russians are reporting from Italy, the death cases are mostly among the older folks, with 5% of younger population, plus 45 infected children.
But I still wonder, whether this high mortality rate is only the result of the age group ( since Italian population has high percentage of older people overall,) or is it some particularly virulent strand they've got?
Same question with Iran ( where it's difficult to get the data). What about THEIR high mortality rate?
THEIR population overall is very young.

So again - is it a question of a particular strand, OR: there is another variable is yet in place again - certain ethnic groups are hit harder than other?

I saw a man in his early thirties another day, talking from his hospital bed somewhere in New-York. He was saying that he had NO underlying conditions, yet there he was, on the ventilator, with "half of his lungs gone."
And yet again he was of Asian descend.

BTW the 3% or whatever average death rate is based on the premise that people in severe conditions can be hospitalized.
In Italy and Wuhan, it is is/was clearly not the case. I am afraid it will happen in the US too.

Old 03-11-2020, 06:26 PM

7,708 posts, read 5,451,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
BTW the 3% or whatever average death rate is based on the premise that people in severe conditions can be hospitalized.

In Italy and Wuhan, it is is/was clearly not the case. I am afraid it will happen in the US too.
^^Yes it surely will, especially with the current U.S. administration being so unprepared for this global pandemic (WHO announced today that COVID-19 has reached Global Pandemic status.) Many of our people will die because of the "guy with a hunch" that this deadly virus is likely to go away in April, similar to the seasonal flu.

The number of vitally needed test kits were not made available by the government, and still the number of kits are not remotely what we need in this country.

Old 03-12-2020, 12:39 AM

26,783 posts, read 22,534,034 times
I've been following this guy for over a month already, and judging by what he is reporting on Italy - yes, he thinks that they are having some specific strand, which is worse than anywhere else; so it's more than just "ageing population" as a source of a major problem for Italy.
From approximately 6:10, when he presents the accounts of people there ( how bad things really are, with their whole health care system being overrun by this crisis, ) it kinda gives an explanation why exactly this virus is so dangerous, because of the speed it goes around and amount of people it gets on its way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4N09qsMdPQ

Old 03-12-2020, 02:23 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,924,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I've been following this guy for over a month already, and judging by what he is reporting on Italy - yes, he thinks that they are having some specific strand, which is worse than anywhere else; so it's more than just "ageing population" as a source of a major problem for Italy.
From approximately 6:10, when he presents the accounts of people there ( how bad things really are, with their whole health care system being overrun by this crisis, ) it kinda gives an explanation why exactly this virus is so dangerous, because of the speed it goes around and amount of people it gets on its way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4N09qsMdPQ
I’ve been watching him too, very informative guy.

Old 03-12-2020, 03:42 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,288,333 times
Two things:

1) one Italian out of 4 is over 65 of age. So yeah, this is a major stress compared to younger countries.

2) Italy has about 3 hospital beds for every 1,000 inhabitants. In comparison, Germany has 8. The current system is saturated and in some cases they have to select who will be cured. This sounds terrible but this is the result of decades of policies who have cut budgets for health.

Also Northern Italy is super dense, hence the easy spread out of the disease. Hopefully the quarantine will work. Apparently it is starting to work in China too.

Old 03-12-2020, 04:03 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Two things:

1) one Italian out of 4 is over 65 of age. So yeah, this is a major stress compared to younger countries.

2) Italy has about 3 hospital beds for every 1,000 inhabitants. In comparison, Germany has 8. The current system is saturated and in some cases they have to select who will be cured. This sounds terrible but this is the result of decades of policies who have cut budgets for health.

Also Northern Italy is super dense, hence the easy spread out of the disease. Hopefully the quarantine will work. Apparently it is starting to work in China too.
I wish you good health and that the full quarantine will work.

I know this is not the time to argue, but I lived and worked in Lombardia and paid taxes to Italy in the early years of my adult life, and I feel strongly about this. Some 25-30 years ago, at the cusp of globalization, Italians made a very conscious fiscal policy decision to protect older generations which, whether consciously or as an unintended consequence, has come at the expense of younger generations, a significant swathe of whom has not experienced an environment in which they can flourish.

Where are the budget resources supposed to come from if, for three generations by now, the most energetic are not given the best chance possible to reach full potential right there at home?

A good number of those young energetic people went to countries like Germany where they flourish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBt_mtaU6rs

Last edited by bale002; 03-12-2020 at 04:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe