Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2021, 01:43 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,018,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
This is a good article, but it supports what I had posted several days ago...
https://www.city-data.com/forum/euro...l#post62137589

Even though the authors make an effort to clarify it’s not strictly about race (using words like ‘intermarriage’ and saying repeatedly ‘race or ethnicity’), Hispanics are still considered a de-facto race. They are put in the same box as Whites, African Americans and Asians.
No, they are not considered a de facto race. I don't think many Americans consider a Mexican Mayan, a black Dominican and white Argentinian to all be of the same race. If they are classed as a separate ethnic group it is because they want to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2021, 01:45 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,119,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
What has this got to do with anything? Again I'm guessing US would count somebody you call 'Hispanic' and somebody you'd call 'white' as an 'interracial relationship? Of course that's not the case here or anywhere else.
I was responding to someone else.

Old 10-25-2021, 01:46 PM

Quote:
No I don't - I simply said that in the US 'Hispanic' is treated as a separate IDENTITY (see I've tried using a different word) than other 'white' (or black etc) people!! Like on the lists you (and some other US posters) provided! For example Jennifer Lopez is simply 'white' in Europe. Therefore the comparisons are apples to oranges! Why oh why are you guys getting so 'twisted up inside' over this!?
LOL I'm not "twisted up inside" over this. I just think it's sort of a ridiculous discussion and I can't believe you're still going on and on about it.

Old 10-25-2021, 01:47 PM

28,697 posts, read 18,857,630 times
Quote:
There are 'race issues' in every other US TV program I see, even the film I mentioned makes such a deal out of it, you have to admit that 'race' plays a more prominent role in the US than it does in Europe. Notice I have NEVER claimed that the US is any more or less 'racist' than Europe! It could be that by making more of a thing about 'race' may have positive affects when it comes to racism, you could make an argument both ways.
Race will, for any foreseeable future, have a more significant role in US sociology than Europe simply because of the history of race in US sociology: Two hundred years of race-based slavery and a subsequent hundred years of race-based apartheid, as well as a race-based genocide against Native Americans. I think you'll find a similar prominence of racial considerations in other countries with anything like a similar history, such as South Africa and Australia.

Old 10-25-2021, 01:53 PM

Quote:
What has this got to do with anything? Again I'm guessing US would count somebody you call 'Hispanic' and somebody you'd call 'white' as an 'interracial relationship? Of course that's not the case here or anywhere else.
Why are you so hung up on the term "Hispanic?" Because that's clearly the issue that you seem to be struggling with.

Here's a breakdown, also easy to find on Google, of the types of interracial marriages in the US.

Quote:
. The share of recently married blacks with a spouse of a different race or ethnicity has more than tripled, from 5% in 1980 to 18% in 2015.
Quote:
Among the half of Hispanic newlyweds who are immigrants, 15% married a non-Hispanic. In comparison, 39% of the U.S. born did so.
Quote:
While 24% of foreign-born Asian newlyweds have a spouse of a different race or ethnicity, this share rises to 46% among the U.S. born.
Quote:
Perhaps more striking – the share of blacks in the marriage market has remained more or less constant (15% in 1980, 16% in 2015), yet their intermarriage rate has more than tripled.
https://www.pewresearch.org/social-t...intermarriage/

Americans simply don't have a problem identifying Hispanic folks by ethnicity. Sorry that you do, but that's understandable since you don't have a huge Hispanic population in the UK like we do here in the US.

Even the "lowest" group of intermarriages in the US - black and white - are a higher ratio than all interracial couples (not just marriages) in the UK.

Old 10-25-2021, 03:03 PM

14,822 posts, read 12,062,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Why are you so hung up on the term "Hispanic?" Because that's clearly the issue that you seem to be struggling with.

Here's a breakdown, also easy to find on Google, of the types of interracial marriages in the US.

https://www.pewresearch.org/social-t...intermarriage/

Americans simply don't have a problem identifying Hispanic folks by ethnicity. Sorry that you do, but that's understandable since you don't have a huge Hispanic population in the UK like we do here in the US.

Even the "lowest" group of intermarriages in the US - black and white - are a higher ratio than all interracial couples (not just marriages) in the UK.
I'm NOT, you may remember when I brought this up it was particularly relevant to the post I was talking about at the time!! Its 'other' dare I say Americans on here that are making a bit thing about it!! Also everytime I mention the relationship in my personal life you start coming back at me about US interational relationships, its like you're constantly trying to expunge our relationship!? What is your problem here Kathryn?

Old 10-25-2021, 05:22 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,575,506 times
Quote:
I'm NOT, you may remember when I brought this up it was particularly relevant to the post I was talking about at the time!! Its 'other' dare I say Americans on here that are making a bit thing about it!! Also everytime I mention the relationship in my personal life you start coming back at me about US interational relationships, its like you're constantly trying to expunge our relationship!? What is your problem here Kathryn?
Get help!

Old 10-25-2021, 06:12 PM

24,717 posts, read 11,044,214 times
Quote:
As they say in Texas - now that's nice.
My "relationship" and I are so odd you are actually a cookie cutter household in a lot of US places compared to us. But that does not suit your idea of being special. So be it. How about cleaning up the UK? Pleae remember - He put them on an island but did not consider the idea that they might dig a tunnel as long as a Mexican cartel. Lighten up

Old 10-26-2021, 06:15 AM

14,822 posts, read 12,062,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
As they say in Texas - now that's nice.
My "relationship" and I are so odd you are actually a cookie cutter household in a lot of US places compared to us. But that does not suit your idea of being special. So be it. How about cleaning up the UK? Pleae remember - He put them on an island but did not consider the idea that they might dig a tunnel as long as a Mexican cartel. Lighten up
WTF does that even mean!?

What has 'cleaning up the UK' got to do with anything?

Where on earth have I ever decided that I'm somehow 'special'!!?

Old 10-26-2021, 06:48 AM

146 posts, read 89,073 times
Quote:
I'll comment on what I wan't to comment on thanks, its a free country no? Show me ANYWHERE where exactly have I said anything about 'my approval'? Stop making things up. All I said is that Hispanic is not the same here, therefore comparing racial make-up between the US and Europe (when you use 'Hispanic' as a separate race/ethnicity in the US 'census') is comparing apples to oranges! I simply pointed out that what you call Hispanic would simply be classes as 'white' here (if they're white), or 'black' here (if they're black) or whatever else they might be. YOU are the one getting yourself all 'twisted inside' over this.
You comment out of rudeness and arrogance.

England does not set world standards and there is no reason
For someone not English to give a damn about world standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe