Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 12:54 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,363,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Perhaps this is why 60% Americans have a weight problem
It is certainly a contributor. Introduction of MUCH bigger portions, more artificial foods, and items which metabolize much more quickly and easily into fats and sugars are also to blame, thanks for the food industry.

Case in point: Americans' consumption of Coke has increase tenfold since the late 70s. Even taking into account population growth, the average American drinks 3-4x as much coke since 1978. Coke boasts this fact, I think they should be ashamed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 08:21 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,129,735 times
That three hours of commuting daily must really be annoying.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:14 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,399,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo983 View Post
The minimum gross annual wage/year in France is $17,563 USD

€8.82 per hour; €1,337.70 per month for 151.67 hours worked (or 7 hours every weekday of the month)

List of minimum wages by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The minimum gross annual wage in the U.S. is $13,624 USD

The federal minimum wage is $6.55 USD per hour; states may also set a minimum, in which case the higher of the two is controlling.

Maybe some of you think that Paris is expensive but Parisians do not need a car in order commute. Therefore, they save a big portion of their salary (car payments, gas, tolls, maintenance, car insurance, etc).

Paris is as expensive as any other amazing city in this world (London, Tokio, New York, for example)... Paris is the most visited city in the world. So you people shouldn`t complain that you can`t buy a house there...
The flaw in you reasoning is that things are priced in Euros in Europe, and not USD. Therefore, convert $17,563 to Euros and that would be the approximate comparable number that they make in USD, cost of living wise. Then add the fact that France imposes a much higher tax burden on its citizens than does the US, and so the net take home is lower. Also, since when can you afford to buy a house in any first world country making minimum wage?

Old 08-10-2009, 03:48 PM

325 posts, read 787,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
Anyone know of a good site to translate english to french?
Also, Free Translation is awesome! I use that often to help me translate French into English. In fact, they have about 20-30 different languages to choose from.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:58 AM

549 posts, read 1,665,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
The flaw in you reasoning is that things are priced in Euros in Europe, and not USD. Therefore, convert $17,563 to Euros and that would be the approximate comparable number that they make in USD, cost of living wise. Then add the fact that France imposes a much higher tax burden on its citizens than does the US, and so the net take home is lower. Also, since when can you afford to buy a house in any first world country making minimum wage?

A French citizen who makes minimum wage pays less taxes than a U.S. American who makes minimum wage (do the research before you post your statements about taxes). The minimum wage in France is higher and they have mass transit systems and universal healthcare. The average French who makes minimum wage has more disposable income than an average U.S. American who makes minimum wage with car expenses (at least 300$ monthly) and no medical insurance.

That´s why many U.S. Americans have more than 1 job in order to cover their expenses (Home, car, medical, and educational).

Old 08-14-2009, 12:15 PM

549 posts, read 1,665,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
So a REAL typical day of Parisian.

Weak up: 6:30 a.m
Shower and morning lunch and watching TV: 6:30 to 7:45 pm
Take the bus or the car: 7:45 a.m
Arriving in the RER station 8:00 am
Arriving in Central Paris and changing for the metro 8:40 am
Arriving at work 9:00 am

Lunch : 12:30 pm
A sandwich or restaurant, sushi, salade, meat with french fries or etc
End of the lunch pause : 13:30 pm

End of the work : 6:30 pm
The oposite in the otherway.

Arriving at home: 8:00 pm
Watching the news: 8
Small diner with familly: between 8:30 pm and 9 pm
Watching TV: 9 pm to 11 pm
Going to the bed: 11 pm

As we call it metro boulo dodo
Minato ku, You are saving a lot of money in transportation...

1 Hour and 15 minutes to arrive to work and the same time to arrive home. A total of 2:30 hours daily, and you can save up to $500 compared to what I spend in transportation in Miami.

I would gladly commute like any Parisian If had the possibility. I spend $240 in gas, about $60 in tolls/month, $100 car insurance/month, car payments 149$, and maintenance expenses $35/month --- Total>> about $500/month in transportation expenses. ($6000 yearly).

On top of all...Parisians are not contributing to air pollution etc..

Old 08-14-2009, 06:27 PM

526 posts, read 1,757,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo983 View Post
A French citizen who makes minimum wage pays less taxes than a U.S. American who makes minimum wage (do the research before you post your statements about taxes). The minimum wage in France is higher and they have mass transit systems and universal healthcare. The average French who makes minimum wage has more disposable income than an average U.S. American who makes minimum wage with car expenses (at least 300$ monthly) and no medical insurance.

That´s why many U.S. Americans have more than 1 job in order to cover their expenses (Home, car, medical, and educational).
Making minimum wage in Europe may be normalcy but if you are making minimum wage in the US you are doing something seriously wrong and you are better off in Europe.

The lowest paying jobs in CA where I live pay a minimum of $12/hour which translates to $10/hour after taxes. You can compare where I live to Paris since the cost of living is the same or more here.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:31 AM

2,278 posts, read 3,922,757 times
Can I just say...I Love this thread. Thank you for making this and for people in the know about Paris for responding. I am learning a lot and keeping that info in my head.

Merci Beaucoup!!!

Alice

Old 08-26-2009, 11:40 AM

321 posts, read 960,688 times
I don't find living in Paris any more expensive than the United States; it's just that the way we spend money is distributed completely differently, so it is really hard to compare. I like working 35 hours a week, and I am additionally lucky to have 50 days vacation a year, which is far more than most other office workers. I have never owned a car because I don't need or want one, so no buying a car, no repairs, no car insurance, etc. When I want to use a car, I rent one, and it is not often. I am not a member of the rat race and do not really care if other people are earning more money, because I have more than enough for my needs.

Oh, and there's the food.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 08-26-2009 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: links to other forums not permitted

Old 08-26-2009, 01:42 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,606,841 times
Of course living in Paris is much more expensive than living in USA on average but it is stupid to compare two different thing.
A country with a lot of space and a big crowded metropolis.

The comparaison with New York would be better and that's right living in Paris is definitively not more expensive than living in Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe