Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 11:26 AM

209 posts, read 680,192 times

Advertisements

It depends on what you're paying for. Anything in the major cities is going to be expensive. That's just the economic nature of major cities.

I was in Paris this past Christmas. I can't vouch for what milk or other grocery items cost, but I know that a pack of Camel Lights was 7 Euro (approx. $10 at that time).

The hotel that I stayed (Holiday Inn Express) at was a reasonable 90 Euro a night, but drinks at the hotel bar were 9 Euro a piece. I had three drinks and it cost me about $40.

A meal at a decent restaurant near the Eiffel Tower cost me about 18 Euro, but you can eat for cheaper than that.

Frankfurt was also very pricey.

Cab fares in all of the major cities are absolutely outrageous. The Metro and bus systems are typically dirt cheap. Definitely familiarize yourself with both upon arrival or prepare to literally spend upwards of a $100 or more on cab fare depending on usage and the duration of your stay.

Shopping at rail stations wasn't too terribly bad. I remember buying a delicious hoagie sandwich somewhere in Germany for about 3 Euro, but a plastic bottle of Coca Cola was a couple Euro.

I think the exchange rate hits home the most when you go through the exchange process. Seeing $500 translate to just 380 or so Euro can be pretty depressing, especially when you realize the Euro doesn't actually give you more buying power in Europe.

But if you want to go to Europe, it's a price that you have to pay.

However, if you're in non-touristy areas, eating like the locals, I think prices are actually quite reasonable in many places. Grocery shopping and eating in are probably the most economical approach to budgeting oneself while there.

Last edited by DrVanNostrand; 07-27-2009 at 11:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 01:00 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,868,898 times
I am traveling several times a year to Europe ( to Germany in particular). Yes, it is expensive, but you're not gonna stay forever. In my opinion it is well worth it. The crappy food we have here...makes me wanna move there!

I would get the Euros at some bank here. They usually charge you more over there.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:19 PM

526 posts, read 1,757,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
I am traveling several times a year to Europe ( to Germany in particular). Yes, it is expensive, but you're not gonna stay forever. In my opinion it is well worth it. The crappy food we have here...makes me wanna move there!

I would get the Euros at some bank here. They usually charge you more over there.

Use your American DEBIT card at a European ATM and you will get the best transfer rate with lowest fees. Travelers checks are a thing of the past. Don't use credit cards for anything but emergencies... the rate is 3%.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
Europe don't depend of the tourism, it is a small part of our economy.
All of the European countries have tourism as a percentage of GDP for 2008 anywhere between 10-25% over 37 nations. I would say that is pretty sizeable.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVanNostrand View Post
It depends on what you're paying for. Anything in the major cities is going to be expensive. That's just the economic nature of major cities.

I was in Paris this past Christmas. I can't vouch for what milk or other grocery items cost, but I know that a pack of Camel Lights was 7 Euro (approx. $10 at that time).

The hotel that I stayed (Holiday Inn Express) at was a reasonable 90 Euro a night, but drinks at the hotel bar were 9 Euro a piece. I had three drinks and it cost me about $40.

A meal at a decent restaurant near the Eiffel Tower cost me about 18 Euro, but you can eat for cheaper than that.

Frankfurt was also very pricey.

Cab fares in all of the major cities are absolutely outrageous. The Metro and bus systems are typically dirt cheap. Definitely familiarize yourself with both upon arrival or prepare to literally spend upwards of a $100 or more on cab fare depending on usage and the duration of your stay.

Shopping at rail stations wasn't too terribly bad. I remember buying a delicious hoagie sandwich somewhere in Germany for about 3 Euro, but a plastic bottle of Coca Cola was a couple Euro.

I think the exchange rate hits home the most when you go through the exchange process. Seeing $500 translate to just 380 or so Euro can be pretty depressing, especially when you realize the Euro doesn't actually give you more buying power in Europe.

But if you want to go to Europe, it's a price that you have to pay.

However, if you're in non-touristy areas, eating like the locals, I think prices are actually quite reasonable in many places. Grocery shopping and eating in are probably the most economical approach to budgeting oneself while there.

Don't worry so much about the Euro... my father knows people in some high positions within banks in both Europe and the US and they say that the Euro won't be around for its next 10th anniversary. You don't hear anything on TV about it because the ECB does not disclose like the Fed does but the amount of toxic assets that they are hiding is large enough to tank the Euro and they don't want speculators trading out of it.

So... if your Grandma wants to see Europe, do it now even though it is expensive. But if you are in your 20's... you have plenty of time to visit Europe on the cheap. Right now as an American I would take advantage of South America's cheap cost while it is an inexpensive emerging market because soon the BRIC nations are going to be much more expensive over the next 50 years or so. The US will join Europe's high tax philosophy and both economies will slow down or revert while the emerging markets catch up. Everyone with money is investing in those nations because of low taxes.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:54 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,868,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jja100 View Post
Don't worry so much about the Euro... my father knows people in some high positions within banks in both Europe and the US and they say that the Euro won't be around for its next 10th anniversary. You don't hear anything on TV about it because the ECB does not disclose like the Fed does but the amount of toxic assets that they are hiding is large enough to tank the Euro and they don't want speculators trading out of it.

So... if your Grandma wants to see Europe, do it now even though it is expensive. But if you are in your 20's... you have plenty of time to visit Europe on the cheap. Right now as an American I would take advantage of South America's cheap cost while it is an inexpensive emerging market because soon the BRIC nations are going to be much more expensive over the next 50 years or so. The US will join Europe's high tax philosophy and both economies will slow down or revert while the emerging markets catch up. Everyone with money is investing in those nations because of low taxes.

And my father ( the Lord ) says quite the opposite

Old 07-27-2009, 01:58 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,607,062 times
Quote:
All of the European countries have tourism as a percentage of GDP for 2008 anywhere between 10-25% over 37 nations. I would say that is pretty sizeable.
10% are you crazy...
If we look France, only 6.3% of the GDP come from tourism related industries (it include restaurants, café, taxi).
Yes it is sizeable but not as big as you imagine.

Now imagine UK or Germany that have less tourists than France.
The only big european country with over 10% of the GDP that come from tourism is Spain (It also had the second highest income from tourism after USA, France is only in the third place).

Old 07-27-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
10% are you crazy...
If we look France, only 6.3% of the GDP come from tourism related industries (it include restaurants, café, taxi).
Yes it is sizeable but not as big as you imagine.

Now imagine UK or Germany that have less tourists than France.
The only big european country with over 10% of the GDP that come from tourism is Spain (It also had the second highest income from tourism after USA, France is only in the third place).
France was 10.9% as a percentage of GDP for 2008.

FACTBOX: Tourism as a share of European nations' GDP | Lifestyle | Reuters

Old 07-27-2009, 02:36 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,929,235 times
Quote:
And a pig just flew past my window

Old 07-27-2009, 02:36 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,607,062 times
I clearly doubt of this data, this number is too different than in 2007 and the other previous years.

Part of the tourism in France GDP

6.8% in 2000
6.6% in 2001
6.6% in 2002
6.4% in 2003
6.4% in 2004
6.3% in 2005
6.2% in 2006
6.2% in 2007

(32th page)
http://www.tourisme.gouv.fr/fr/z2/st..._2007_cor2.pdf

In english for 2007
http://www.tourisme.gouv.fr/fr/z2/st...res_cle-GB.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe