Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 10:12 AM

202 posts, read 568,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danilsk View Post
you have missed out Slovenia. Well, it is usually considered Central Europe, or East Central Europe, but I would classify it as Eastern.
a great peacefull country with quite low level of corruption
Please forgive my ignorance, but I've heard disturbing things about that region, specifically the troubles in Albania, Croatia, Bosnia, etc. Has Slovenia been spared from these conflicts?

I would LOVE to locate on the Mediterranian, but I assumed it would either be too expensive (Italy, Spain) or risky (Albania, etc.). That's why I initially was looking at the Black Sea region.

Please tell me more, if you have time. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 11:15 AM

29 posts, read 115,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcoyoteloco View Post
Please forgive my ignorance, but I've heard disturbing things about that region, specifically the troubles in Albania, Croatia, Bosnia, etc. Has Slovenia been spared from these conflicts?

I would LOVE to locate on the Mediterranian, but I assumed it would either be too expensive (Italy, Spain) or risky (Albania, etc.). That's why I initially was looking at the Black Sea region.

Please tell me more, if you have time. Thanks!
I am by no means a business person and haven't even been to there. But am planning to go to the part of country bordering the Adriatic sea someday.

They have no problems typical for that region and their crime rates are low.

I would consider this: Slovenia

===
I think ranking and\or considering countries as good or bad for busieness is always like a Russian roulette. You won't find anything concrete. There is always state funded mass-media saying what they were told to say and people who consider country good for business just because they liked services in their hotel and sun shined a lot on day they visitted the country etc.
Here is an example:
Rankings - Doing Business - The World Bank Group
Georgia is considered 11th best country for doing business. But it is totally past all understanding how a country with that awful education, crime rates and quite inadequate president can be ranked so high.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:27 AM

Good points, danilsk, and thanks for the link. The CIA factbook on Slovenia also sounded encouraging, so I'll do some more research.

Thanks again.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:41 AM

66 posts, read 92,357 times
Forget Europe.
The places in Europe where people will taste your products are extremelly expensive. I'm talking about a lot of euros.
If you set up a business in one of those new countries, they'll think that you're selling martian stuff. Their summum of internationality is chinese food, pizza, burguers and nachos an guacamole.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:41 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,591,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danilsk View Post
it is pretty controversial. I mean look at China, it is 132nd, yet it is extremely attractive in the matters of business.
Starting business in Denmark is extremely expensive.
Estonia is ok, tho. I believe most of the Eastern Europe would be a good choice.
China is odd. I think much of it is hyper-capitalist, but I believe there's much of the rural area and the Western sector that's more restricted. If you're judging a nation as a whole you would have to take that into account.

However it is true I've heard criticism of most of these "economic freedom" rankings. There are also many schools of economic thought, even on the Right, and they don't all seem to agree with each other on what "good business environment" even means.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:35 AM

81 posts, read 317,235 times
Before economic crisis It was very good to invest in Lithuania,Latvia or estonia...but we hear that alot of chinese coming to make business in Lithuania right now even in small citys...if they come to make business right now it means it;s worthed..

Old 12-15-2009, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss90 View Post
Before economic crisis It was very good to invest in Lithuania,Latvia or estonia...but we hear that alot of chinese coming to make business in Lithuania right now even in small citys...if they come to make business right now it means it;s worthed..
I've looked at the Baltic region, but I don't know how successful an American restaurant would be there.

Hopefully the global economy will get better soon...

Old 12-15-2009, 09:59 AM

81 posts, read 317,235 times
Quote:
I've looked at the Baltic region, but I don't know how successful an American restaurant would be there.

at this time there are alot of people going to restourants..they don't care is there eco..crisis or no..they still go.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,737 times
Quote:

I am from Lithuanian. And what can I say. I agree before economic crisis a lot companys invest in our country. But chiness people which coming right know have secessfully in business because their products has a low prices. And you know if product or service is new im our country, frech sucess is guaranteed.

I think the best way go to small country where is a small marketing where you can take a big part of if (marketing). For example I never start create new business in UK if product on service which I have isn't necessary. So..
I was in America. I would like to say "American kitchen" is very different from Lithuanian, but I like it.

Good Luck

Old 01-13-2010, 12:42 PM

383 posts, read 1,591,301 times
Quote:
Actually, my personal choice was Romania, followed by Czech Rep. and Poland. However, we decided that Eastern Europe is too risky for the first location, due to government corruption and organized crime. I'm not 100% convinced this is the case, but my partners are more cautious.

I'm still determined to eventually open in Romania, though.
Poland and the Czech republic have government corruption and organized crime? Since when? Romania has some government corruption, but nothing dramatic. Oh, and why do you classify all post-communism countries as Eastern European. The Czech republic has been considered as a central European country for more than a thousand years, but now, because of 40 years in communism, we are an Eastern European country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe