Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 01:03 AM

567 posts, read 1,122,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
California's economy may be in the crapper, what with its debt now ranked riskier than Kazakhstan, but one thing no one can deny: its southern and central coast has the most fabulous climate in the world. But if one were thinking of fleeing this part of Cali for Europe, in which country of the EU would they find as close a climate heaven?
I'm a California boy myself.

Here's the thing. Californians go to the beach to cool off. Southern Europeans go to the beach to soak in the heat! I took my wife to Santa Monica and she was astonished at how cold the water was and how the air was 20 degrees cooler than it was inland on the other side of the hills. Whereas in Croatia the water's even warmer than the air.

I would say maybe Portugal because it faces the open Atlantic. That would be my bet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 01:15 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,178,308 times
Portugal and Spain.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:10 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,993,085 times
Judging from the OP's most recent question about retiring in Australia, I think we can rule southern Europe out he's still in the US 2 years later

Old 10-03-2012, 11:07 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,425,945 times
A bunch of them. Of the ones I've been to:

Italy
France, southern; especially Corsica
Greece
Spain
Portugal, central and southern, going out at night in Lisbon feels just like going out in LA, with the ocean breeze coming in

Portugal, with moderate temperatures and a colder ocean, is probably the closest.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:54 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,430,085 times
Quote:
California's economy may be in the crapper, what with its debt now ranked riskier than Kazakhstan, but one thing no one can deny: its southern and central coast has the most fabulous climate in the world. But if one were thinking of fleeing this part of Cali for Europe, in which country of the EU would they find as close a climate heaven?
I deny it. While the temperature range may be comfortable, it gets hardly enough rain or cold to support the undeniably perfect ecosystem which is the northern hardwood to boreal transition zone. :-)

Anyway, I would say maybe the French Riviera comes close but with a bit more margin on the temperature extremes.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:00 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,441,610 times
Quote:
Most of these southern islands off Turkey and lower than Greece are little more than virtual "rocks' sticking out of the Sea and infernos during the summer. My problem is I can't adapt to extreme variations in temps, hence the need for as "temperate" a climate as possible. Of course, the only place with perfect weather is heaven, as I am often reminded.
What about Bogotá?

Old 10-07-2012, 10:30 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,125,781 times
The Costa del Sol and the Costa Blanca in Spain are very similar to that of SoCal - my family have business partners there.

I live on the Costa del Sol (10 minutes drive inland) winters are mild and summers are hot. Axarquia is known as having the best climate in Europe, there are also thousands upon thousands of ex pats here.

Last edited by Scotslass; 10-07-2012 at 10:42 AM..

Old 10-07-2012, 11:13 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,926,179 times
Quote:
The Murcia alicante area. I was there in november last year and it was 26c.

Canaries are similar but they aren't hot in the summer.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:14 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,926,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Languedoc region is not "extremely hot " in the summer.
I go there every summer, the average temperature is 26°C (but often falls to as low as 18°C during the night ), and sure, there are peaks at 30°C in the plain, but it doesn't last more than a few days at a time, then there thunderstorms, and temperatures drop somewhat. NYC is hotter during summer.
It is nearly always above 30c in the summer in spain.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:44 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,125,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
It is nearly always above 30c in the summer in spain.
It's been really hot especially where we are, 36 degrees nearly every day. In Seville and in other parts it can get up to 40+

Now it's 27 degrees during the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe