Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 08:02 AM

968 posts, read 2,589,580 times

Advertisements

Most trainers at big box gyms are too worried about selling you some garbage product that you don't need.

Other trainers are too hung up on one muscle group. Still other trainers are total meatheads who think that is a fit look.

I worked at a big box gym for a while and I got tired of selling. Might as well work for a used car dealer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 08:31 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquest123 View Post
Is a personal trainer worth it?

It depends.

When you lift weights is your form so bad that it could cause a serious injury?

There are good personal trainers, mediocre and bad ones. Can you spot the difference?

Have you read any books on exercise? Have you read several books on exercise?

Educate yourself before you get a trainer.
I totally agree with this post. I too would suggest educating yourself as much as possible on fitness/health and TALK TO PEOPLE AT THE GYM. Most everyone is nice enough to give you advice (sometimes its good, sometimes its bad advice) but the thing is, the more you learn, the more you figure things out for yourself.

I have NEVER had a personal trainer and quite frankly will never need one because I think I know more about fitness than most of them (the ones here in Los Angeles at least) and know what works best for me and my goals. I would however love to have one or two sessions with an experienced olympic lifter just to get the proper form down on Deadlifts, overhead squats, and snatches, but for the most part, Ive taught myself by reading books, watching youtube "how-to" videos and video recording my practice sessions. Now, there are so many websites and videos on YouTube that its really easy to do things yourself.

OP, now if you are one of these people who have problems with self motivation and you just dont want to allocate time to learn about fitness/health, then by all means HIRE YOURSELF A PERSONAL TRAINER. More often than not, if we dont motivate ourselves to get up and do something, we WILL get up and do it if someone else is counting on us. Knowing that your trainer will be knocking on your door one to two days each week is good.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:22 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,860,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
I too would suggest educating yourself as much as possible on fitness/health and TALK TO PEOPLE AT THE GYM.
That's good advice. I've learned a lot of good tips from other people at the gym and learned next to nothing from the personal trainers at my big box gym. At first it seemed like everyone was standoffish but I think the regulars just wait to see if you are going to stick it out before they bother talking to you. I've approached a few and said stuff like you have really nicely shaped shoulders what lifts do you do for that? People do appreciate the acknowledgment and generally enjoy talking about themselves and what they do so its not hard to get tips. I've found a lot of the bodybuilders are still insecure about themselves even if they look like the Incredible Hulk and seem delighted if someone compliments their muscle form.

Old 01-27-2021, 07:12 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times
As I have mentioned on similar threads I have used a personal trainer in past and it was more than worth it.

Yes you could do the same things on your own but for me it's totally not the same.

I had a personal trainer who I met one day a week in person and rest of the days he'd give me a program to do everyday and would constantly get in touch with me to check up on my progress. The intensity of working out with him was great and I made good progress in only a few months. Some may not need that motivation but it helps me.

Old 01-28-2021, 12:47 PM

857 posts, read 844,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
As I have mentioned on similar threads I have used a personal trainer in past and it was more than worth it.

Yes you could do the same things on your own but for me it's totally not the same.

I had a personal trainer who I met one day a week in person and rest of the days he'd give me a program to do everyday and would constantly get in touch with me to check up on my progress. The intensity of working out with him was great and I made good progress in only a few months. Some may not need that motivation but it helps me.
You do realize this thread is 10 years old, right?

Old 02-23-2021, 10:41 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

A personal trainer is really just motivation & a plan....so you can make the same progress on your own IMO, especially with all the apps, smart programs & workout planners like Peloton. A personal trainer at a gym is super old fashioned & tbh, the trainer I used to have was a little creepy.

Old 02-24-2021, 05:03 AM

332 posts, read 220,292 times
It's a tool. It can help.

Old 02-25-2021, 01:45 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,150,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
A personal trainer is really just motivation & a plan....so you can make the same progress on your own IMO, especially with all the apps, smart programs & workout planners like Peloton. A personal trainer at a gym is super old fashioned & tbh, the trainer I used to have was a little creepy.
Some are creeps. Were I a woman especially I'd be quite mindful of that.

My nutritional doctor (ND), visited with monthly, said she'd stop recommending two and was down to one guy as a trainer. At her insistence I finally tried him end of December, he visits the house and my home rec area 2-3x/week. He's had COVID, if that matters from a risk perspective (let's keep that aside). I like having him around as motivation, he's ramping me up in intensity starting from "not so great" back late December to starting to get there now end of Feb, two months later almost to the day.

He's good for motivation, finding my limits, and most of all enforcing correct form. For a near-beginner, he's been great. I built his time into the monthly budget and I'm spending money on personal excellence vs. other things into 2021. One day he'll have served his "purpose" and that will be that. He knows, it's part of his business model.

Glad I was convinced to try this, for someone in physical recovery as I am (significant weight loss, diet, and wellness starting beginning of Q3 2020).

Old 02-25-2021, 07:51 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
What is it with you calling everything you disagree with old fashioned? Like you are the one that is so current and others are not.
A personal trainer has its place. People brand new even with apps etc still can do workouts wrong. I’ve seen new people wander aimlessly and eventually get frustrated or intimidated and ultimately disappear.
A personal trainer can watch your form so you do things right and don’t get hurt. They can also adapt training for those with disabilities or other health issues. They can monitor you as you work out and slow you down or raise intensity depending on how the client is responding. Apps don’t do that, do they?
I’ve been in the gym for a long time and don’t need a trainer. But I see the personal trainers with new or semi new people and they do a good job.
I don’t think any of the trainers come across as creepy and they seem to give the clients pretty good workouts.
Are you saying that women trainers are creepy too?

Old 02-26-2021, 11:33 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,583,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquest123 View Post
Is a personal trainer worth it?

It depends.

When you lift weights is your form so bad that it could cause a serious injury?

There are good personal trainers, mediocre and bad ones. Can you spot the difference?

Have you read any books on exercise? Have you read several books on exercise?

Educate yourself before you get a trainer.

Ita there are good & bad trainers AND it’s not always easy to spot the difference, especially for a beginner. So...it’s good advice to read IMO. Look on the internet or YouTube for lots of tutorials on form AND lots of fitness apps. It’s better to have the feedback from different trainers & exercise physiologists than just one trainer IMO...AND a lot cheaper. Once you have advanced, Peloton...Myx Fitness & other programs are awesome alternatives to gyms & a trainer.

In the old days, it used to be trainers were the only super serious option for an advanced workout....not anymore tho. So I kinda see a trainer as old fashioned.. but it depends on your needs.

edit: Always make sure you have been cleared from your doctor to begin an exercise program, for anybody...but especially if you have health problems, disabilities or restrictions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness