Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 10:26 AM

149 posts, read 831,078 times

Advertisements

I am recently thinking about getting a personal trainner. I want to tone my arms and waist. But I am just too busy and also lazy to go work out. So I guess I need to personal trainer to keep me going.
I checked the price for personal trainer in the club nearby, they charge $56/hour for 12 session. This is too much. I don't know if it worth to get a personal trainer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 01:49 PM

13 posts, read 81,998 times
I don't post on here often. But I will share my thoughts. I was once a personal trainer and competed on occassion (6-7 years ago). So, I can provide my fair share of expertise.
Trainers can help, yes. trainers can assist in getting you the right mindset, can provide you with a diet plan and workout plan, and can show you workouts that will best suit your needs. But, more than these things, what helps the most is the right mentality. At some point, you can only rely on yourself. A Personal Trainer may be able to show you a few routines in the gym and help you get over that hump of laziness. But, what happens when your sessions are up? At that point, it's all you. If you want results, really, you should rely on yourself. Truth is, you're the only person in your way. So, I think it would only be a wise investment if you actually believe that a trainer is what is needed to get you started (knowing you can finish the process on your own). I don't want to discourage you from getting a trainer. But, I do think you should make sure you can eventually handle the dedication on your own. I've just seen it too many times where people pay for quick results but fade in the end. Ultimately, that is just a waste of money. Good luck to you!

Old 11-03-2010, 01:58 PM

968 posts, read 2,589,330 times
I don't charge that much. But then again thats why I freelance.

The only thing you need a PT for really is coaching you on lifts. All the rest you can do yourself if you choose to. You can even learn good form on lifts with vids and such, but nothing beats someone standing there telling you what you're doing wrong etc.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:14 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhe1982 View Post
I am recently thinking about getting a personal trainner. I want to tone my arms and waist. But I am just too busy and also lazy to go work out. So I guess I need to personal trainer to keep me going.
I checked the price for personal trainer in the club nearby, they charge $56/hour for 12 session. This is too much. I don't know if it worth to get a personal trainer.
I've been a member of a fitness club for four or five years and have only watched their personal trainers from a distance. Someone might have a different opinion, but the personal trainers I see seem to be wasting the time of their clients with a lot of pointless exercises. I would think that most people's goal would be to increase cardiovascular fitness, gain muscle strength, and perhaps improve overall physical coordination. Losing excess weight will then take care of itself with some possible diet changes. Personally, I would want to see results fairly quickly, assuming I had lived a sedentary life to that point.

As a long-time exercise guy, what I see the trainers overseeing are exercises that would have much less overall effect than exercises I would suggest, if I were ever asked. I would have a person using an alternating walk/run regimen on a treadmill, keeping close watch on the person's pulse and overall physical status through the workout. Every five or ten minutes I would have the person pause and do some modest weightlifting before continuing on the treadmill. No balancing on workout beachballs, and no twirling of giant ropes (I've seen both of these activities in trainer workouts). The treadmill workout and the weightlifting would be suited for the physical condition of the client.

Maybe the idea is to have a workout that is utterly painless and even fun. Well, that's kind of at odds with reaching the goal. My suggestion would be to talk a friend into a regular exercise regimen. Misery loves company, after all.

Personal trainers cost a chunk of money. So I have to ask, is the idea to get in shape for a few weeks, or to become physically fit for life? If the answer is the latter of the two, are you really going to pay a personal trainer for the next 30 years? I think the best idea is to come up with something workable on your own, something that you'll stick to, and then do it.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:03 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
I recently hired a personal trainer for 3 sessions to show me some things about lifting heavier weights. I had worked out with videos and running for years but joined a gym in August to do more weight-training. Anyway, I found it to be very helpful and well worth the money. But I didn't need a personal trainer to motivate me, just to give me some basic instruction.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:25 PM

983 posts, read 4,442,256 times
I would not use a club personal trainer at that price! My PT was at a club but we worked out a deal outside of the club. He eventually left the club and did his own thing. I say it is definitely worth it but find out their background and what qualifies them to PT. I rated mine as excellent. He showed me things I had never done, pushed me to my max, checked out my eating journal, measured and weighed me once a month. He also had a Bachelor's degree in kinesiology, and was certified as a PT.

I also don't think you need one long term. Once you get on a workout regimen you should be able to continue on your own. But, some of us do need that extra push!

Old 11-04-2010, 09:25 AM

834 posts, read 2,684,413 times
Quote:
I have used several personal trainers in the past, some great, some not that great. I think the most expensive one was $55/hour and she was not that great. I'm not sure where you live, so don't know if that is the going rate for a trainer. There ware many websites you can go and set up your own workout without having a trainer (as long as you know how to set your posture, etc). If not, another thing you could go with is finding a bootcamp near you. I go to mine 3 times a week and another running group the other days. It gives me an incentive that there are other people waiting for me. Plus, you get some of the coaching from a trainer to help you do the exercises properly.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:11 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,860,472 times
Quote:
The rate you post seems really cheap to me but it still probably isn't worth it. Going rate at my gym is $60 for ONE session. I've had two sessions and they were both identical and totally worthless. I have to agree with what GalelioSmith posted and wonder if maybe we go to same gym! All they do in the private sessions at my gym is balance on the inflated thingies you stand on (sorry don't know what they are called) and lift 5lb dumbbells. Or they do squats and crunches using the big balance balls. Squats and crunches of course are good, but do you need to pay someone money to watch you do them? If you are unsure on form especially with squats go watch some You Tube videos...they have good exercise videos and you'll learn more from You Tube than the average fitness trainer.

The cardio section at my gym gives one a full view of the entire building so I watch the private sessions every day. There are several people that work out every time they come in with a trainer and interestingly none of those people's bodies have changed. Yet I see informed people working out on their own whose body's are transforming in a matter of weeks. In other words those trainers just take money and don't deliver. Also see them teaching bad outdated form.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:27 PM

258 posts, read 540,907 times
Is a personal trainer worth it?

It depends.

When you lift weights is your form so bad that it could cause a serious injury?

There are good personal trainers, mediocre and bad ones. Can you spot the difference?

Have you read any books on exercise? Have you read several books on exercise?

Educate yourself before you get a trainer.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:38 AM

610 posts, read 1,295,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlandy View Post
I don't post on here often. But I will share my thoughts. I was once a personal trainer and competed on occassion (6-7 years ago). So, I can provide my fair share of expertise.
Trainers can help, yes. trainers can assist in getting you the right mindset, can provide you with a diet plan and workout plan, and can show you workouts that will best suit your needs. But, more than these things, what helps the most is the right mentality. At some point, you can only rely on yourself. A Personal Trainer may be able to show you a few routines in the gym and help you get over that hump of laziness. But, what happens when your sessions are up? At that point, it's all you. If you want results, really, you should rely on yourself. Truth is, you're the only person in your way. So, I think it would only be a wise investment if you actually believe that a trainer is what is needed to get you started (knowing you can finish the process on your own). I don't want to discourage you from getting a trainer. But, I do think you should make sure you can eventually handle the dedication on your own. I've just seen it too many times where people pay for quick results but fade in the end. Ultimately, that is just a waste of money. Good luck to you!
Well said
(I think that for people who are motivated but not very knowledgeable about training the difference will be the greatest, but after a while it's really up to yourself to make things keep happening.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness