Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 08:10 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,771 times

Advertisements

People, men or women, who want the gym to be their place to meet dates. I go with a purpose, and I don't want to be bothered by people trying to hit on me or on each other. Work out. Save the rest for the bars and clubs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 11:45 AM

280 posts, read 1,135,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Is it absolutely necessary to walk around the entire locker room completely naked, and then proceed to brush your teeth (vigorously I might add) while naked, shave, and perform other random acts of grooming in the buff?
This isn't really a pet peeve of mine, more of a mystery, but how can there already be naked old men doing these things in the locker room about 5 minutes after the gym opens? I go first thing in the morning and they're already there "grooming" naked in front of the mirror.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:57 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
My biggest peeves take place in the locker room.

- Is it absolutely necessary to walk around the entire locker room completely naked, and then proceed to brush your teeth (vigorously I might add) while naked, shave, and perform other random acts of grooming in the buff?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovinOutWest View Post
This isn't really a pet peeve of mine, more of a mystery, but how can there already be naked old men doing these things in the locker room about 5 minutes after the gym opens? I go first thing in the morning and they're already there "grooming" naked in front of the mirror.
I don't see any of this in the women's locker room. Most women I see do their hair and make-up with their clothes on or with a towel wrapped around them.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:19 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,562,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAILANI View Post
I am a Y member... Going to end it because of some of these same peeves.

You go in there, 3 tv's on with CNN showing the negativity about our country, Regis and Kelly-blah, and either another news channel or home improvement tv...

The overhead music is mellow rock, if that.

The two ladies on the treadmill, gossiping...

Old ladies walking around naked in the locker room, not a care in the world....

My husband said there was a big guy in the sauna buck naked....That's what the towel is for...

No trainers, supervisors, no one with a clue....

$45 a month for a single membership is waaaay overpriced....
my Y always tries to have Fox news on, I don't care for any of the "news" channels and although people can change channels they always start out in the morning that way: it's like they're trying to influence us and tell how to vote.

and as a single person I to pay $45 dollars a month, a family membership is $65, seriously, even for a family of 4 that's $16.25/month per person and I'm paying $45? I'm sick and tired of subsidizing everyone else. You're single so we'll pick on you. I know the Y is family orientated but then you've got all these kids running around and ditto for all the other people re: comments about how they behave.

A group of 5 teenagers, only one of them working out, the rest standing around , a couple sitting on machines like they are furniture. And then when you ask them if they're using it they get offended. Mommy and Daddy must never tell them no.

Years ago nobody got offended it you asked to cut in but now it's like everyone is in their own little world and wants no contract with anyone.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:14 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
my Y always tries to have Fox news on, I don't care for any of the "news" channels and although people can change channels they always start out in the morning that way: it's like they're trying to influence us and tell how to vote.

and as a single person I to pay $45 dollars a month, a family membership is $65, seriously, even for a family of 4 that's $16.25/month per person and I'm paying $45? I'm sick and tired of subsidizing everyone else. You're single so we'll pick on you. I know the Y is family orientated but then you've got all these kids running around and ditto for all the other people re: comments about how they behave.

A group of 5 teenagers, only one of them working out, the rest standing around , a couple sitting on machines like they are furniture. And then when you ask them if they're using it they get offended. Mommy and Daddy must never tell them no.

Years ago nobody got offended it you asked to cut in but now it's like everyone is in their own little world and wants no contract with anyone.
Y's were at one time an affordable alternative to the Health Clubs. It seems in many instances that has changed. The Y's across the country seem to be very high priced, and the majority except in some large city downtowns are Family Y's. That is fine for the family, but the single person really is better off in an adult gym and for a fair price. There is no reason for the single person to pay such a high price for a YMCA. For that matter the Y's should scale back their membership rates for everyone. Such as the member that only uses the weights and cardio area could pay a lower due, than the member that uses the entire facility.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:27 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Y's were at one time an affordable alternative to the Health Clubs. It seems in many instances that has changed. The Y's across the country seem to be very high priced, and the majority except in some large city downtowns are Family Y's. That is fine for the family, but the single person really is better off in an adult gym and for a fair price. There is no reason for the single person to pay such a high price for a YMCA. For that matter the Y's should scale back their membership rates for everyone. Such as the member that only uses the weights and cardio area could pay a lower due, than the member that uses the entire facility.
I pay the single membership too - my dh would rather work out with a personal trainer...but I can say that the facility I go to is nice enough where it is worth the money. But, I have been to some that are really crappy for the money that you pay. If anything the Y needs to work on that. They should be top notch clubs at every location, not just a few.

It would be interesting if they had membership scales, but policing it was be an interesting feat.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:56 AM

28 posts, read 57,093 times
I will never forget the time this other guy came over to use the locker next to me....and started shaving his leg

Weirder is that he looked at me like I'M trash when I yanked my towel away from under his falling hairs

Other than that, pet peeves include people who stare, people who spend an hour at one machine, and people who criticize you for looking too serious/nonsocial. Have seen all of this often.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:58 AM

610 posts, read 1,295,755 times
Women having endless conversations about their worries about growing too big muscles...
As my local gym has 20.000 members (it's on our university campus) it has quite a lot of wierd people...

Guys wearing a weightlifters belt, gloves and the whole chabang on the threadmill...

People(usually rookies) who act smart about other peoples lifting techniques, like "look at that idiot who's swinging up the curlbar" -when the guy is clearly swinging it fast up to do a negative on the way down...

Geniuses who occupy the squatrack or the weightlifting mat while holding a 5 lb dumbell doing some kind of "toning"...please die.

Self proclaimed instructors. when these come around I just wish I had a shotgun in my backpocket.

People who take an hour on the cardio machines during rush-hour, take a freaken class, the machines are there to warm up on, not run your f-n marathon.

That many machines are dimensioned after midgets, here in scandinavia where people often grow to 6 and a half foot and more the producers of equipment should realise that there is no point in making adjustments for people below 5 ft while there should be up to at least 6'8.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:56 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,678,256 times
One of mine is when guys sling the weight up, usually while making some kind of weird noise, then let the weight drop and then look proudly at how much weight they lifted. Worst is when they do one rep at a time and rest between. They then sit on the machine for 30 minutes. Usually these are big fat guys who want to seem really muscular but aren't.

The other thing is people on the cardio machines who use no resistance and then fly at 100 mph and think they are whipping me and everyone else up.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:33 AM

610 posts, read 1,295,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
One of mine is when guys sling the weight up, usually while making some kind of weird noise, then let the weight drop and then look proudly at how much weight they lifted.
Ah just remembered one more; people who complain when you drop weights.

There are reasons for doing this this, like if you benchpress your own bodyweight in dumbells your shoulders will not like putting them down in all angles after repping until failure... If you powerclean your max it's nothing but an injury risk to take it down slowly, the floor aswell as weightplates are rubbered for a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness