Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 03:11 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
Didn't say, I had a problem with it.

Again, I can't tell you why, men aren't looking at you sweetie.
OK if you want to go down this road I'll speak the truth and I'll make it blunt: The only women I hear complaining about men staring at them in the gym are highly unattractive with less-than-stellar bodies. And I am being kind. VERY kind. It's an artificial ego boost, and one I don't need. Few women who are fit and happy with their lives need to play the victim, and you are most certainly pulling that victim card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 03:39 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,798,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
OK if you want to go down this road I'll speak the truth and I'll make it blunt: The only women I hear complaining about men staring at them in the gym are highly unattractive with less-than-stellar bodies. And I am being kind. VERY kind. It's an artificial ego boost, and one I don't need. Few women who are fit and happy with their lives need to play the victim, and you are most certainly pulling that victim card.
Sweetie, you can be blunt and unkind until the cows come home. My body, face and attitude are great. I'm a well, very well adjusted woman. I'm not one of those people lying about fitness and working out on a freakin forum. I love it and in the gym on a regular. Who's playing the victim here.

My opinion, women how sit in judgment of other women on her experiences at the gym are sad. Who's saying, "omgosh, men are staring and I can't take it". No one. You are the type, because it's not happening to you. It's not happening.

News flash NYC. It's not about you all the time.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:12 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,901,347 times
Quote:
True words there

Only insecure people worry about lookers. Must be ashamed of something...is what it comes down to pure and simple.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:18 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
True words there

Only insecure people worry about lookers. Must be ashamed of something...is what it comes down to pure and simple.
Indeed. And they come to a forum that is all about doing something, about trading actual fitness tips, only to whine and complain. I think their true goal is to drag everyone else down to their own inferior level.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:26 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,945,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
Sweetie, you can be blunt and unkind until the cows come home. My body, face and attitude are great. I'm a well, very well adjusted woman. I'm not one of those people lying about fitness and working out on a freakin forum. I love it and in the gym on a regular. Who's playing the victim here.

My opinion, women how sit in judgment of other women on her experiences at the gym are sad. Who's saying, "omgosh, men are staring and I can't take it". No one. You are the type, because it's not happening to you. It's not happening.

News flash NYC. It's not about you all the time.
I don't know...I agree with others. Your verbiage doesn't exude confidence. It exudes defensiveness which is what happens when the insecure button is pushed. JMHO. Most people are more concerned about working out than paying attention to whether someone is looking at them, etc. Perhaps you need to find a new gym if the clientele there is making you uncomfortable. If you have the option. Otherwise, focus on your workout and ignore others. I couldn't tell you what the person next to me looks like unless they are always at the gym too. It works to ignore people!

Old 12-23-2010, 07:22 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times
Quote:
Let me get this straight. You believe everyone is looking at you and judging you for using free weights...

Then you turn around and judge a man for being too old to be as muscular as he is.

There is ONE person at your gym with a problem, and that person is YOU.

Judgmental, paranoid people are my pet peeve. It's a bad combination.
Tried to rep you for this but I need to spread it around more. These such true words.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:38 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,678,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsgeek20 View Post
Ah just remembered one more; people who complain when you drop weights.

There are reasons for doing this this, like if you benchpress your own bodyweight in dumbells your shoulders will not like putting them down in all angles after repping until failure... If you powerclean your max it's nothing but an injury risk to take it down slowly, the floor aswell as weightplates are rubbered for a reason.

I was really talking about the machines and not free weights, when the stack of weights smacks together. If you are doing some kind of explosive movement where you need to drop the weights then you shouldn't be on a machine in my opinion. The cases I'm talking about are not someone powercleaning a max or repping until failure. The machines I've seen this on usually are the lat pulldown and the bicep curl machine. Many gyms have this policy but don't really enforce it. I've never said anything to anyone, but once I was pretty close to giving someone a lesson on basic weightlifting. These are clueless guys, not seasoned weightlifters.

Old 12-24-2010, 03:48 AM

28 posts, read 57,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etjaipleure View Post
I think my biggest pet peeve is the weird gawking looks I get because I'm a girl and I wanna do some free weights. It's like immediate testosterone freak out if I even glance in the weight room. All the guys then puff out their steroid induced pecks and pick up 50 lb weights and start doing curls. It really peeves me off! Um yeah...I'm not really trying to compete with you...obviously. I'm 5' 1" and I can barely do curls on the machine at 15lbs so just leave me alone.

Another one is the old man still stuck in his 20s and looks like he is taking 'roids. He grunts and screams and then looks arouns to make sure you're looking at him. Ugh. That is why I love my iPod and am thankful for the television sets on some of the bikes and treadmills. So many things at my disposal to ignore others.
You have every right to complain about it, it's rude to stare. Hell, put me down as someone who hates people who stare.

People who assume you are ugly because of this -- are the only ugly ones.

Old 12-24-2010, 05:30 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,083,002 times
Quote:
I know plenty of very attractive women who don't like men staring at them, in the gym or outside.

Old 12-24-2010, 05:49 AM

24 posts, read 42,479 times
It's more rude to stare, than to talk about some old geezer away from him. Imagine if everyone said every comment to each other's face... tempers would flare!

Besides the gabbing-machine-hogging-housewives, I also cannot stand people who do not pick up after themselves. I have injured myself tripping over heavy weights left in my way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness