Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 08:08 AM

46 posts, read 58,744 times

Advertisements

I dont know if this thread is funny, sad or both. Youre overweight because you want to be overweight, unless you have an extremely rare medical condition. Here is all you need to do.

- open your fridge and pantry and get rid of all the garbage thats currently in there
- figure out what your daily calorie intake and daily calorie burn currently is
- create a calorie deficit
- exerecise 5 times a week

There you go. You are no longer destined to be overweight. You will have to eat healthier, less and exeercise. Forget about breakfast, having 6 meals a day etc etc, all of that is nonsense and has been proven to have zero impact on weight gain or weight loss. You are overweight because you eat garbage and arent willing to do the work in order not to be overweight. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
I suffer the same problem, always struggling to lose weight but keep in reasonable shape due to exercising regulary- don't listen to these naturally thin types who never put on weight, or just tell you to keep exercising they are wrong. There people out there who have never exercised a day in their life and still remain thin.

I worked 8 -9 hours a day hard laboring, shovelling, lifting things for 6 days a week - burning way more calories than any 1 hr gym workout - and at the end of yes - I managed to lose some weight, but still slightly overweight and you pile it back on once you stop. Exercise is for weight maintence - its just not feasible at your weight to exercise for two hours plus a day - this what you would need to lose weight. - and then your tired and will eat more.

Exercise is only an assistance to losing weight - continue what your doing in the gym and reduce your calories to 1500 a day, or you might need to go to 1200 per day, its hard but it the only thing that works. You will need to keep this up for months, not easy.

You will probably find that these thin types who recommend lots of exercise all the time - don't actually eat that much food, they might not eat breakfast, or an evening meal - but will tell you they eat what they like all the time.
I think what you just wrote is possibly the most insane and moronic attempt at advice, I have read on any forum, ever. Exercise is a very important part of what you do, if you want to reach your goals. Most thin people work their butt off to be that way. You dont have to workout 2 hours a day. 1200 calories a day is way too low for any human being, not to mention someone who is overweight. LMAO

Old 05-10-2012, 01:25 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,140,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension12 View Post
I think what you just wrote is possibly the most insane and moronic attempt at advice, I have read on any forum, ever. Exercise is a very important part of what you do, if you want to reach your goals. Most thin people work their butt off to be that way. You dont have to workout 2 hours a day. 1200 calories a day is way too low for any human being, not to mention someone who is overweight. LMAO
Thin people work their butt of to be thin, some do yes - plenty of friends never visit a gym, play any sports, work in an office and don't get overweight

I do think for some reason people who are always struggling to lose weight, simply can't eat 2000 - 2500 calories per day and lose weight, or maintain weight.

Guidlines are wrong, and health advice does not apply for Obese people who can't lose weight

Old 05-10-2012, 02:01 PM

17,411 posts, read 16,574,230 times
Quote:
Thin people work their butt of to be thin, some do yes - plenty of friends never visit a gym, play any sports, work in an office and don't get overweight

I do think for some reason people who are always struggling to lose weight, simply can't eat 2000 - 2500 calories per day and lose weight, or maintain weight.

Guidlines are wrong, and health advice does not apply for Obese people who can't lose weight
I agree with this. Caloric needs vary from person to person.

Take any 10 people of the same height/weight, feed them the same food and have them exercise the same amount and some will lose weight, some will gain, some will stay the same. Our bodies are not mass produced machines with matching metabolisms...

Old 05-10-2012, 06:18 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,735,504 times
while metabolisms vary, its not by nearly as much as fat people would want you to believe. if you get your bloodwork done, there are normal ranges for everything they analyze. one person can only be so much higher than another person before it is some kind of medical problem.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:

I know one person who has high metabolism, pigs out all day and never gains a pound. The dude is super thin and never works out. Of course there is no magic number of calories that will work for everyone. But if you commit to getting healthy, losing weight and getting into shape, there is nothing that can stop you. I used to be obese as well and struggled with it for some time, but one day i looked in a mirror and said enough is enough. I ordered the p90x program and was really excited to get started. Bought a little bit of equipment like dumb bells and pull up bar, kept reading about the program, joined beachbody message boards to talk with others. Once the program came, i read the nutrition book, which told me to go to my fridge and throw all the junk out, which i promptly did. I then went grocery shopping and bought the good stuff, veggie and fruits in raw form, complex carbohydrates.

I started drinking water instead of pop or sugar loaded juice. Couple days later I started working out and havent stopped since. This was a year and a half ago, and ive lost probably close to 100 lbs of fat, while gaining 30 lbs of lean muscle, dropped my body fat from 35% to 10% - and most of this happened in the first 90 days. For the last year and a half, I get so many ridiculous compliments that im absolutely sick of them, as ungreatful as it sounds. I went from obese couch potato, who at times thought there was no way I could be fit, to a guy who looks like an athlete and is in the best shape of his life.

My life has changed in a million and one ways, as I use to be depressed and my obesity was only feeding this depression. Today Im a happy guy and really enjoy bneing fit, as well as insane amount of attraction im getting from random women on the street. I can play any sport, hike any mountain, and I actualy do it all. Surely beats sitting on the couch watching garbage and feeling sorry for myself, because im obese and out of shape. Its all about commiting yourself, learning about exercise and nutrition and then taking the first step. Within 1 week of working out, I was absolutely hooked (although very sore) and no longer thought of exercise as punishment, but rather looked towards my workouts every day. You can do it as well, as can any human being. All it takes is your commitment and the right attitude.

Last edited by Ascension12; 05-11-2012 at 08:02 AM..

Old 05-11-2012, 07:49 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,416,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeltCrystal View Post
I am not sure if this is really the right forum for this question. If it is, Mods please move it to the appropriate forum.

I have been overweight for the most of my life. Right now I am 5'5 and 250lbs. Most of the members of my family are overweight, on both my mothers and fathers side. Even my parents and older sibling is overweight. As a result, our metabolism is very, very low. My mother has worked out for years now and has lost very little weight. At least not to much to be noticeable. I myself have worked out and have lost very little weight if any at all. I felt slightly slimmer, but overall there was no noticeable change. Currently I have been getting back on my treadmill for 60 minutes daily and still have not lost weight. I absolutely HATE exercise so all in all, doing this everyday is really frustrating especially when I am not getting any good results. I have been doing this since January of 2010. I changed my diet, including going vegan, low calorie and cutting out my favorite junk foods. I still have no noticeable results.

So my question is, is this really genetic factors that explain why I am not losing weight? Should I just quit all together? I am really starting to lose motivation and have just decided to accept and embrace my body the way it is. Are there any faster, easier ways to lose weight?
People are going to have to wrap their heads around the idea that working out (especially the softie pants way most people do it) is not the key to weight loss. Proper diet with properly timed meals (and appropriate caloric intake) is the key. Exercise just fuels that fire and helps it happen a lot faster. Plus, fitness is just good for you! Adding muscle can raise your BMR. But diet is A #1 on the list of things you have to get a handle on.

Not go on a diet. Proper diet.

And seriously. Step away from the refined carbs.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
while metabolisms vary, its not by nearly as much as fat people would want you to believe. if you get your bloodwork done, there are normal ranges for everything they analyze. one person can only be so much higher than another person before it is some kind of medical problem.
I wish one of these realty shows would test this - put people of the same height/weight (+/- 2lbs) on the exact same caloric input and exercise regime (with a controlled incidental activity level). Then see what happens to the scale, every week for 16 weeks.

Maybe put them all in a controlled "fat camp" type of environment where their day's activities are strictly structured.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:10 AM

Its not about whether people of the same size need the same calorie intake or not. Its about each individual figuring out what their calorie intake and burn is for a day, and creating a deficit.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension12 View Post
Its not about whether people of the same size need the same calorie intake or not. Its about each individual figuring out what their calorie intake and burn is for a day, and creating a deficit.
Then you are pretty much agreeing with Mikeyking's post ? It is not as easy for some people to create a calorie deficit because their caloric needs are low to begin with...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness