Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 11:15 AM

17,399 posts, read 16,547,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Has anyone bought a pair of those Dr Scholls orthotics in the store. Its a self serve display that takes a picture of your foot and then tells you which orthotic to buy. They are $50.00. I bought a pair today. Im not sure they are doing much of anything though. Time will tell.
I buy the regular athletic shoe gels, I've never used the Dr Scholls customizer machine. The ones I buy cost less than $20 for a pair and I noticed relief (from PF heel pain) as soon as I put them in my shoes.

If you put gels in your shoes and you still feel discomfort, I would go to a doctor. When you favor a foot due to pain, you often wind up creating other problems for yourself...

Last edited by springfieldva; 03-21-2011 at 11:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 11:31 AM

17,399 posts, read 16,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Thanks Alley. I bought them today and Im having pain in my big toe. What a waste of money. I also had high hopes. The Podiatrist told me the custom one would be $380. I do have BC/BS though and they pay 70%. Guess I will give the Podiatrist a call and see about getting them. Thanks.
I would also ask how long the custom orthotics typically last/how often you will need to replace them. I need to replace my store bought gels on a fairly regular basis which may or may not be the case with custom orthotics.

Is your pain primarily in your big toe or is that a new pain in addition to the PF?

Old 03-21-2011, 01:06 PM

9,537 posts, read 16,527,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I would also ask how long the custom orthotics typically last/how often you will need to replace them. I need to replace my store bought gels on a fairly regular basis which may or may not be the case with custom orthotics.

Is your pain primarily in your big toe or is that a new pain in addition to the PF?

The pain started within moments of wearing the Dr Scholls Orthotic. I took it out today and used another insert I have, and the pain in the toe stopped.

Im guessing the Dr Scholls orthotic is raising the arch in a way, that pressure is being put on the toe or pushing it into the shoe. Im not sure I just know it caused pain immediately and I can't wear it. A shame because its not cheap.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:28 PM

17 posts, read 46,472 times
Cortisone shots are often the last resort since they can have complications such as tissue rupture. Home treatments for heel pain include calf muscle stretching, use of over the counter arch supports, oral anti inflammatory medications like Advil, and heel pain exercises as seen here:
Heel Pain Exercises

For more persistent pain, surgery may be needed. However, a newer treatment which is a good thing to try before surgical operation is ESWT. This is shockwave therapy that uses painless energy waves directed at the painful area to stimulate blood flow and encourage a natural healing response from the body.
ESWT Shockwave Therapy

Old 02-23-2012, 05:15 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
I had plantar fascitis about ten years ago and for several months it was VERY painful. I did stretches, foot exercises, took pain medication, nothing helped. At the time I was running three miles 3 times per week. When I stopped running, the pain miraculously ceased almost immediately. I was over 40 and too old to keep running anyway. A friend who kept it up ended up having surgery on both knees. His doc told him that running was a no-no after 40, but he wouldn't listen.
No running over 40? That's gotta be one of the most bizarre things I've heard; just more evidence that you can't always take a docs word. I'm well over 40 and run almost everyday. I'd say avoid running a lot on pavement; keep your weight in check so that you're not putting extra stress on joints; don't run if running (or any exercise) causes pain--instead let the problem area heal, then slowly ease back into an exercise regimen.

Just some common sense that apparently is not taught in medical school.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:20 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
I had symptoms for a short time. I ended up trading my shoes for more supportive ones and it went away pretty fast. But over the following year, I noticed my feet would kill me after standing for 4 hours. In shoes that previously caused no problems. Then a few months later I found out I was hypothyroid, and I know that is one of the symptoms. They haven't returned since I went on thyroid medicine.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:10 PM

44,369 posts, read 20,073,157 times
I had plantar fasciitis several years ago. My family doctor recommended rolling a golf ball under my foot from base of toes to heel, applying quite a bit of pressure, to stretch and ease the tendons. Well, I'll be darned! It worked beautifully! After several months of severe pain, my foot was pain free after about a week or so of rolling the golf ball several times a day.

Now, once in a great while, I'll have a little flare-up. I immediately get out the golf ball, use it a couple of times, and the pain goes away.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:23 PM

399 posts, read 855,143 times
I was diagnosed with this however it turned out to be gout. Make sure it is what it is.

Old 02-23-2012, 03:58 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,673,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
No running over 40? That's gotta be one of the most bizarre things I've heard; just more evidence that you can't always take a docs word. I'm well over 40 and run almost everyday. I'd say avoid running a lot on pavement; keep your weight in check so that you're not putting extra stress on joints; don't run if running (or any exercise) causes pain--instead let the problem area heal, then slowly ease back into an exercise regimen.

Just some common sense that apparently is not taught in medical school.
Agreed! That is ridiculous. Check out a guy from Western Pennsylvania by the name of Lou Lodovico. This website has some of his race results from last year. He is now 88.
Member News - Big Beaver Big Dawgs

2012 Beaver Winter Runs - Big Beaver Big Dawgs

Youngstown Road Runners Club

Athlinks search - Lou Lodovico,Lou Lodovico

Old 02-24-2012, 05:56 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
I had plantar fasciitis several years ago. My family doctor recommended rolling a golf ball under my foot from base of toes to heel, applying quite a bit of pressure, to stretch and ease the tendons. Well, I'll be darned! It worked beautifully! After several months of severe pain, my foot was pain free after about a week or so of rolling the golf ball several times a day.

Now, once in a great while, I'll have a little flare-up. I immediately get out the golf ball, use it a couple of times, and the pain goes away.

You can also use something chilled, like a can of frozen OJ. For both my dad and I, rolling something under the foot provides some temporary relief, but that's about it. For me, when mine is flaring up, I need all-night pressure via support bands applying pressure to my arches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness