Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 10:33 AM

33 posts, read 66,658 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering if anyone has found themselves on an "island" of sorts in making a commitment to maintaining their fitness regimen?

I'm working out 6 days a week and tracking what I eat very carefully. My friends and family are aware of this -- but still insist on asking me to cook things I can't eat or to go places to eat that would completely blow my diet.

I do allow myself treats here and there, but I just can't bring myself to eat a meal that is going to take my numbers off the scale. I'm eating 1200-1400 calories a day (depending on how much I've burned during workout) - and trying to maintain a 40-40-20 ratio in nutrients. Most of my meals are planned to keep me on track with this.

I admit that my workouts are pretty intense. I'm doing the Insanity program and teaching weight training classes twice a week. Once a week if I'm able, I try to get in a Bikram yoga class. I invite people to join me in these activities, but no one is interested.

The guy that I've been seeing gets attitude because I get up early in the morning to workout. He doesn't workout at all and takes it personal that I need that early morning time to get it done.

And it is hard to get people to do things that aren't food related. I've had people make remarks about how gaining weight is an unavoidable part of getting older and I should just accept that. People are downright snarky about it. I think that's crazy. I'm in better shape now than I was when I in my twenties. And I love the fact that I can go toe to toe in a workout with the MMA fighters and young guys at the gym - and still manage to maintain my femininity.

I'd like to have a good time doing other things though. But I'm not willing to blow everything I've achieved in order to do that. It sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 10:38 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Bottom line is that people who REALLY care about you will support your efforts in anything you do, so long as it isn't self-destructive.

Having said that, there aren't many sit-down restaurants out there that don't have *something* you could eat and not bust your diet...

Old 04-27-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Having said that, there aren't many sit-down restaurants out there that don't have *something* you could eat and not bust your diet...
There are things I can eat -- but I'm subject to the "snarky" remarks about what I order. It makes me self-conscious and then irritated...

Old 04-27-2011, 10:47 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by messedup View Post
The guy that I've been seeing gets attitude because I get up early in the morning to workout. He doesn't workout at all and takes it personal that I need that early morning time to get it done.
are you trying to better deal the guy?

sounds to me like you are making your identity into someone who must restrict her diet and must do x and y and z and everybody must know about it. i have low bodyfat, lots of muscle and i still go out to eat on weekends and eat normal food.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:54 AM

I don't expect everyone else to do what I do. But when I started Insanity - I made a commitment to follow it through for the 9 weeks - that includes the diet. I do treat myself - but I also know how easy it is to slip and backtrack. I don't believe getting older means that you have to be out of shape -- but it takes significantly more effort (especially as a woman) to maintain.

Again - I don't lord this over everyone. The same people who give me grief about my fitness regimen are the same ones who come to me with questions about what they need to do to get into shape. But they aren't willing to do the work. Hell -- the guy I mentioned badgered me for for my P90X dvds and then NEVER used them.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:05 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,985,269 times
I feel better and look better - I suspect my example is encouraging my family and friends to exercise and eat healthier as well. I generally ignore any negativity and recommend the OP do the same.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:13 AM

41,961 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
There are things I can eat -- but I'm subject to the "snarky" remarks about what I order. It makes me self-conscious and then irritated...
Grow a thicker skin.

It won't cause you to gain weight.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:14 AM

741 posts, read 1,288,853 times
I have an inlaw family member that will visit annually for a month or MORE at our house. She expects me to completely suspend all physical activities during this time and sit on the couch listening about all the new illnesses she just realized she had, or about the most recent person to slight her.
I still go to the gym most days, but she sighs heavily and complains to Dear Husband (DH) that I'm ignoring her or "ruining" her vacation. She even accused me once of "trying to escape" when I left my house for the gym. She also likes to make comments about how OBSSESSED I am.... we are talking about 30-60 minutes of moderate excersise here.
She's an adult, she can deal with it, or stop crashing at my house!!!!!!

Old 04-27-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMachine View Post
She also likes to make comments about how OBSSESSED I am.... we are talking about 30-60 minutes of moderate excersise here.

30-60 minutes isn't obsessive. I usually spend no more than 90 minutes.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:17 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
I don't expect everyone else to do what I do.
thats not what im saying. im just saying that you make sure everyone knows that you are super committed to fitness and wont break the rules no matter what. like they ask you to dinner and you start yapping about how you are on a diet and have trouble finding something to eat. then at the place you make a bunch of special requests and comment about how few options they have. not necessarily those things, but stuff along those lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness