Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 08:59 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times

Advertisements

Your medications will need to be adjusted with weight changes. Your doctor should let you know how and when to do that. But a simple starter that is absolutely safe and good for you is to watch your salt intake. Get that to a healthy level and your BP should be helped and you will quickly shed extra water weight so you feel thinner and more motivated. Another simple starter that is safe and healthy is just drink water only. Diet soda has some cals and can mess with some people's weightloss and is just plain old unhealthy. Dehydration can slow your metab by up to 10 percent! So drink up.

Free Diet Plans at SparkPeople

use that for detailed personalized guidance on what to eat and how to workout. Run it by your doc first of course. He may want you to diet off a few pounds without the stress of exercise if your BP is dangerously high.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:12 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,395,410 times
Quote:
I cannot afford a trainer or a nutrion, I do not work. I cant go to a fitness center or gym. I have fitness programs that you can do in the comfort of your own home, I am too embarrassed to work out at the gym with all those gym nuts calling me out(main reason why I despise gyms/fitness centers)
Honestly, I doubt very much anyone pays as much attention as you think to other people working out. Most of us are there to get our workout in and get showered up and get to whereever else we need to be....

Old 06-08-2011, 11:45 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,739,792 times
Actually I rarely eat fast food probably just 1 or 2 times a week. My parents wont let me drive and I live in a rural area with no sidewalks, in other words it is dangerous to walk on narrow 2 way streets we have here. I don't have a driver's license, permit, or ID do gyms check for these things?

I do a lot of homecooking. I do not have a say on what my mom wants to buy from the grocery store. We generally buy junk foods for example soda, meats, rice etc. We rarely buy fruit and vegetables unless it is in a can due to the fruits spoil quickly and no one really eats them anyway. Thats why I was saying what exercise would be best (and fun) for me?

Old 06-08-2011, 12:10 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
Actually I rarely eat fast food probably just 1 or 2 times a week. My parents wont let me drive and I live in a rural area with no sidewalks, in other words it is dangerous to walk on narrow 2 way streets we have here. I don't have a driver's license, permit, or ID do gyms check for these things?

I do a lot of homecooking. I do not have a say on what my mom wants to buy from the grocery store. We generally buy junk foods for example soda, meats, rice etc. We rarely buy fruit and vegetables unless it is in a can due to the fruits spoil quickly and no one really eats them anyway. Thats why I was saying what exercise would be best (and fun) for me?
Your diet is the biggest factor. It's unfortunate that your mother only buys junk foods. Nevertheless, you can still probably work with what she buys. It's just going to take a lot of determination and will power. Reduce your portion sizes. Start measuring your food. As another poster stated, a serving size of meat is about the size of a deck of cards. It might be hard at first, but reducing your intake will go a long way.

As far as fun exercise goes...do you like dancing? It's fun, and it's physical movement = exercise. A trampoline is fun exercise if you own one. If you have cable, there are a lot of "On-Demand" exercise channels that you can use. I'm not sure what you consider fun/not fun...but walking is always easy and effective as long as you're consistent. You mentioned the dangers of walking in your neighborhood, so can you possibly get to the nearest school with a track? At this point, it sounds like anything that will get you moving will work. You can even walk around in circles in your backyard.

It's not easy, but hang in there. Once you see results, you'll not want to stop.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:14 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
Quote:

Excuses, excuses, excuses. The one thing all people who lose a lot weight have in common? They stop making excuses for their poor lifestyle.

You don't know what is best for you; that is why you are 100 pounds overweight in the first place.

Sorry but you will not lose the weight and get off the toxic medication unless you change your diet. Your diet is what got you to be 100 pounds over weight in the first place. Follow my food advice, you will start losing the weight. Buy frozen veggies instead of canned ones.

I'd guess your mom is overweight too, but perhaps not as much as you. You need to change your diet together, or you are going to get fatter and fatter over time. Really. You are going to be the 400 pound lady who never leaves her house if you don't change your diet. And you will take more and more meds with will make you more depressed, and you will die young.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:29 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,739,792 times
I like dancing and I have on demand and do the exercises they have on their. I have only been doing 30 mins or so and I drink water afterwards.

The only thing I am afraid of is ending up hungry if I eat small portions, but I guess it takes getting used to.

Actually everyone in my family is overweight and high blood pressure runs in the family so it was almost destined that I would get it too. My mom is heavier than I am if you wanted to know.

I have never thought about frozen veggies, since we are so used to can or fresh vegetables. Thanks for the advice everyone, maybe I can encourage the rest of my family to start making healthy choices and on the track to losing weight.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:49 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,023 times
Quote:
I like dancing and I have on demand and do the exercises they have on their. I have only been doing 30 mins or so and I drink water afterwards.

The only thing I am afraid of is ending up hungry if I eat small portions, but I guess it takes getting used to.

Actually everyone in my family is overweight and high blood pressure runs in the family so it was almost destined that I would get it too. My mom is heavier than I am if you wanted to know.

I have never thought about frozen veggies, since we are so used to can or fresh vegetables. Thanks for the advice everyone, maybe I can encourage the rest of my family to start making healthy choices and on the track to losing weight.
That's a start. How often are you exercising? I once transformed myself in about two - three months by exercising 6 days a week for 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes in the evening. I cut out fat and sugar. I ate salad with no dressing. I drank nothing but water. It was a drastic change in my diet, but I'd completely transformed myself by being consistent. The weight just melted off.

So just stick with it. You're going to be hungry at times, but that's where the determination comes in. You're not going to die from hunger. You have to put your health first and understand that a few bouts with hunger is nothing compared to possible life threatening conditions.

If you haven't seen any results thus far, increase your activity level. Decrease your food intake.

Trust me, if you're consistent, you'll be successful!

Much luck to you!

Old 06-08-2011, 12:52 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,985,244 times
Quote:

I would try to cut out the fast food completely. Fast food is LOADED with saturated fats, cholesterol and sodium, all of which are bad for your blood pressure, and lead to your gaining weight. And fast food is also high in calories. Take a look here to see the calorie and nutrition counts in fast food:
Fast Food Calories | Nutrition Facts | Find Healthy Fast Food
At 18, you might want to try to find a part-time job, so you'll have money to purchase your own food.

Also try to explain to your mom the importance of eating healthy. Maybe she'll listen and want to change with you.

You should still buy and eat fruit and vegetables. That is one of the main reasons you (and probably other family members) are heavy, and have high blood pressure. Your family is making poor choices in the foods you purchase. Meats should be only a very small portion of your diet. The majority of your diet should consist of fruit and vegetables, grains and cereals, nuts, beans, and other healthy foods.

And please, lay off the soda. Switch to drinking a lot of water (6+ glasses), and maybe a glass of fruit juice (orange juice, apple juice, etc.) each day. Also consider drinking fat free (skim) milk in place of whole milk.

If you're worried about fresh fruit and vegetables spoiling, store them in the refrigerator. I buy an entire watermelon, and cut it up, place the pieces into large tupperware containers, and put it in the fridge. Then it will last a month, and is ready to eat. Apples and oranges stay fresh a month or more in the fridge. Strawberries last around 1 week in the fridge. I also keep cut up vegetables (bell peppers, cucumbers, onions, etc) in tupperware containers, and place them in the fridge, so I can easily use them when making salad or adding to a meal I am cooking.

Here is a post I created in another thread, which shows the foods I typically eat:
//www.city-data.com/forum/19497299-post54.html
If you can't go for walks, then try exercising at home. There are lots of exercises you can do while standing in place. Get a stair stepper, which looks like a footstool, and you can simply step up on it, and step back down, and just keep repeating that exercise for maybe 10 minutes a day, or whatever you feel your body can handle. Just want to work up a sweat. Check out an exercise video from the library, or check YouTube for loads of exercise videos you can watch for free:
YouTube Exercise Videos For Losing Weight

Also, there is no reason you can't simply walk back and forth across a grass field, since there are no sidewalks where you live. Walking is walking no matter where you do it. You might even get more of a workout walking across an unpaved grassy field, as opposed to walking on a paved sidewalk.

And as another person mentioned, eat small portions of food. If your goal is to weigh around 150lbs or less, then you don't want to each much more than 10 times that amount each day in calories (150 x 10 = 1500 calories).

Chances are, you are eating closer to 2000 calories or more per day, which would make you around 200lbs or more.

Exercise also burns up calories. So if you do enough exercise to burn 500 calories, then you can either enjoy 500 more calories of food that day, or the exercise will burn fat from your body, and you will lose weight.

Last edited by RD5050; 06-08-2011 at 02:21 PM..

Old 06-08-2011, 12:59 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
Quote:

High blood pressure probably "runs in your family" because you are all obese, not for hereditary reasons. It was not destined for you to be on BP meds at this age, trust me.

Canned veggies contains a ton of sodium, the last thing you need when you have high blood pressure.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:00 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
I cannot afford a trainer or a nutrion, I do not work. I cant go to a fitness center or gym. I have fitness programs that you can do in the comfort of your own home, I am too embarrassed to work out at the gym with all those gym nuts calling me out(main reason why I despise gyms/fitness centers)

Weight is more than just a number, my physician told me that I must loose 100lbs and i will still be overweight if I lost that huge amount. My metabolism is just horrible. I have tried weight watchers and starving but both turned out to be unsuccessful, I guess the exercises I have been doing are not good enough I have not lost any weight. And unfortunately I am addicted to diet sodas.

The clothes situation, there are no cute clothes for girls my size anyway. Should I just buy a pair of jeans every month or two in a smaller size and see if they fit? I can always return them if they do not fit. I never liked jeans I never feel comfortable in them and you have to try them on. I just currently wear sweatpants and skirts so I do not have to worry about something fitting or not fitting. But for my weight loss goal I think it would be best just to buy jeans. I need an exercise that will make my hip/thigh/butt area very tiny as well as losing stomach fat.

(Hey I just noticed there was a diet and weight loss blog can a administrator move this please?)
Quote:

You're going to have to educate yourself about nutrition and exercise. I would start at sparkpeople.com. It's a free online site with lots of information and it allows you to track your calories as well as other nutrients. With your HBP you'll need to keep track of your sodium, I imagine.

Even if you're not in charge of what food you buy, there are some things you can do. First, stop drinking sodas, diet or otherwise. You're not addicted to them, they've just become a habit for you. Although the scientific evidence is not completely clear, they are believed to mess up your metabolism. Just drink water, and aim for 1/2 gallon a day.

By fitness programs you can do at home, do you mean exercise videos? If you have some, do them for at least 30 mins. a day, 5-6 days a week to start out and make sure it feels like you're working. You should be out of breath, but not dying. As time goes on, you'll want to increase the duration to 60-90 mins.

Even if your metabolism is horrible, there are some things you can do to fix it. Aim to eat between 1,200 and 1,800 calories a day, divided up into 5 or 6 small meals. Again, even if you're not in charge of the food that comes into the house, you're in charge of what you put on your plate. You can still eat meat and rice, but just less of it. Start reading labels and keeping track of your calories (Sparkpeople is great for that, but it's certainly not necessary.)

Don't worry about your clothes right now. When what you're wearing starts to get baggy, buy a couple of things to see you through to the next drop in weight.

You are not destined to have high blood pressure. If your entire family is significantly overweight, it is about 99% related to your lifestyle. Stop thinking in terms of destiny when it comes to your weight and health because there are lots of things you can do. YOU are in charge of your destiny.

You asked how to lose 100 pounds quickly. You need to think in terms of losing 100 lbs over about 2 years to do it safely and in a way that it will stay off. There is no short-term solution. Take things one day at a time and if that's too much, take things an hour at a time. You can do anything for an hour, right?

I'm guessing that you might encounter resistance from your family. Some relatives may see your trying to lose weight as a criticism of them. You'll need a strong will and a thick skin to do this.

For inspiration, look for ladyKLO's posts on here. She has lost a great deal of weight through healthy eating and moderate exercise.

Good luck with everything!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness