Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2011, 06:52 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,982,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
Thank you RD5050, as always. I was scared yesterday as I thought that my caloric intake would be higher than the day before, but I am glad about my improvements.

I told my mom to get the Caesar salad because I knew I might be hungry later and it did help when I started to feel hungry again. I will ditch the hamburgers and fries and stick to the salad whenever I have to eat fast food. I already knew that grilled chicken salads were the better choices opposed to tohe other salads which had fried/breaded chicken strips on them.

Also I know eating lightly for dinner is going to be a challenge since of most heaviest meal is supper. Was thinking of just eating half of my dinner tonight then eating the rest later on.
Breaking up your dinner into two meals is a good idea. It will give your body a chance to digest the first portion, before you eat the second portion.

And I'm glad you decided to cut out McDonalds hamburgers and fries from your diet. The sodium in them is probably the biggest problem for you. The Caesars Salad with Grilled Chicken is a much better choice nutritionally, but it is still high in sodium.

I'll be happy to continue breaking down your food calories for a few more days if you want me to.

It's also easy to do yourself. You just enter the food name into a google search, and include the word "nutrition" next to the name.

For example, just type in "McDouble Nutrition", and there will be multiple websites provided as a result of the search, that can show the calories, fat, protein, carbs, sodium, etc.

Then you just enter the serving size (ex: 1 tsp, 1 cup, 1 whatever), and it will give you the same numbers that I provided in my previous posts. It's really simple to do.

Then just add up the numbers at the end of the day, and you'll have your total calories and nutrition breakdown.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:54 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,982,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Eating McDonalds every day isn't a good idea but I can't imagine how it could make someone's kidneys come close to failing in 30 days. That doesn't sound plausible unless the individual already has kidney problems.
Watch the movie, see for yourself. The guy was healthy when he started.

From the IMDB website:

Super Size Me (2004) - IMDb

Quote:
Before starting the experiment, he is tested by three doctors - a general practitioner, a cardiologist and a gastroenterologist - who pronounce his general health to be outstanding. They will also monitor him over the thirty days to ensure that he is not placing his health into irreparable damage

Old 07-15-2011, 07:05 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
To the OP: McDonald's also provides nutritional content on their entire menu, on their website and at every store. So does Burger King, and as far as I know every fast food joint in the country.

A trick to lowering the sodium on salads, is to push the salad away from one portion of the plate it comes in. Squeeze the dressing into that now-empty portion. Do NOT mix the dressing into the salad.

Instead, dip your fork into the dressing, and THEN get a forkful of salad onto that dressing-dipped fork.

By doing this, you get a taste of the dressing in each bite, but use only a very small portion of the packet.

I personally recommend you -not- get the low-fat dressing, but instead, get the regular dressing, and use that method. It tastes better, and it has less unhealthy ingredients. (Notice I don't say it has healthier ingredients, because that would imply that both are healthy. They're not. But one is less unhealthy than the other).

Old 07-15-2011, 07:33 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,677,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Have you ever seen the movie Supersize Me?

You can watch it here for free on Hulu:

Hulu - Super Size Me - Watch the full movie now.

In this movie (which is a documentary), a man attempts to live off McDonalds food for an entire month.

He has regular checkups at his doctor during this experiment.

By the end of the month the man is extremely sick, and his doctor tells him his kidneys are failing, etc.

I highly suggest you watch it, so you can see for yourself that proper nutrition (eating healthy foods) IS important for maintaining your body functions.

Supersize Me is also available at libraries, video stores, etc. It was a highly rated documentary.

Here is the IMDB description:

how many calories did the guy eat a day? i didnt see the movie but i seem to remember hearing that part of the deal was he had to get the biggie size if they asked if he wanted it. so im assuming he ate a lot of calories.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I'll disagree, again, with the Captain. Genetics and metabolism play a part in how your body handles food.
while it plays a part and everyone is different, one person's metabolism can only work so much above or below normal before it becomes a medical condition.

there are things out there that may speed up your heart and burn extra calories (like ephedra). i think if you do research people say they increase your calorie burning by like 3-4%. so in a 2000 calorie diet, thats about 80 calories. those supplements can have a noticeable increase in your heart rate and impact how you feel and even make you shake. so if thats 3-4%/80 calories, realistically how much more is one normal person's metabolism going to be working than another normal person? bottom line is that blaming metabolism and/or genetics is bs.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 07-15-2011 at 07:46 PM..

Old 07-15-2011, 07:36 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,739,222 times
Here is what I ate today. Sorry if this is late.

Breakfast
Same as yesterdays
Water and Florida's Natural Orange Juice with No pulp for the drink

Lunch
Had a late breakfast, so I skipped

No snacks today either

Dinner
3 whole chicken legs
3/4 cup of Zatarins reduced sodium jambalaya rice
Mountain dew Pitch Black and Water

Exercise was 30 mins on the treadmill going a 2.5 speed. That is how fast I can go at the moment.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
you do realize that things like "mountain dew" and other regular sodas are supposed to be completely banned from what you should be consuming?

Old 07-15-2011, 08:31 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,739,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you do realize that things like "mountain dew" and other regular sodas are supposed to be completely banned from what you should be consuming?
Yes, but I also promised to be truthful. I know I made a bad decision

Old 07-15-2011, 09:00 PM

274 posts, read 370,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Have you ever seen the movie Supersize Me?

You can watch it here for free on Hulu:

Hulu - Super Size Me - Watch the full movie now.

In this movie (which is a documentary), a man attempts to live off McDonalds food for an entire month.

He has regular checkups at his doctor during this experiment.

By the end of the month the man is extremely sick, and his doctor tells him his kidneys are failing, etc.

I highly suggest you watch it, so you can see for yourself that proper nutrition (eating healthy foods) IS important for maintaining your body functions.

Supersize Me is also available at libraries, video stores, etc. It was a highly rated documentary.

Here is the IMDB description:

Just to represent the other side of it, here's the movie FAT HEAD, which is kind of a response to Super Size Me:
Fat Head (2009) - IMDb

Enjoy!

Old 07-15-2011, 09:44 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Jewel's menu, with my comments bolded:

Breakfast
Same as yesterdays
Water and Florida's Natural Orange Juice with No pulp for the drink

Awesome that you included water. Some people will scold you for having OJ, but what I'll do instead, is recommend you have an actual real life orange instead of OJ. In fact, I'd recommend you get 2 valencia (juice, not navel) oranges, and squeeze them into a glass, and drink that juice that you squeezed yourself. WITH the pulp. That's where you get some of your daily fiber. Valencias are smaller than navels, but much much juicier. You'll want to cut back to only one orange, but try squeezing two to see how little juice that is, as a lesson for yourself, so you know how much juice you "should" be drinking, when you choose to drink juice. It's a lot less than you think!

Lunch
Had a late breakfast, so I skipped
Please try not to skip from morning to evening without *something* nutritious, or you'll end up feeling weak long before suppertime. You can buy baby carrots, already washed and peeled, and some supermarkets also sell bags of organic snap peas. For $1.00 you can buy 50 snack-sized plastic ziplocks. I'm suggesting these things, so you could sneak them into the basket when you go WITH your mom to the supermarket

For a snack, you only need to toss maybe 5 or 6 baby carrots, and 6-10 whole snap-pea pods into the bag. It isn't a meal, it's definitely only a snack. But it will be a snack loaded with healthy vitamins, a marginal amount of sugar (from the carrots), and dietary fiber.

Today, you had no vegetables at all. This snack would provide you with delicious raw vegetables that satisfy a love of sweet things, plus a fun crunchy sensation, great texture combination, without adding any seasonings, no cooking, no sauce, no dipping, no nuttin. Cheap, delicious, and very good for you. And, will tide you over til suppertime.

Dinner
3 whole chicken legs
3/4 cup of Zatarins reduced sodium jambalaya rice
Next time, have only 1/3 cup rice, only eat the skin on *one* of those chicken legs, discard the skin on the other two. ADD a small salad, or maybe some steamed brocolli or asparagus, or one of my absolute favorites - fresh spinach sauteed in a *tiny* bit of olive oil and minced fresh garlic, served warm. I'm glad you're not drinking "diet" soda...and I understand it's hard to change overnight. So I won't scold you about the Mountain Dew

Exercise was 30 mins on the treadmill going a 2.5 speed. That is how fast I can go at the moment.

Totally excellent with the treadmill. Here's one tip, that helps me get through my cardio (I do some every day): mix it up a bit.
day 1: 30 minutes at 2.5 mph
day 2: 20 minutes at 3.0 mph
day 3: 30 minutes at 2.5, but inclined at level 1 (if your machine has adjustable incline levels)
day 4: 20 minutes at 3.0 mph
day 5: 30 minutes at 2.5 mph
Ride your bike for day 6 and 7, then the next week start over but try day 1+5 at incline level 1, and day 3 at incline level 1.5

Or maybe even:
5 minutes at 2.5. 5 minutes at 3.0. 10 minutes at 2.5. 2 minutes at 4 (that would be jogging). then slow it down to 5 minutes at 3.0, then finish off with 5 at 2.5.

The reason for this is to avoid burning out. Doing the same thing over and over again gets boring, and frustrating, and isn't much of a challenge to your body or your mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness