Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 06:40 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i really liked the intervals when i was doing it. keeps things interesting because you are watching the clock and changing speed every minute. plus it gives you a chance to go all out every few minutes so you really can push yourself and you know that at the end of the minute you can ease up. my shirt used to be 100% drenched in sweat when i did that.
I dropped to 150lbs after the Intensity period. I felt incredibly fit but was too lean. Shocked my family who thought I was ill.

Had to stop and gained back to my normal 165lbs. I am 6'0 so it fits my build

Ok. plateau for laziness. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 10:09 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,985,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bson1257 View Post
I just got an elliptical machine about a week ago and I have been using it for 15-20 minutes a day. Is it alright if I keep using it every day?
The only thing I would recommend is periodically monitoring your heart rate while on the machine.

Some machines have built-in heart rate monitors. If yours doesn't have one, you can purchase one that you wear on your wrist like a watch, which also has a strap wrapped around your chest, and the chest strap transmits a signal to the watch. A company named Polar makes a lot of different models of heart rate monitors.

Depending on your age and overall health, you don't want to over exert yourself, so don't let your heart rate go too high by attempting to push yourself beyond your limits.

If you currently have any type of health issues which may affect your heart (if you are a long term smoker, etc), I would check with your doctor to see what he/she recommends.

Elliptical machines can really get your heart rate going fast, so it's best to know your limits.

Here is a website that might help:

How To Set Your Heart Rate Limits | LIVESTRONG.COM

This website has a tool which helps determine your max and min rates based on your age, and your heart rate at rest.

Heart Rate Tool

Personally, I use an elliptical machine for around 30 minutes a day, around 4-5 times a week, and I keep my heart rate at around 120 - 130 during the entire 30 minutes. I use it strictly as a cardio workout to exercise my heart, and not for losing weight. The machine I use has a built-in heart rate monitor, and if I notice my heart rate is going too fast, then I slow down my movement to get my heart rate back to the level where I want it.

This website explains cardio exercise:

http://pilates.about.com/od/pilatesf...y/a/Cardio.htm

Last edited by RD5050; 07-01-2011 at 10:18 PM..

Old 07-01-2011, 10:23 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,860,686 times
Your body is the best gauge, if you have pain and/or any other problems then stop. A little bit soreness is expected. Knock yourself out while it is new and make sure you don't convert it to the undie hanger.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:07 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,583,980 times
you can go on the elliptical often, as long as you stretch in between to not tear any muscles. This is because the elliptical eliminates the impact that is usually received from running steps on the ground, thus it is easier on the joints.

If you're already doing 20 minutes, then don't go down in time, hardly any difference between 15 minutes and 20 aside from 100 extra calories or so burned.
If it feels easy, add 5 minutes, and then add 5 mins/week until you can go for 90 minutes. Get some good music that makes it easy for you to think/feel good. (I personally go with hardstyle techno when doing cardio but that's just me)

Old 07-04-2011, 09:41 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Of course it's all right to use it everyday. I'd get bored, though, doing the same thing every day; I like to mix things up with walking, running, elliptical, rowing, hiking.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:43 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Sure, but you'll get bored with it after a while. I agree with the HIIT-ers to keep it interesting but you should probably have more variety in your workout. I would definitely get bored doing the elliptical every day! I use one maybe 1-2 times a week at the gym.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:08 AM

573 posts, read 1,050,430 times
As long as you keep your heart rate up, you will lose weight. It is not necessary to do intervals. I go for an hour a day and keep the resistance set to the same level, unless I get to far above/below the heart rate zone that I'm trying to remain within. Your body will not stop benefitting from a fixed resistance.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:16 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,609,960 times
I swear by the elliptical. It helped me lose almost 70 lbs from October 2011-July 2012, and has helped me maintain that weight loss ever since. These days I use it 4-5 days a week. I normally use a hill program 3x a week (or HIIT), then a static level prgram 2x a week. My total time is 230-250 minutes a week. No matter which program I use, I keep it pretty intense--my heart rate usually averages 150 or more bpm. When done, I am drenched and gassed.

The secret to success with the elliptical is to crank up the intensity. Most people don't. They spend an hour on it, do not even break a sweat, then either pat themselves on the back for their 'workout', or complain that the elliptical is too 'easy'. Well, yeah on level 3 I imagine so.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:21 PM

467 posts, read 664,945 times
Cardio is bad, it lowers metabolism.
Mitochondria and mortality

Old 02-19-2019, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 9,303 times
I lost 3 stone in 3 months just working on elliptical machine 30 minutes a day/ 5 days a week and I was combining with lifting 20 kg weights 100 times with 10 reps each. I lost all my belly fat and people are not recognise me. I know it may sound easy but also you need to make sure you are not eating more than 2000 calories a day and also eat more foods with proteins than carbohydrate. If you try this you will no regret.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness