Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 09:13 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,262,482 times

Advertisements

I’m in trouble! I tried meal prepping and my guess is that I made it too complicated, got frustrated and quit. Do you meal prep 2 or 3 times a week? If you prep on Sunday what are you eating Wednesday? What’s a meal prepped breakfast? Are you eating the same things every week?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 09:40 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,515,458 times
Go to YouTube. There are a ton of meal prep videos for all sorts of needs. But keep it as simple as you need.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:14 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va83 View Post
I’m in trouble! I tried meal prepping and my guess is that I made it too complicated, got frustrated and quit. Do you meal prep 2 or 3 times a week? If you prep on Sunday what are you eating Wednesday? What’s a meal prepped breakfast? Are you eating the same things every week?
You're making it too complicated. Meal prepping for breakfast might include making a big batch of steel-cut oats or other whole grain and portioning it, so it can be reheated on busy weekday mornings. It could also include washing and cutting up fruit (for smoothies or to add to oats) or veg (to make a quick omelet). Additionally, I think hard-boiling a dozen eggs or so and storing them in the fridge is a convenient way to prep for breakfast. Something a bit more involved might include making breakfast burritos or breakfast sandwiches. My son loves breakfast burritos, which I make ten at a time and freeze. The burritos can be placed in the fridge to thaw overnight and then heated in a cast iron skillet with a tiny bit of oil in the morning, which crisps up the tortilla. Takes just a few minutes.

Lunch prep for me is often a big pot of stew, which can be made on Sunday, portioned, and reheated each workday. Served with a small green salad or a sandwich, it's quick and easy. Our go-to is vegetarian three-bean chili, which can be served on its own, bulked up with a bit of elbow macaroni and cheese for chili mac, or poured over a baked sweet potato (my personal favorite). Sweet potatoes can be made ahead of time, too, and just stored in the fridge. A short spin in a microwave or electric pressure cooker will warm them up.

Grain bowls are another lunch idea, and they come together easily if all the components are prepared ahead of time. Cook a pot of grains (farro, quinoa, rice) and store it. Make a pot of beans and/or poach some chicken and shred it. Make some dressing (I love tahini lemon dressing.) Chop up some veggies (radishes, cabbage, beets, carrots, broccoli, peppers, etc.). Keep everything in the fridge. In the morning before work, toss everything in a container with the dressing separate, and you'll have a nice lunch ready for you. You might also want to check out mason jar salads. Google it. Lots of great ideas out there.

Last edited by randomparent; 09-12-2018 at 11:22 AM..

Old 09-12-2018, 12:41 PM

2,741 posts, read 1,342,690 times
I buy one of those rotisserie chickens at the grocery store. I take the meat off of it and portion it out. I add some cooked veggies (you can buy steamable veggies). Put it all in containers and put them in the freezer.

I also do a similar prep with ground turkey - add some seasoning and veggies - and portion it out into containers.

The only breakfast prepping I've done is oatmeal and hard boiled eggs.

Old 09-12-2018, 02:48 PM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Something that's easy to prep for breakfast is to make mini frittatas in a muffin tin and freeze them.

Old 09-12-2018, 02:58 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,017,680 times
I don't meal prep (other than keeping hard boiled aggs on hand), I simply stick with easy meals -- sandwiches, cheese + crackers, bacon and eggs, frozen pizza, quesadillas, cereal.

Nothing super unhealthy, all of it simple.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:27 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
What's meal prep, lol. All I've ever done is put cereal bowls and cups out the night before. No time to cook if you have to go to work. Maybe get the coffee maker set up.

For dinner I might peel and chop some carrots or take some frozen vegetables out of the freezer or wash and chop some fresh broccoli and put it into a steamer to finish later. Make a salad and put it into a bowl to go into the fridge. Get some chicken breasts marinating. Might form hamburgers and put them onto a platter or make a meatloaf to bake that night. Whatever I can do fast when half awake and stick into the fridge for the rest of the day.

I don't cook fancy! (Weekends I might thaw out some blueberries for blueberry pancakes or get out the ingredients for eggs benedict.)

Old 09-12-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
What's meal prep, lol. All I've ever done is put cereal bowls and cups out the night before. No time to cook if you have to go to work. Maybe get the coffee maker set up.

For dinner I might peel and chop some carrots or take some frozen vegetables out of the freezer or wash and chop some fresh broccoli and put it into a steamer to finish later. Make a salad and put it into a bowl to go into the fridge. Get some chicken breasts marinating. Might form hamburgers and put them onto a platter or make a meatloaf to bake that night. Whatever I can do fast when half awake and stick into the fridge for the rest of the day.

I don't cook fancy! (Weekends I might thaw out some blueberries for blueberry pancakes or get out the ingredients for eggs benedict.)
Meal prepping isn't about being fancy. It's about controlling and managing your food intake.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:44 PM

19,054 posts, read 27,620,833 times
Eat simple basic foods and you do not need to prep much or any. They also digest much easier and faster. You should be real guru to know what can be mixed with what.
Also, cooking ingredients basically ruins nutrients in them.

I can share "lazy" - but smart - way of making your grains. Personally, I really like Winco 5 grain mix. I add a bit of quinoa to it, for fluff.
Say, you take 2 liter pot with a lid. Pour some good oil at the bottom of it. Fill half way with grain. Pour more oil on grain top. Boil 1 liter of water. Set pot in the middle of trifolded warm blanket. Pour hot water into pot, till it reaches it's top. Cover with lid, wrap into blanket completely, leave overnight.
You will have EXCELLENT grain, soft, fluffy and with all nutrients preserved - at literally no effort to make it.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Eat simple basic foods and you do not need to prep much or any. They also digest much easier and faster. You should be real guru to know what can be mixed with what.
Also, cooking ingredients basically ruins nutrients in them.

I can share "lazy" - but smart - way of making your grains. Personally, I really like Winco 5 grain mix. I add a bit of quinoa to it, for fluff.
Say, you take 2 liter pot with a lid. Pour some good oil at the bottom of it. Fill half way with grain. Pour more oil on grain top. Boil 1 liter of water. Set pot in the middle of trifolded warm blanket. Pour hot water into pot, till it reaches it's top. Cover with lid, wrap into blanket completely, leave overnight.
You will have EXCELLENT grain, soft, fluffy and with all nutrients preserved - at literally no effort to make it.
Simple meals or not, some people need to meal prep. They have to control calories and macro nutrients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness