Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 03:26 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,223,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Calories Burned
On average, 480 calories are burned per hour when performing plyometric exercises. To accurately calculate your calories burned, take into consideration your BMI, intensity and heart rate.

Read more: How Many Calories Are Burned In One Hour Of P90x Plyometrics? | LIVESTRONG.COM

It's a looooong way from an average of 480 to 1000. No?
Ok, well I guess my heart rate monitor, my husband's and most of the people on the P90X boards have faulty readings. Thanks so much or setting me straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Well the scale doesn't lie. He's either burning less or eating more than he's letting on. I'm sure you can do P90X half-assed like anything else. There's a natural tendency to think because an exercise routine is intense it's burning a bunch of calories, but that's not really the case. That's why it's usually more effective to control your diet rather than up your exercise if you want to lose weight.
Quote:
According to the Mayo Clinic I'm burning about 300 per hour doing brisk walking. That's not that great a difference. I'll walk, skip a glass of milk and drink water and have the same net calorie effect as a P90X milk drinker.
Lol, yeah P90X Plyo and walking are similar.
Seriously - give it a try, just once, with a hear rate monitor on and then let me know what you think.

Anyway I'm done with this - I'm not sure how I can get my point across when a bunch of people who have never tried it are saying P90X Plyo burns under 500 calories and is similar to an hour of walking. There's really nothing to say after that.

OP if you want to cut out more calories and walk to exercise instead, then I wish you lots of luck. You're gonna need it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 05:10 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,078,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Where on earth did you get this from? Have you tried doing Plyometrics recently?
Those numbers are estimates based on objective research, not pulled from P90X infomercials or fairy tales told by fitness newbies.

Oh and just FYI, the official P90X estimate is about 600 calories IIRC. That is a very optimistic, though not completely unattainable number and still about 50% of the high end of your scale.

Quote:
Have you ever done a P90X workout? Or are you just making stuff up as you go along?
I've never needed a P90X workout. I acquired basic fitness knowledge years ago and learned how to sculpt my own workouts to fit my needs. That is not to say that P90X is a bad workout, but it's marketed to people who have neither the time or desire to obtain the knowledge and can instead simply follow the path laid out in front of them.

Quote:
Ok, well I guess my heart rate monitor, my husband's and most of the people on the P90X boards have faulty readings. Thanks so much or setting me straight.
Not faulty, just highly inaccurate and based off one very small part of the equation, just like those monitors that claim to tell your BF% just by holding onto their handles. Both are only useful for a baseline comparison and a completely invalid reference point for anything beyond that.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:21 PM

7,184 posts, read 9,240,253 times
Wouldn't the amount of calories burned during p90x vary according to your indivicual workout and weight? I thought the point of p90x was doing something different constantly. I've never done p90x.

To Hobokenkitchen: I would think the heart rate monitor would be the best way of measuring calories burned. Somewhere I read VO2(?) was the standard and most people just use heart rate to estimate it. Maybe I'm wrong.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Those numbers are estimates based on objective research, not pulled from P90X infomercials or fairy tales told by fitness newbies.

Lol, ok - you who have never done the workout and yet consider yourself the expert in this person's chosen fitness program, win. Well done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
Wouldn't the amount of calories burned during p90x vary according to your indivicual workout and weight? I thought the point of p90x was doing something different constantly. I've never done p90x.

To Hobokenkitchen: I would think the heart rate monitor would be the best way of measuring calories burned. Somewhere I read VO2(?) was the standard and most people just use heart rate to estimate it. Maybe I'm wrong.
Yes, and yes. I estimated a bit higher for him because he's a little heavier and a man - that's why I said 700 t0 1100 because it varies. I burn about 590 - 650 cals doing Plyo.

When DH and I do the longest and toughest Insanity workout (1 hr Insanity followed by the fitness test) I burned abut 900 cals and he burned about 1200 doing the exact same work out.

No doubt the above poster will estimate that I'm wrong again and in fact only burned 85 cals.

Oh and I didn't lose 35lbs doing it, becaue you can't trust scales. They are inaccurate. In fact I probably GAINED weight.

Last edited by Hobokenkitchen; 07-20-2011 at 07:48 PM..

Old 07-20-2011, 08:03 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,265,891 times
Quote:
OP if you want to cut out more calories and walk to exercise instead, then I wish you lots of luck. You're gonna need it!
Why? It's working great. Will be happy to compare results anytime, even months from now.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:14 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,078,885 times
Quote:
Lol, ok - you who have never done the workout and yet consider yourself the expert in this person's chosen fitness program, win. Well done.
Do you even know what you're debating now?

- First off, what does my personal experience have to do with providing a reasonably accurate estimate of how many calories you burn on P90X?

- In case this is new to you, determining calorie loss is NOT a simple thing that can be figured out by wearing a heart monitor. This is ESPECIALLY true anytime weight or resistance training is taken into account as you could only be working a couple muscle groups yet your precious little heart rumor doesn't know the difference.

- I wouldn't call myself an expert on P90X, but despite what the fanboys might believe, this isn't exactly new, ground breaking stuff. Anyone who follows fitness (like me) has seen this material before. I hate to break it to you but P90X wasn't discovered in the vaults of Area 51 or miracled down to us from the Infomercial Gods.

I do know one thing though. The principle behind P90X is something called the "science of muscle confusion" which is does not exist, at all.

Keep that in mind.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Why? It's working great. Will be happy to compare results anytime, even months from now.
That would, indeed, be interesting. I am not saying that what you are doing isn't good and i'm happy it's working for you - just as P90X works for many people.... including the OP based on his weight loss results. I was just interested in why you would think your method was better than his?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Do you even know what you're debating

I'm not debating with you at all. I already declared you the winner remember?
I've read enough from you to know exactly how much value I place on your superior opinion and amazing fitness experience. In fact life experience in general. I'm sure you are simply the best and the final word of genius in almost everything you try. Lucky you.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:59 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,265,891 times
Quote:
That would, indeed, be interesting. I am not saying that what you are doing isn't good and i'm happy it's working for you - just as P90X works for many people.... including the OP based on his weight loss results. I was just interested in why you would think your method was better than his?
Because he's the one on here who seems to be having problems and asking for advice. With my method I can lose weight at will, relatively painlessly. Since I'm a pretty average person physically, though older than most on here, I'm pretty sure it would work for just about anyone.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Because he's the one on here who seems to be having problems and asking for advice. With my method I can lose weight at will, relatively painlessly. Since I'm a pretty average person physically, though older than most on here, I'm pretty sure it would work for just about anyone.
I thought he had lost a lot of weight and was hoping to lose a little more to get rid of his belly? If you feel walking (and further cutting his already too low calorie intake) is more likely to do that than the exercise program he has chosen, then I can see why you would have given that advise. Seems unlikely to me though.

Last edited by Hobokenkitchen; 07-21-2011 at 07:13 AM..

Old 07-21-2011, 07:23 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,395,288 times
Quote:
Ok, well I guess my heart rate monitor, my husband's and most of the people on the P90X boards have faulty readings. Thanks so much or setting me straight. ....

Wow, talk about shooting the messenger! I'm not the guy who wrote the article on Livestrong.com.

What is your average heartrate during the hour of P90x plyo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness