Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 11:16 AM

5 posts, read 8,499 times

Advertisements

I have been doing P90X for abut 6 months now. I do not see the results like others who were bigger than me when I started. My major areas are love handles and stomach area. I am a male, 43 years old, 6' 1" 173 lbs. When I started, I was 198 lbs, so it does work. I eat 5 small meals a day as follows:
Breakfast
Protein shake, serving of navy beans, 1/2 cup milk

Morning Snack
Protein shake, frozen veggies (broccoli, green beans...), cantaloupe, 3/4 serving brown rice

Lunch
Chicken breast-no skin or bone, veggies (see above), 1 oz low moisture mozzarella cheese, low carb wrap, 5 raw almonds

Afternoon Snack
Protein shake, apple, veggies

Dinner
Chicken breast, veggies, multigrain bread and peanut butter.

I am eating almost 1800, trying for a ratio of 40/40/20 (carbs/protein/fat), but getting 39.86/39.86/20.28. I use My Daily Plate to help with my calories. I would like to move up to 2200 calories, but being laid off along with my wife, makes that hard to do.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 06:53 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,585,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiren View Post
I have been doing P90X for abut 6 months now. I do not see the results like others who were bigger than me when I started. My major areas are love handles and stomach area. I am a male, 43 years old, 6' 1" 173 lbs. When I started, I was 198 lbs, so it does work. I eat 5 small meals a day as follows:
Breakfast

Morning Snack
Protein shake, frozen veggies (broccoli, green beans...), cantaloupe, 3/4 serving brown rice

Lunch
Chicken breast-no skin or bone, veggies (see above), 1 oz low moisture mozzarella cheese, low carb wrap, 5 raw almonds

Afternoon Snack

Dinner

I am eating almost 1800, trying for a ratio of 40/40/20 (carbs/protein/fat), but getting 39.86/39.86/20.28. I use My Daily Plate to help with my calories. I would like to move up to 2200 calories, but being laid off along with my wife, makes that hard to do.

Thanks!
Wow, a lot of Frankenfood, try to eat a real meal once in a while. And I would really try to eat less carbs and more fat. The amount of protein you are eating is a waste, much of it is being converted to Carbs anyways.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:02 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,388,128 times
Protein shakes are a total waste of time unless you're lifting weights and a scrawny teenage kid. Lose the protein shakes. Two protein shakes a day are about 550 wasted calories. Cut that out and you have an extra pound a week off the scales.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:10 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,011,284 times
The answer here is simple: do Insanity. For what you're looking for, this will do it.
I do both P90X and Insanity, btw.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Wow, a lot of Frankenfood...

What is that? The only thing REALLY processed is the protein shake and peanut butter. My protein shakes are only 130 calories a pop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
...try to eat a real meal once in a while
Can you give me some examples? I can not afford the food in the nutrition guide.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:46 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,585,979 times
Quote:
What is that? The only thing REALLY processed is the protein shake and peanut butter. My protein shakes are only 130 calories a pop.

Can you give me some examples? I can not afford the food in the nutrition guide.

Uh, how many meals are you eating as shakes.......and yes that powder stuff is frankenfood in my book. Have you ever heard of meat, it is really a lot better than powder and cheaper if you buy the stuff on sale. Just get some tupperware and bring your cooked meat with you .....much better nutrition .

Old 07-18-2011, 12:46 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,060,996 times
I'm confused. Are you wanting to gain more weight/muscle or continue losing weight?

Old 07-18-2011, 04:19 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,375,109 times
Losing 25lbs in 6 mos is not seeing results?

I'm with Bosco - what, exactly, are you asking for help with?

Agreed, you don't need to be eating 3x protein shakes per day.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:14 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,710,225 times
Quote:
Breakfast

Morning Snack

Lunch

Afternoon Snack

Dinner

Thanks!
Are those shakes soy based? I would stick to two of those max and maybe replace it with greek yogurt, kefir, nuts or eggs for breakfast.

Don't compare yourself to others with fitness as everyone progresses a little bit differently. The really big people may be going faster just because of the calorie need of being that heavy or they could be so out of shape it takes a bigger burn when they first get started. Since you are at a healthy weight now it may just not come off quickly like the health hazard pounds do.

Have you tried to maintain the weight you are at yet? Maybe your body needs a break from cuts. Upping my calories always has relaxed by body to give up body fat when trying to reduce from a healthy weight.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I'm confused. Are you wanting to gain more weight/muscle or continue losing weight?
Lose the fat around my stomach mostly. If I measure around my belly button it is 35". I have seen pics of people who were bigger than me and in 90 days were CUT! I know everyone is different, but this is where my concern comes from.

As I think about what you all say about the shakes, another question comes to mind. How much protein should I consume at one time? I have read; 1.5 grams of protein per lb. of actual weight, then divide that by the number of meals. Is that close? (as you can tell, nutrition is not my strong point )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness