Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2015, 01:12 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times

Advertisements

As an older female who has been working out for awhile now, I am STILL working on trying to do a pull-up- I currently do modified pullups on my "Total Trainer" machine (pulling a percentage of my weight.0 I am very slowly getting stronger. I do have some back and muscle issues, also I am tall with very long limbs and slim arms and I am not "skinny" on my lower body,so, much harder for me than someone else very petite. Even my muscular husband, until recently could not do pullups, now he can do maybe 10. We have a pull-up bar also in the house, and I hang on it often and try to pull myself up a little - even this seems to help strengthen up some of my weak smaller muscles. I'll get there eventually, I never give up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 08:57 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
Took me a while to be able to do any pull-ups. They are hard to do, period. I just did 5 wide pull-ups, and that's about it for that set. Age, weight - all factors too. I'm 55 but weigh in around 160 at 5'10.5" so not pulling up tons of weight.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:38 PM

2,432 posts, read 2,691,622 times
I exercise and try to stay as fit as possible but I cannot do pull ups. I always hated those in gym class. My upper body strength needs improved as I focus more on abs and legs.

Old 05-29-2015, 05:45 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
^ The Marine Corps is in the process of changing their fitness requirements for women and will be requiring they do pullups instead of the flex arm hang. The standard is 8 pullups for a perfect score. I know a few who can do it. I even know a couple who could max out the 20 required for males. But I know a lot will struggle as they adjust to this new standard.

The most I've done in one shot is 34. Or maybe it was 38. It was over 30 either way.

Old 06-06-2015, 06:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,351 times
I'm 13 Yo girl, and can do 10 pullups in a row, but I am a tumbler and cheerleader, and do plenty of strength exercises daily. But, responding to LaoTzuMindFu comment, THATS NOT GENERAL FITNESS, I personally can do all of those things. If you can, great for you, but please don't say that "general fitness"...because its NOT!

Old 06-07-2015, 03:27 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
This guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z59Rms-c9kA

has said he can only do 6 or 7 unassisted pull-ups. So they are definately hard for big people, even when they are all muscle. I'm happy to be able to do 3 now at 230 pounds, up from zero a couple years ago.

Old 06-08-2015, 05:04 PM

7,182 posts, read 9,232,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty.Burg View Post
I'm 13 Yo girl, and can do 10 pullups in a row, but I am a tumbler and cheerleader, and do plenty of strength exercises daily. But, responding to LaoTzuMindFu comment, THATS NOT GENERAL FITNESS, I personally can do all of those things. If you can, great for you, but please don't say that "general fitness"...because its NOT!
Lao hasn't been around for years. He had strong opinions and was never shy about voicing them.

It's great you can do 10 pullups. I don't know many people of any age that can.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:41 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
Based on what I see at the Gold Gym in Grand Junction Colorado where I do my workouts, many of the BIG muscle people are not really very strong on a pound for pound basis ( and that is not limited to pull-ups ). A slim, 66 yr old, muscular 170 pounder like me is one of the strongest people in my gym on a pound per pound basis. Makes no sense to carry all that extra weight and put extra stress on your organs.....especially if you are not even as strong as a skinny, 170 pound, 66 yr old man who hasn't eaten meat in more than 40 years. Being B-I-G for the sake of being BIG makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Nada! Zilch!

Old 06-09-2015, 07:02 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Based on what I see at the Gold Gym in Grand Junction Colorado where I do my workouts, many of the BIG muscle people are not really very strong on a pound for pound basis ( and that is not limited to pull-ups ). A slim, 66 yr old, muscular 170 pounder like me is one of the strongest people in my gym on a pound per pound basis. Makes no sense to carry all that extra weight and put extra stress on your organs.....especially if you are not even as strong as a skinny, 170 pound, 66 yr old man who hasn't eaten meat in more than 40 years. Being B-I-G for the sake of being BIG makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Nada! Zilch!
I am a woman and I totally agree with you. I don't see the point of men OR women just trying to build big muscles for the sake of it. I try to do things to get and remain functionally strong. That is so much more important than huge muscles. Plus, people with big muscles are usually not very flexible and have a hard time dancing or doing other like activities.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:27 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,984,503 times
being able to move your own body weight is such a great skill to have I have made sure to help train my children to do pull-ups from young ages. They haven't lost this ability as they've grown and I am proud. I see people all the time that cannot do a single pull-up and would guess that perhaps 10% of men can do one or more and perhaps 2% of women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness