Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2013, 01:41 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times

Advertisements

IMO, more importantly than having the capacity to perform X number of reps in one set, is having the strength/fitness to do a significant number of pullups during multiple sets with only a short rest between sets. Last summer at age 63, when I was really working the pullup thing, I worked up to doing 20 sets of 6 reps each ( all in good form ) with a 30 second rest between sets. Since I can do at least 15 reps all out in one set, doing only 6 reps is pretty easy in the beginning, but around the 12th set it starts to become quite challenging. Most times when I do this routine, my reps usually drop down to 5 or even down to 4 on the last few sets. But, on several occasions, I have been able to do 6 reps for each of the 20 sets in the routine. This is not my normal pullup routine. Just an every now and then focus for a few workouts, and then I scale back to a far less intense routine.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 02-14-2013 at 01:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 02:20 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,024,950 times
I don't really buy the "Well you're skinny so of course you can do pullups, but I'm big so it's a lot harder for me" argument. It mostly comes down to bodyfat, not big or small. The pullup is basically a test of how much muscle (weight that helps you achieve the lift) you have vs. how much fat (dead weight that holds you back) you have.

If we take 2 guys, both weighing 200 pounds at 5'11", but 1 guy has 12% bodyfat and the other has 18% bodyfat, I'd venture to say the 12% guy could do more pullups and is less hindered by his weight.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:24 PM

subPrimeTime: I don't really buy the "Well you're skinny so of course you can do pullups, but I'm big so it's a lot harder for me" argument.

Yeah I always thought that argument was a crapout, usually spouted by big guys who really ain't that strong! But it proves that big is not necessarily strong...just big. The most accurate test of strength is how many reps of any given exercise a person can do with a weight that is equal to bodyweight. Pullups is a perfect test in that regard.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:00 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
WestCobb wrote: I'm surprised most people are estimating such a low percentage for men. I can do 20 pull ups, and I think most of the guys I know can do at least 10. I guess I'm military though, so I'm not interacting with the general population.

Just curious, are you doing FULL movements ( all the way and all the way down ), without the herky-jerky kipping actions?
I try to do them to Marine standard (all the way down, all the way up -- smooth, continuous motion), but my form usually detiorates after 15 or so. I have never been graded on pull ups for a physical fitness test (I'm Army), but I assume my last few are good enough to be counted. For the Army test, you're last few push ups usually aren't as pretty as your first ones, but most graders will count them.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
I don't really buy the "Well you're skinny so of course you can do pullups, but I'm big so it's a lot harder for me" argument. It mostly comes down to bodyfat, not big or small. The pullup is basically a test of how much muscle (weight that helps you achieve the lift) you have vs. how much fat (dead weight that holds you back) you have.

If we take 2 guys, both weighing 200 pounds at 5'11", but 1 guy has 12% bodyfat and the other has 18% bodyfat, I'd venture to say the 12% guy could do more pullups and is less hindered by his weight.
I agree. Massive guys who are still trim (small waists) can knock these out just as well as lean guys with some muscle on their frame. I've never really seen a skinny guy with minimum muscle attempt pull ups, but I bet they'd struggle just as much as the barrel chested chunks do.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:36 AM

WestCobb wrote: I try to do them to Marine standard (all the way down, all the way up -- smooth, continuous motion)

Then you are doing real pull-ups IMO! I see some guys doing only the mid-range portion of the movement, not all the way up and not all the way down. I think that has a place in training, because it's a way to maintain constant muscle contraction, but it's not really a pull up. Personally, I'm not a fan of partial movements. That type of training tends to shorten the muscle. The people who train constantly with partials have a stiff look about them. Their muscles look tense even when they are just standing around. Not a good look to my eye anyway.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:30 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,171,657 times
Have you ever seen a barrel chested or mussel bound rock climber?
they are few and far in between
climbers are lean.
And I'll bet they can do a lot more pull ups than a muscular person can.

I climb with a skinny lean guy. he can do pullups like a monkey.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Have you ever seen a barrel chested or mussel bound rock climber?
they are few and far in between
climbers are lean.
And I'll bet they can do a lot more pull ups than a muscular person can.

I climb with a skinny lean guy. he can do pullups like a monkey.
Not every soldier or Marine conforms ot the lean, muscular form, but that's the ideal combat shape too... you need to be able to endure and hoist your weight smoothly and quickly. I guess there's a place for guys strong man types too, but how pratical is it to be able to throw a log vs. scale a fence in the real world?

Old 02-15-2013, 10:12 PM

5,128 posts, read 9,843,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Just curious, are you doing FULL movements ( all the way and all the way down ), without the herky-jerky kipping actions?
Yes

Old 02-19-2013, 01:40 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
I like to work my back and arms with various sorts of pull-ups...wide-grip/palms out, narrow grip/palms facing each other, etc. I hate lat pull-downs.

I see women using the assisted pull-up machine quite a bit. I'm to the point now where I can use full body weight and do several sets of 10. I may get crazy and start using one of those belts that let you add barbell plates if it starts to get too easy. Love the pull-ups!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness