Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 12:19 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
that isnt going to happen with abot 95% of them. once fat, always fat.
That's BS. It's just way harder to lose after 35. And it takes total dedication. You'd be blown away by the results (former fatties to skinnies) I'm seeing at my gym.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 12:33 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,844,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
See, I think that convincing women to lift heavy is basically a lost cause, most are dead set against it. What IS a worthy cause though, is getting women to master these bodyweight exercises because they won't result in her getting "too big" because as you increase reps of push-ups/pull-ups/dips/squats/box jumps (which are more about height than reps), your body weight/fat/composition also adjusts over time.
I disagree. I think it really depends on the setting. I get a lot of support & encouragement from my friends with my progress, but none of them are willing to join me. They keep complaining about being fat, but they keep eating & eating, and refuse to exercise. I keep pushing them to come with me. I've even offered to come over & train them at home, just like when I started last Nov, but so far no takers.

It sounds like most of us are seeing the same thing in the corporate gyms....more women on cardio machines, or in classes with light (worthless) weights.

It is only once I moved into an athletic training center, with an owner/trainers that have a completely different outlook. That's when I started seeing women training seriously. I'm just 2 weeks into stage 2 of the adult training schedule, and I find even fewer women willing to go into the advanced stage. It's hard damn work! I also am finding that I lift heavier than some of the others who have been there for a long time. One lady feels the pressure to compete with me, so she says. I'm not there to compete with anyone but myself. So, I can do 50 lb on the dumbbell flat bench press, and someone else can do 45 lb. It's not that much of a difference, and it took many weeks to finally do it tonight. I was able to increase my squat by 30 lbs this week, but again, due to my pre-existing conditions (2 back surgeries), it took a long time to get here. But I'm happy. And I'm fine with lifting heavier weights. Perhaps I will inspire others to follow in my footsteps. I know a lot people (slackers trying to just get by & newbies) have increased their weights after seeing what I was doing. In the meantime, I'm taking care of me!

Old 09-26-2012, 06:46 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlz View Post
That's BS. It's just way harder to lose after 35. And it takes total dedication. You'd be blown away by the results (former fatties to skinnies) I'm seeing at my gym.
id love to see. ive been going to the same gym now for 8 years and usually when i see someone who was fat get skinny, they are fat again within a year. usually there is a period you dont see them, then they show up one day fat again. i remember one guy got sooooo loud when he lost weight, he was so annoying. i was happy when he put the weight back on and got quiet again. most fat people in my gym have been fat for the past 8 years with no change. they just go to the gym to kid themselves.

im not saying nobody stays thin, but im pretty sure statistics will say that the % that get fat again are 90+%. it has nothing to do with it being physically harder, but once you have mentally given in to being fat your mental normal is eating like a pig. so even when they are eating healthy, they always want to go piggy again.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:53 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,213,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Do you see more super fit men or super fit women in the gym, or is it equal? Just curious.

You can't judge a full level of fitness by just looking at someone. There are many factors. In terms of muscle definition and overall looks, yes there are more super fit men and women @ the gym.

Super fit men and women are motivated though and can get their workouts @ more places than just the gym. You may not even see them there, but they are always finding ways to workout.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:04 AM

591 posts, read 664,069 times
Quote:
that isnt going to happen with abot 95% of them. once fat, always fat.

Boy are you off....its your attitude that gets you to work out 5 times a week, and eating healthier.
Right now you need an attitude check on ONCE FAT , ALWAYS FAT. HOW ABOUT ONCE RUDE ALWAYS
SET IN YOUR WAYS.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybee View Post
Boy are you off....its your attitude that gets you to work out 5 times a week, and eating healthier.
Right now you need an attitude check on ONCE FAT , ALWAYS FAT. HOW ABOUT ONCE RUDE ALWAYS
SET IN YOUR WAYS.[/b]
how am i way off? ive seen it in person and i bet statistics will prove that im right. the vast majority of fatties that lose weight, will gain it back. it usually doesnt take very long either.

just because you dont like what im saying, doesnt make me wrong. everyone knows that im right but we like to pretend its not true.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:12 PM

344 posts, read 396,158 times
Quote:
how am i way off? ive seen it in person and i bet statistics will prove that im right. the vast majority of fatties that lose weight, will gain it back. it usually doesnt take very long either.

just because you dont like what im saying, doesnt make me wrong. everyone knows that im right but we like to pretend its not true.
I think you are both sort of right. People can lose weight and keep it off if they change their approach to eating and probably exercise too, for the rest of their lives. The trouble is; few people can do that. There are people who get the incentive to lose weigh for a reunion or something, but when the reunion is over, the incentive is gone, and the old habits come right back, and so does the weight.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:29 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,030,437 times
I see more super fit men.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:26 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,025,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieGal View Post
I think you are both sort of right. People can lose weight and keep it off if they change their approach to eating and probably exercise too, for the rest of their lives. The trouble is; few people can do that.
The real problem is that people focus on the numbers on a scale to determine whether they're healthy or have reached a goal. There's way more to the story than how many pounds you weigh.

WEIGHT can consist of a few different things, there's bodyfat, muscle, bone density. Just cause a person (man or woman) loses 20 pounds, they shouldn't be instantly patted on the back if most of that came from muscle & bone density (likely due to calorie restrictions & light cardio workouts).

So the question that gets asked on this forum (and all over fitness forums) shouldn't be "How do I lose weight?", but "How do I lose bodyfat?"

Old 10-05-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
The real problem is that people focus on the numbers on a scale to determine whether they're healthy or have reached a goal. There's way more to the story than how many pounds you weigh.

WEIGHT can consist of a few different things, there's bodyfat, muscle, bone density. Just cause a person (man or woman) loses 20 pounds, they shouldn't be instantly patted on the back if most of that came from muscle & bone density (likely due to calorie restrictions & light cardio workouts).

So the question that gets asked on this forum (and all over fitness forums) shouldn't be "How do I lose weight?", but "How do I lose bodyfat?"
thats not really the right question for the average person. the average person isnt committed enough to focus on developing muscle and reducing bodyfat. most people just need to drop weight so they dont look like disgusting fatbodies anymore. so for most people, its fine to focus on losing weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness