Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 11:08 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times

Advertisements

For the last few months, I've been working to add some muscle and the post-workout shake has made a huge difference. But now it's time to start cutting down again and I'm wondering whether I should continue having the post-workout shake or just go back to eating all natural foods. I read conflicting advice on this issue. Some say that if you're not trying to gain muscle, just lose fat, then you shouldn't bother having the post-workout shake. Others say that after any weight training session, even one that's not geared towards muscle gain, a post-workout shake is a must to prevent muscle loss. For the experienced lifters here, what's your recommendation and can you give me clear scientific explanations? Obviously, I don't want to lose the muscle that I just worked to put on. But at the same time, I don't want to be taking in extra calories unnecessarily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 12:59 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
For the last few months, I've been working to add some muscle and the post-workout shake has made a huge difference. But now it's time to start cutting down again and I'm wondering whether I should continue having the post-workout shake or just go back to eating all natural foods. I read conflicting advice on this issue. Some say that if you're not trying to gain muscle, just lose fat, then you shouldn't bother having the post-workout shake. Others say that after any weight training session, even one that's not geared towards muscle gain, a post-workout shake is a must to prevent muscle loss. For the experienced lifters here, what's your recommendation and can you give me clear scientific explanations? Obviously, I don't want to lose the muscle that I just worked to put on. But at the same time, I don't want to be taking in extra calories unnecessarily.
Yes, you should absolutely continue with the post workout shake, but use a whey protein shake that is low in carbs. EAS 100% Whey Protein is a good product. I also take 5 grams of creatine pre and post workout.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Yes, you should absolutely continue with the post workout shake, but use a whey protein shake that is low in carbs. EAS 100% Whey Protein is a good product. I also take 5 grams of creatine pre and post workout.
I was looking for the science behind any answer to this question. When bulking, my post-workout shake is a combination of whey and a simple sugar in order to promote rapid absorption of amino acids into muscle tissue as well as replenishment of glycogen stores. But when the goal is fat loss, would muscle still deteriorate after a weight training session without a post-workout shake? And if so, shouldn't the shake still continue to have a simple sugar in order to promote rapid absorption of amino acids? If you're working on fat loss, then your weight training parameters (sets, reps, etc.) will be different than if you were trying to build muscle. Doesn't that mean you haven't blasted your muscles as hard and therefore, the need for immediate amino acids is reduced? I'm not saying to wait a few hours before eating. But suppose you workout, go shower, and then have a high-protein dinner. That's less than an hour after your workout and the proteins you're consuming take longer to absorb. But when dieting for fat loss, wouldn't you want to favor slow-absorbing foods? Or are you supposed to have rapidly absorbing protein right after weight training, no matter what the parameters of that training? I'm just looking for a good scientific explanation for why you should or shouldn't. I understand why it's needed for people gaining muscle, but why for people trying to lose fat and just maintain muscle?

Old 06-30-2009, 01:29 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I was looking for the science behind any answer to this question.
The science is very simple. You don't want to lose the muscle you've worked to gain, so keep your protein intake high especially after a workout. If you're worried about calories, just stick to a basic 100% whey protein shake. That alone will be enough to keep your body out of a catabolic state.

Quote:
When bulking, my post-workout shake is a combination of whey and a simple sugar in order to promote rapid absorption of amino acids into muscle tissue as well as replenishment of glycogen stores.
I just use the whey protein and it works fine.

Quote:
But when the goal is fat loss, would muscle still deteriorate after a weight training session without a post-workout shake?
Often times the answer is yes.

Quote:
And if so, shouldn't the shake still continue to have a simple sugar in order to promote rapid absorption of amino acids?
Mine contains no sugar (outside of what little may be in the product itself) since I can't have that on my diet, and it's worked just fine for me.

Quote:
If you're working on fat loss, then your weight training parameters (sets, reps, etc.) will be different than if you were trying to build muscle. Doesn't that mean you haven't blasted your muscles as hard and therefore, the need for immediate amino acids is reduced?
No. Even when in a weight loss phase, you should still be pushing your muscles to the max, it's just done in more reps and with less weight.

Quote:
Or are you supposed to have rapidly absorbing protein right after weight training, no matter what the parameters of that training? I'm just looking for a good scientific explanation for why you should or shouldn't. I understand why it's needed for people gaining muscle, but why for people trying to lose fat and just maintain muscle?
Ideally you'll want to eat something high in protein around 1 hour before your workout, and then again immediately following your workout. That will ensure your protein intake is high enough to prevent the catabolic state. This really shouldn't change no matter what stage you are in.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:43 PM

OK, assuming that no matter what your weight training parameters are, after your workout your muscles are entering a catabolic state and you need an immediate infusion of protein to reverse that. But if that's true, wouldn't you also want to include a simple sugar? If your postworkout shake is lacking a simple sugar, then how do you trigger the insulin spike and if you don't have the spike, won't that slow the rate at which the protein is absorbed?

Old 06-30-2009, 03:04 PM

I found one post which I think does a good job explaining why NOT to have a post-workout shake if your goal is fat loss.

If your goal is to gain weight, these shakes are a great way to consume a lot of “clean” calories at a time when your body is least likely to store these calories as fat.

Following a tough workout, your muscles energy stores will be depleted. Depleted muscles are hungry for replenishment and therefore soak up the majority of calories ingested at this time. This makes less calories available to be directed towards body fat stores.

But remember what our goal is: Losing body fat! Do you believe that it’s a good practice to slam down a sugary beverage after each workout when your goal is maximal fat loss? How can all of that sugar better your fat burning results? The reality is that it does not. In my experience, these shakes can slow the rate of fat loss rather significantly.

I’ve read all of the research and unfortunately, the research has not been performed on subjects whose primary goal is fat loss. Initially, I experimented with these post workout shakes on myself and my fat loss clients. Their results slowed significantly when clients used these shakes. I’ve got mounds of real world results to prove my assertion that in order to maximize fat burning; you need to lose those high-carb post workout shakes!
So now what do we consume after a workout? The answer is surprisingly simple. Just eat a meal! Don’t worry about the perfect blend of whey protein, the proper glycemic index, etc. This is nonsense. For fat loss, eat a regular meal. This meal should be structured like any one of your daily meals. I do recommend that you eat this meal within one hour after your workout.

If you can refute this, let me know. I'm not necessarily taking his side, just looking for a convincing case for either side of this debate.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:29 PM

15 posts, read 34,662 times
That research is still talking about a post workout shake containing a good amount of simple sugars. The advice that Bosco55David is giving you is good advice. You want a post workout shake that will not trigger the rapid insulin response but will still halt the catabolic state that your muscle are going into. So, a mix of whey protein and casein is a good idea for a post workout shake. The whey protein will be digested fast enough to halt the catabolism, without causing the insulin spike, and the casein will be digested slow enough that it will supply your muscle with a steady stream of amino acids for the next couple of hours.

Remember, for optimal fat loss you have to keep your metabolism going. So, if you're not eating your 5-6 meals a day focus on that first and you may not even need a post workout shake if the meals are timed correctly.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:37 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
What liquid ( cow milk, goat millk, fruit juice, soy milk, almond milk, hemp milk, or just purified water ) do you mix the whey protein into, and why do you use that liquid specifically?

Old 06-30-2009, 06:36 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
What liquid ( cow milk, goat millk, fruit juice, soy milk, almond milk, hemp milk, or just purified water ) do you mix the whey protein into, and why do you use that liquid specifically?
I use only whole milk (the milk with the red cap/carton) because its the only milk I like. The other stuff just seems like 1/4 milk and 3/4 water. I never use anything soy. I stay completely away from that stuff.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:58 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
go with iso whey it is low in fat and catbs and still gives you the protein you need
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness