Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 03:51 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearer_skies_13 View Post
Yes, it's for the Army PT test.
OK. Do at least 100 day, doing as many as you can each time. At least one day a week don't do any to allow your muscles to grow and adapt. Push-ups aren't hard on your body and the best way to increase the number is to do a lot every day. But go to max reps every time. Don't bother with the weighted vest or inclines, your goal is to increase the number only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 08:10 PM

650 posts, read 1,811,943 times
Try mixing in some diamond pushups. Those will increase your arm strength and help you to do more regular pushups.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:29 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subPrimeTime View Post
Or, if you're at the gym, just grab 2 dumbells of any weight (not circular, but hexagonal which most gyms have) and do pushups with your hands gripping the dumbells.

It's easier on the wrists for sure, but I just can't help but feel like I'm cheating when doing it this way.
Never thought of that, but I can see that it would work. The 'perfect push up' device is still better because it rotates as you go up and down. which means that the wrist and tendons are saved from both bending and twisting.

A few years ago I decided to do 1000 push ups in a day. I gradually worked up to it. My method was to do 50 every 6 minutes, which works out to 10 sets of 50 in an hour. I did this workout once every 3 days. One day I did the 1000 in 2 hours. My pecs were just like boobs; in fact a girlfriend told me that, and once when I went to a strip club, one of the strippers jokingly cupped them as if they were boobs.

But unfortunately I noticed a sickening weakness in my left wrist after doing 1000 pushups. I had badly injured the tendon in my left wrist. It took a long time to heal. I don't think it would have happened had I had the 'perfect push up' device.

Moral of story: don't be as dumb as me--go ahead and 'cheat.'

Old 04-17-2013, 10:22 PM

860 posts, read 2,204,729 times

Basic Training: How to Increase Your Number of Push-Ups by 400% - YouTube

Old 04-17-2013, 10:22 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,902,882 times
one hundred push ups - welcome

The best program for you.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:24 AM

1,280 posts, read 2,442,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Never thought of that, but I can see that it would work. The 'perfect push up' device is still better because it rotates as you go up and down. which means that the wrist and tendons are saved from both bending and twisting.

A few years ago I decided to do 1000 push ups in a day. I gradually worked up to it. My method was to do 50 every 6 minutes, which works out to 10 sets of 50 in an hour. I did this workout once every 3 days. One day I did the 1000 in 2 hours. My pecs were just like boobs; in fact a girlfriend told me that, and once when I went to a strip club, one of the strippers jokingly cupped them as if they were boobs.

But unfortunately I noticed a sickening weakness in my left wrist after doing 1000 pushups. I had badly injured the tendon in my left wrist. It took a long time to heal. I don't think it would have happened had I had the 'perfect push up' device.

Moral of story: don't be as dumb as me--go ahead and 'cheat.'

Love the perfect pushup device, I have the V2. 40 bucks well spent..

Old 04-18-2013, 07:25 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,306,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I don't know. I once asked a coach a similar question about running intervals. I wanted to run 10 half-mile repeats at about 5.5 min/mile pace (11 mph). I asked if I should a)run 10 repeats at the same pace, gradually increasing that pace week by week, or b)run the last (10th) repeat at 11 mph, then, the last two, then three, and so on, till I was running all 10 repeats at my goal of 11 mph. The answer from the coach was that it didn't really matter. I ended up going with the latter approach, only because I found it agreeable to increase speed later in the workout when I was well warmed-up.

As for doing pushups, it's a very good exercise, but I advise getting a device called the 'perfect pushup,' which allows you to do them without bending the wrist so much. Or you can avoid bending your wrists so much by doing them inclined instead of flat on the floor. For example, I used to do push ups w/ my hands on a picnic table and feet on the ground.

A few years ago I really did a number on the tendon in my left wrist by doing too many conventional-style pushups. It took over a year to heal. After that I switched to using the perfect push up or incline method.
Wutitiz..Is there really a difference between the "original" perfect pushup device and the newest version in terms of fluidity, comfort, etc? I'm looking at this for the sake of avoiding wrist injuries that you encoutered. I have the Ab Carver made by the PP creator, so I have no doubt about the durability. Thanks

Old 04-18-2013, 10:05 AM

30 posts, read 167,237 times
I haven't noticed any issues with my wrists so far but that's probably because I don't do as many push ups as ya'll! I'll switch to using barbells or something if that problem pops up so it's good to know there's a way to deal with it. Thanks for all the links and suggestions. I have looked them over and will put them into practice.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:03 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,306,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearer_skies_13 View Post
I haven't noticed any issues with my wrists so far but that's probably because I don't do as many push ups as ya'll! I'll switch to using barbells or something if that problem pops up so it's good to know there's a way to deal with it. Thanks for all the links and suggestions. I have looked them over and will put them into practice.
Good luck!

Old 04-18-2013, 05:40 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,301,058 times
A lot of people talk bad about push ups and bodyweight excercises, but I'm willing to bet every guy on this sub forum would like a body like this guy's.

(No hm)

Hannibal For King - Street Calisthenics - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness