Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 02:59 PM

145 posts, read 358,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha.M View Post
Longest time was 2:40 hours, while training for a half marathon.
Longest distance was 13 miles, half marathon distance.
That was 3 years ago, I could not do that anymore but I am just starting to pick up my running again.

So true!! How do you guys do this on a treadmill?! Running in a treadmill is so boring that you'd have to pay me to do it longer than 10 minutes. I am actually impressed with anyone who can muster the discipline to do any significant running on a treadmill.

For me, one of the rewards of running is actually being outside under the open sky, any time of the day or year. I would not want to trade this for anything.
how do you calculate how many miles you ran if you do it outside? the treadmill is more discipline to me, it makes sure you do what you are supposed to be doing and maintaining the same pace every time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 03:00 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
I ran from the end of my driveway where my vehicle was parked to the back door one day when it was raining, does that count?

Obviously I am not a runner but I do walk the treadmill at 3.5 - 5.5mph several times a week for 20 minutes at a time and I do walk around our property 2 - 3 miles on the days I don't use the treadmill.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:18 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,478,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokconl View Post
how do you calculate how many miles you ran if you do it outside? the treadmill is more discipline to me, it makes sure you do what you are supposed to be doing and maintaining the same pace every time
Once you start running you get a sense of what your pace is. For me I always train by time, 90 minutes is always 90 minutes no matter where you run. So some days 90 minutes is 6 miles and other days it's almost 10 depending on the terrain. Plus there are tons of mapping programs out there, if I'm not sure of the distance I map it out after I run.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:56 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
I've run a couple marathons, and have gone through phases in life where I've logged over 100 miles a week. More recently I've scaled my running back quite a bit. Usually 6-8 miles is as far as I run these days. I can add distance to that with relative ease, but right now don't push harder than I need to. I had surgery on my knee last fall and I don't think it healed up fully. As a result sometimes it hurts like crazy to run. Actually it hurts when I stop. But if I am careful and allow decent recovery time I can still enjoy running and without the pain.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:24 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,428,627 times
5 kilometres......................... and the cops still didn't catch me

J/K

Old 08-06-2013, 09:50 AM

327 posts, read 774,741 times
I've ran one full marathon. I won't run a full again just for fear of getting injured. Even with proper training, form can suffer during a race of that length and injuries can develop, but that is just my opinion.

On a treadmill, I've ran 13.1 while training for the full. It was too hot to run outside, so I set the speed to 6.6 and ran for two hours. It wasn't too bad, I had a fan and a television, but the belt got slick from all the sweat and I really had to concentrate on my stride so that I didn't slip.

The most I'll do now outside is 13-14, but most of my runs are 5 - 8 miles and most of my races are 5k. I am planning on another half marathon next season.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:53 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
Quote:
You think in the opposite. Using a treadmill you're actually running zero miles. It's a simulation of running. Running outside, in the elements and with the varying terrain is running. And you really don't want to maintain the same pace, you should be striving to vary the pace (in most instances).

How does one calculate how long they ran outside? Is that a real question? There is not shortage of tools that measure tons of things, length being a very basic one. How's 'bout a pedometer? Or any number of mapping tools (google maps anyone?), or one of dozens of smartphone apps. After a little while you get pretty darn good at knowing distances just by running, walking, riding them.

Anywhoo, running isn't my primary thing but I do half marathons a couple times a year. I know many who do marathons, and know 2 people personally who do ultramarathons (50 or 100 miles). One of the people I know who do this is a runner as her primary sport. The other is a very strong triathlete - I'm a cyclist as my primary and train with him when he rides. But the ultramarathons draw a lot of people.

It doesn't sound like you've been at this very long.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:29 PM

83 posts, read 149,294 times
Quote:
do your legs or knees hurt after doing this? where do you run, outside or treadmill, concrete, etc..?]
That is always a worry, but I don't get any knee problems when I am careful not increase distances too fast after a period of inactivity. So I start with 3 miles and build up slowly over several weeks. Also I have to avoid running downhill. I lerned both things the hard way when I first started running, going from 0 to 9 miles in about two month (with on my trail). I ended up injuring my knee. I had wrong shoes in the beginning too, which was also a factor. But if I avoid those mistakes I don't think that running on asphalt roads is too much of a danger to my joints. I run outside on dirt trails and aspalt roads about 50/50.

Quote:
I am the same as you, I enjoy to measure my distances and pace and track my progress for motivation, so I never run without a watch :-) I have about seven different routes that I used to run regularly so I can compare my times from week to week. I measured those routes once on google earth, so now I know the distances and can calculate my average pace. That's really all I need to know.

I am not sure if it would be an advantage to me if I was able to monitor my pace and distance and heartrate an so on in real time - it would be interesting, but I would sacrifice listening into my body. Even without knowing my exact pace and heart rate, I can tell whether I am at a pace that I can maintain for 30 minutes, or only for 1 minute. I also know at what time into my run I can expect it to get harder or easier. I can tell from my breath if I am running at the right intensity. And so on... I like to know my body well enough to not need a treadmill, or watch or gadget to tell me if I am running right.

As far as discipline goes.... I don't know because I hardly ever used a treadmill, but I imagine it must be hard to keep going beause you really can get off any time, can't you? On the other hand if you are outside, running arould a lake for example, after a certain point you have no choice but to do the whole distance. It is really like that with most loops, some have shortcuts but most are a certain distance that you have to finish if you want to get home no matter if you get tired or not. So all I have to do is to select the route I want to run, put my shoes on an step out of the door, after that not much willpower needed. On the treadmill I would have to fight the urge to just stop, because I have this option the whole time.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:49 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,209,247 times
7 miles on the treadmill.(50 minutes at a 7:00 mile pace)

4 miles outside

it is more difficult to keep the pace outside

Old 08-07-2013, 07:44 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
Quote:
There are a lot of free apps that calculate it for you.

The longest I've ran non stop was 52 minutes/4.25 miles. I just started running again after having knee surgery earlier this year. Considering last month I couldn't run a mile nonstop I think I'm doing pretty good. I've ran 19.71 miles so far this month. My goal is 100, we shall see.

ETA: I've never ran on a treadmill. I would go nuts looking at the same thing the whole time. It's nice being outside and seeing other runners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness