Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 06:15 PM

7,182 posts, read 9,232,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsWolf View Post
Let me explain: if I had to go somewhere, I would choose NOT to take the bus even though it would stop exactly at my destination. I would instead find some other way to get there that requires me to use my body, such as: walking, running, climbing, swimming, or even jumping. Technology would still benefit me if I choose to use a GPS (Global Positioning Satellite: like a global map) that was built-into my phone as my phone is portable.

This is just one example of how technology and required physical activity are not mutually exclusive or separate. The "required" physical activity becomes "required" once you decide NOT to take the bus and the bus leaves (let us say for this example this is in the middle of a rural country where no one uses a car and the bus is the only way to get to where you want to go without having to physically go to your destination) (or that no one will stop for you and it will be another 8 hours before the next bus comes along) leaving you with no other way to get to your destination other than by using your body.
OK. Got it. I'm too old. No GPS. Maybe the phone has it but I have no idea.

Not sure it matters tho. I could take the bus ride 50 mi from home and jog back. I remember Bruce Dern mentioning doing that when he was younger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 08:51 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,170,705 times
Lemme guess what's going on here. Wolf has recently decided he's going to get in shape, supposedly to join the military. And like all new hobbies, he's jumping into it full steam ahead. He's decided after a couple weeks, maybe couple months, that fitness shall consume his life. So he comes here, and tells everyone how they are doing it wrong, and he's doing it right, and blah blah blah yadda, yadda yadda.

We get it, you're excited, but unless you're competing in triathlons, enough trying to act like you're some guru who knows better.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:33 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsWolf View Post
Let me explain: if I had to go somewhere, I would choose NOT to take the bus even though it would stop exactly at my destination. I would instead find some other way to get there that requires me to use my body, such as: walking, running, climbing, swimming, or even jumping. Technology would still benefit me if I choose to use a GPS (Global Positioning Satellite: like a global map) that was built-into my phone as my phone is portable.

This is just one example of how technology and required physical activity are not mutually exclusive or separate. The "required" physical activity becomes "required" once you decide NOT to take the bus and the bus leaves (let us say for this example this is in the middle of a rural country where no one uses a car and the bus is the only way to get to where you want to go without having to physically go to your destination) (or that no one will stop for you and it will be another 8 hours before the next bus comes along) leaving you with no other way to get to your destination other than by using your body.
Let us not forget though that mental exercise is just as important as physical exercise and map skills will challenge you more than plugging in an address. Unless you have a serious deficit in your sense of direction I wouldn't bother with one as I think the main reason to use it in driving is to be safer by not fooling with a map. But you're not driving. If you get really good you won't even need the map.

Oh and hey, dancing is great exercise and one of the oldest hobbies in the world and so much fun it doesn't feel like exercise.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:17 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
And the point of this thread is ... ?

Old 08-09-2013, 11:52 PM

628 posts, read 1,389,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
If you had read the the first post all the way through you would have the answer to your question.

Also, if you still having trouble: try reading the posts coming after the first post.

@stepka Great suggestions, I'm glad some people actually understand my points and don't just skip over everything I say then proceed to slam me with insults (I guess I must have a giant target on my back, story of my life haha.)

Old 08-10-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
It's Wolf congratulating himself on his awesomeness. He's so different. He's so unique. He's going to spend 2 hours cart wheeling down the street in the name of fitness instead of taking a 20 min bus ride.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:01 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,917,593 times
I'm curious about the details of this plan. So far, the only specific idea I've read in your posts is that you'll walk to some destination instead of taking the bus. Maybe you will deliberately miss the bus, so you have no choice but to walk or swim or whatever.

What else are you planning to do? What do you plan to do for a living? If you do construction work, hire yourself out to the crew of a fishing boat, work on a farm, or perform other physical labor, that's going to get you as close as you can get to living like a wild animal that has to perform strenuous physical activity to live. If you plan to work in an office or indoors in a store or the like, I hope your workplace has a shower room and that you carry a change of clothes while you're hoofing across the land after deliberately missing the bus, because you won't be presentable for a job of that nature if you just walk in and start to work after striding, hiking, and swimming for a couple of hours.

Also, you're going to be spending a lot of time just getting where you're going. If you don't do much else other than work at your occupation and walk to your various destinations, you should be able to fit all that into one day, but you won't have time for much else, like a social life. Maybe you don't feel the need for anything else, and that's fine--to each his own--but I'm asking questions here to get a feel for how close your planned life would really take you to the physical existence of a wild animal.

I'm also curious abut where you're going with the talk about getting a lot of physical activity because you have no choice. When you talk about deliberately missing the bus so you have no choice but to travel under your own power, you're talking about making a choice: the choice to miss the bus. Why not just start walking, and not even pay attention to what time the bus leaves? Living the simple life off of the land which I mentioned in my earlier post might honestly resemble some kind of physical life in the wild. To calculatedly arrange your life specifically so you leave yourself no choice but to engage in physical activity is an artificial construction. You might as well just do like the rest of us, and schedule some physical activity into your day and call it exercise.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:03 PM

628 posts, read 1,389,731 times
Instead of responding to any one post, I am responding all current and future posts of these natures:

I am only going to say this once, the point of this thread is to possibly help out people who struggle with exercise and their health by pointing out that if they want to make a major improvement in their "strength", "toughness", and overall "health" they must change the way they live their lives instead of simply "working out as a hobby" or "dieting as a fad or trend/fashion". Otherwise it's going to continue to be very difficult for them, but there is nothing "wrong" with living their lives like that. This entire thread simply points out the "problem" with living a way of life that contradicts or does the opposite of trying to be a physically "healthier" and overall "stronger" person when that is your goal.

I also gave one suggestion of mine personally that I hope will help get people thinking about how to make some required physical activity as part of their lives rather than just a side-activity, if they wish to try this path. Technology and required physical activity are NOT two mutually exclusive concepts and they actually work well together. So please experiment with as many different ways as you can to combine technology and required physical activity, if you want to do this, with an emphasis on required physical activity in other words: it has to be a part of your life and have a practical application that is you can actually use it for something other than a "hobby" (a thousand push-ups done on the side is an unnatural activity and if you don't actually use it to get something done, it is pointless as far as practicality goes).

Posts that continue to ignore certain or all sections of this thread then proceed to insult me or anyone else on this thread will be ignored. Slander and trolling will not be tolerated, all posts containing nothing but these will be reported.

Good luck to all of you who continue to try to improve yourselves in any way,

ColorsWolf

Last edited by ColorsWolf; 08-10-2013 at 02:32 PM..

Old 08-10-2013, 03:14 PM

Wolf, out of curiosity, how long have you been working out that you think you are some kind of authority on how people go about achieving their fitness goals? That you think you can say with any certainty that your way not just the best way, but the ONLY way?

Fitness doesn't need to consume your every waking hour for someone to be able to achieve results. Especially if your results aren't to be a professional athlete, or Mr. Olympia.

It seems like you've drunken some of that crossfit kool aid are are obsessed with everything being "functional", whatever that means. Functional to what I always ask? Crossfit makes you better at crossfit.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:39 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,822,493 times
I am curious too as to what makes Wolf an expert. Perhaps some credentials or peer reviewed studies should be in order. When one boasts his way is not only the best way but the only way there needs to be something to back it up. Is there a man behind the curtain?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness