Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2013, 04:51 PM

858 posts, read 2,992,900 times

Advertisements

I'm considering getting a stationary bike, and am wondering what the majority of you folks have found to better- Upright or Recumbent?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 04:54 PM

389 posts, read 1,218,877 times
I regularly use a recumbent bike at the Y. I have found the atmosphere there is conducive to regular workouts. I like the recumbents because of my aging back although on occasion I do use the upright bikes.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:22 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,792,540 times
Definitely upright. recumbant is for folks who can't use an upright bike for whatever reason (back issues, etc - there are many valid reasons).

Upright is more conducive to hard efforts, interval training, and other things. It's a more active type of position. Recumbant is fine so don't get me wrong here but an upright bike is what you want if there are no major isses stopping you.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:23 AM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,499,554 times
Use recumbent bike if:
-You have back problems that prevent you from sitting upright for extended periods of time.
-You find it hard to sit on any standard bicycle seat.

Use standard bike if:
-You plan on doing hard workouts or sprints
-You want to be able to change cycling position. The regular bike allows standing up and thus engaging different muscle groups.

In general, either will be fine for stationary bike, although I'd give a slight advantage to regular bike, if you can ride it without any problems.
As far as riding on the road, I'd say use recumbent bike if you ride on flat terrain in strong winds. Due to better aerodynamics, recumbents rule in such conditions.
If you ride a lot of hills, regular bike is better because it allows more leverage when climbing. Recumbents are slow on hill climbs.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:42 AM

5,128 posts, read 9,839,974 times
Whichever is most comfortable for YOU!

I like the recumbent because the seat is easier on the behind. I also like the spin bike because its a different workout & it simulates hills better. BUT, I can work my ass off, so to speak, on either. I like having different options, as I prefer to rotate my cardio. I do not want to be stuck dong the same thing, day in, day out.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:50 AM

67 posts, read 63,609 times
If you are a young man without the problem of back pain then upright is best. Recumbent is also ok if you want to it in a bit easy way...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness