Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 03:54 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,721,676 times

Advertisements

So for years now I've struggled with working out. I really enjoy doing it, but have a very hard time getting to the gym. In the morning I'm gung ho, by the time I get off work I'm beat and just want to go home. I have a membership to a gym but haven't been for at least 2 mos.

My DH and I have a recumbent in the basement. I had him move it up to the guest room upstairs. He has a laptop with a large monitor in there, and for my first week I watched The Office online and did 20 minute workouts every day.

The next week - same thing, although I skipped three days. This is my third week and I'm doing well -- I moved up to 25 minutes (last week) and bought seasons 1 and 2 of The Office -- it's freaking hilarious.

Anyway, last week I saw myself lose about a pound. I didn't weigh myself every day, but the same time of day wearing the same amt. of clothes.

I'm thinking I better move up to 30 minutes. I just love being able to come home, work out, shower and be working on dinner before my DH even comes home!! I think this could actually work for me!

Can I just keep doing this and see results? Please tell me yes. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 04:36 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
Do it till it stops working. Simplest is best I think when it comes to finding the new healthy you. Its good for you no matter what you weight to be active at least 30 minutes a day.

If you lose more depends on how much you are eating. But being active makes any weight look a million times better.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:00 PM

hmm, thanks! I eat pretty healthy most days, weekends are a huge downfall so I'm worried I'm undoing all the good work during the week.

I watch my calories, fat intake and sodium. So perhaps this will work afterall.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:23 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
Notice other things beside the scale. Watch the glow that comes to your skin, some fine lines may disappear. Feel your chest open up, feel this new mystery energy you get, better sleep at nigh, better mood all day, etc.

There is so much more good stuff than the scale. Its going to make you giddy with glee if you stick with it.

Good Luck!

Old 08-05-2008, 08:32 PM

Thanks so much for your support. I have noticed I fall asleep and sleep better throughout the night. I am in a better mood all day, not so sluggish. I feel happier. I had a rough day today and was really looking forward to the bike. First week I did 20 min., 2nd week I did 25 and this is my 3rd week - today I did 30 min. I do feel good.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:04 PM

960 posts, read 2,750,531 times
Could that bike be used to get to work?

Old 08-06-2008, 09:45 AM

Nope. For one thing it's a stationary. For another, I live about 25 miles from work and so I don't think I'm ready for that kind of exercise!

Old 08-07-2008, 01:15 AM

960 posts, read 2,750,531 times
I bike with a group every Tuesday evening and we go 25 miles around the city of inner Loop in Houston, TX. It's a great motivation.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:04 AM

Wow, goodie for you. Just kidding. But seriously. I'm overweight and out of shape. I'd consider doing what you do if I had friends who were at my level biking and if I had a bike. I have a bike actually, but it's a total POS. It's a cruiser that I bought at Kmart, big mistake. Most of my adult life I've had neat old Schwinn's that really give you a work out. It wasn't until I moved the burbs 5 yrs. ago that I gained weight and lost tons of motivation. In the burbs, you drive everywhere. When I lived downtown, I walked/biked everywhere.

So far the recumbent is working nicely. And it's quickly becoming a habit I don't break. Let's cross our fingers!

Old 08-11-2008, 09:19 AM

UPDATE: Hey everyone. Thanks so much for your thoughts. I'm doing really well. I think this is my fourth or fifth week, I lost track, but I've officially lost a few pounds. And really, it's not a huge difference, but I feel fantastic and my clothes fit a little bit better. My DH asked me what I want for my bday, and I'm thinking juicer or elliptical or weights???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness