Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 01:52 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
Newsflash, you aren't a professional runner. Get off the street and run on the sidewalk before you're killed or cause an accident.
Well, isn't that special. Who died and made you the Running Nazi?

Streets don't have sidewalk cracks, aren't littered with trash cans and kids' toys, aren't heaved up from tree roots. The pavement is generally even and, if you stay close to the curb, you're out of traffic and much safer than if you were on the sidewalk.

Those neon orange shoes, btw, are great for visibility.

I suppose next you'll be telling bicyclists to get off the street and onto the sidewalk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 02:01 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,959,181 times
I'm a runner, and I agree with the OP. I want to run on the sidewalk when it is available, and I haven't had any injuries from it. When I do have to run in the road where there isn't a sidewalk, I run on residential streets (not busy streets), and I run as close to the curb as possible so I am not near cars.

The people who drive me bonkers are bicyclists. Why anyone would want to ride their bike on a two-lane 45 mph road without a shoulder is beyond me. It must be a death wish. Bicyclists want respect on the road and want laws passed requiring motorists to move over, but then bicyclists run stop signs and ignore common sense traffic laws. It's a great double standard.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:11 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintCabbage View Post
Newsflash, you aren't a professional runner. Get off the street and run on the sidewalk before you're killed or cause an accident.

When three moms want to slow jog through the neighborhood, you dont have to run three across holding up traffic every morning. If you are so crazy into running that you want to run on the street because you read somewhere that it's better for your knees, you shouldn't need to chat it up the whole time about the local mommy mafia drama of the week, because running is serious business. In the three weeks your trendy running phase lasts, I think you're brand new $200 custom fit neon orange shoes will keep your knees safe on the sidewalk, so get the hell out of the way. Don't worry, we'll all see your stunning new "racing outfit" and matching headband if you run on the sidewalk, and we're all really impressed with your 15 minute mile pace.

That is all.
What an a$$holish comment.

I run because heart disease runs in my family. I also run to raise money for multiple charities, the NYRR, Heart Association, Leukemia, and my late stepson's foundation.

Runners run off sidewalks because asphalt is so much better on your joints than concrete.

Get off your tush and join us.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:23 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,161,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I suppose next you'll be telling bicyclists to get off the street and onto the sidewalk?
Yep, me and everyone else in this thread so far. At least bicyclists can kind of keep up with traffic, and riding on the sidewalk isn't always an option for them, but they are just as annoying, especially in road hogging groups. The overall message is the same, ride your bike all you want, but why pick heavily trafficked roads that cause additional congestion and a danger to everyone trying to get around, especially for people who clearly aren't professionals.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:28 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,161,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
What an a$$holish comment.

I run because heart disease runs in my family. I also run to raise money for multiple charities, the NYRR, Heart Association, Leukemia, and my late stepson's foundation.

Runners run off sidewalks because asphalt is so much better on your joints than concrete.

Get off your tush and join us.
If you're taking my post as a personal affront to your deceased step-son that I didn't know existed until right now, then you're seeing what you want to see, and I'm clearly not saying anything about charitable causes. I also made it pretty clear that the type of runners that are causing the issues aren't folks who need to be making careful consideration of the type of material they are running on because of the long term health risks. So in short, this makes little sense, but I do approve of the word "tush", you don't hear people say that much these days.... ah, the 30's, quite a decade!

Old 06-09-2014, 02:36 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,959,181 times
I giggle at people who wear professional-looking race clothing while they are running and bicycling. If you are wearing a shirt that has brand names pasted all over it and crazy designs, you might take yourself too seriously. If you're in an actual race, fine.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:30 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
I giggle at people who wear professional-looking race clothing while they are running and bicycling. If you are wearing a shirt that has brand names pasted all over it and crazy designs, you might take yourself too seriously. If you're in an actual race, fine.
The branded shirts are freebies from running races. Coolmax or other names that the shirts are made out of are expensive to buy. I've run probably 100 races including 23 full/half marathons all over the country and have a lot of shirts. I wear my shirts proudly, sorry if that doesn't work within your parameters of what is acceptable running attire.

Try running 26+ miles one afternoon and tell me how seriously you take yourself.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:01 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
The branded shirts are freebies from running races. Coolmax or other names that the shirts are made out of are expensive to buy. I've run probably 100 races including 23 full/half marathons all over the country and have a lot of shirts. I wear my shirts proudly, sorry if that doesn't work within your parameters of what is acceptable running attire.

Try running 26+ miles one afternoon and tell me how seriously you take yourself.
I love it when people giggle at us and think we are taking ourselves too seriously. I've lost 20lbs running, done a couple of races and gotten into the best shape of my life since I was in my 20's. I've defeated pre-diabetes and various other problems I had from being unhealthy and overweight. Plus, I just love running (and biking and swimming and lifting weights). All the overweight people can giggle as much as they want - I see it for what it is. Jealousy.

Plus, you're right about the coolmax - I'll run a couple of miles for one of those shirts. Better than paying 50 bucks at the store.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:30 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
I've never seen runners running 3 abreast in the street, and as a runner I am attuned to this kind of thing. I'm not saying that it's impossible, but it is unlikely. As for the shirts, I don't really like the gaudy pastels or logos plastered on them, but that is what they hand out at races these days. In terms of function, the shirts are excellent, and I'm not going to throw them out because some sedentary idiot driving by objects. I'm going to use them.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:32 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,601,876 times
There are asphalt running trails everywhere, since I found out about them I'm never going back to trying to run thru the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness