Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2014, 08:38 PM

76 posts, read 102,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Has anyone else noticed this trend over the past few years? Its like more and more people dont want to take personal responsibilty for being overweight and want to use the excuse that they have thyroid problems.

The wife of a friend of mine gained 40lbs since getting married about 2yrs ago. He told me himself that she's gotten lazy and doesnt want to excercise. Just last wknd when a topic of health and weight came up, she mentioned her "thyroid issue". I said to myself.... "here's another one".
I have thyroid issues myself and have been taking medication for two years. I had been gaining weight for months before that and the only symptom I had was that I was always feeling extremely sluggish; often to the point where I needed caffeine to stay energized at work. For a long time I attributed it to stress; I've got issues with depression and anxiety and I got put on an anti-depressant that is meant to relax your nerves. I finally went to the doctor, thinking that it was an issue with my anti-depressants, and he ran some tests and found that my thyroid was out of whack. Granted, I could have gone to the doctor sooner, but since I thought it was just stress I tried doing everything I could to reduce my stress level.

You and your friend shouldn't be so quick to judge his wife. For all you know, maybe she had a situation similar to mine, had no reason to suspect it was her thyroid, and only recently got an official diagnosis. And if she truly was just saying it to save face, then what business of yours is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 12:40 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
This is just my prediction but I believe as time goes on science will find out quite a few of the conditions many believe to be character flaws will prove to be otherwise. Just for example, people with ulcers were once told to rest, eat a bland diet, and lead a less stressful life. Time went on and it was discovered that most ulcers were caused by a bacteria that actually lived in hydrochloric acid. Helicobacter Pylori. Today they cure the ulcer with antibiotics.

Guess what? Ulcers were not caused by people's inability to deal with stress. Amazing!

Old 09-04-2014, 02:11 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post

To be factual, it is dietary and a lot of that is now out our powers as the federal government and the FDA control that aspect of our lives. Are blacks or hispanics who develop diabetes lazy because the foods available to them are basically poison to their bodies? The same is true for most any other ethnicity moving to our country and eating the junk passed off as "food". Those living in poverty can't afford to eat that which doesn't consist of overprocessed wheat, sugars, oils and other good stuff. Sugars/sodium/fats are slipped into everything most people eat in ways one wouldn't believe.

Genetic obesity may be rare but the foods one eats erases that theory when several generations are eating the same foods, blowing up and getting ill. Lazy has nothing to do with it unless you are totally motionless. The workout routine of a 24 year old NFL player may not be enough.
It sure is easy to point at the target and assign blame with no remedy to right it.
What are GMOs and hormone laden animal flesh doing to our bodies?
Yes, when my parents moved from Europe to the US they and their children gradually got fatter.

I think the main problem is that we have such easy access to such a large variety of foods, doctored up with fat, salt, sugar, and MSG - more in every generation. People used to eat simple foods that were ok, but not some addictive blast of flavor for the most part (except maybe Sundays and holidays). In my house an ordinary meal had meat, a simple vegetable or salad, and boiled or fried potatoes or some other starch that didn't have a huge list of chemical flavor enhancers. There would often be a small dessert ..... after everyone had left the table, I would sneak back and eat any dessert leftovers.

Now so many things are exotic, tasty, and easily nuked for convenience, and in most places except for here there are many good restaurants with foods from around the world.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:20 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,581 times
Your thyroid can either be working too much or too little. You *can* be putting on weight or losing weight because of your thyroid. I've seen it.

... but most of the time, it's not your thyroid, it's the chocolate bar and the supersized McDonald's meal with Fries as a "snack"...

Old 09-04-2014, 06:30 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post
Your thyroid can either be working too much or too little. You *can* be putting on weight or losing weight because of your thyroid. I've seen it.

... but most of the time, it's not your thyroid, it's the chocolate bar and the supersized McDonald's meal with Fries as a "snack"...
This ^

Old 09-04-2014, 07:15 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
I have a very serious thyroid issue, confirmed by lab test.. Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, which is very uncommon for a male to get. It is a degenerative disease that will destroy my thyroid over time, and carries with it a large number of negative side effects. The hyperthyroidism that has characterized my life for the past 10 years or so has kept my weight at 135 lb. which is remarkably low for a 5'10" height.. my heart races with no provocation, I overheat at the drop of a hat and sweat at night, my appetite is spotty and my mood swings.

I don't doubt at all that someone with hypothyroidism would experience similarly powerful effects in the opposite direction.

Old 09-04-2014, 01:57 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
This is just my prediction but I believe as time goes on science will find out quite a few of the conditions many believe to be character flaws will prove to be otherwise. Just for example, people with ulcers were once told to rest, eat a bland diet, and lead a less stressful life. Time went on and it was discovered that most ulcers were caused by a bacteria that actually lived in hydrochloric acid. Helicobacter Pylori. Today they cure the ulcer with antibiotics.

Guess what? Ulcers were not caused by people's inability to deal with stress. Amazing!
That's true. People used to be blamed for having ulcers, as if it were due to some character weakness. Medical science still has so much to learn.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
I have a very serious thyroid issue, confirmed by lab test.. Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, which is very uncommon for a male to get. It is a degenerative disease that will destroy my thyroid over time, and carries with it a large number of negative side effects. The hyperthyroidism that has characterized my life for the past 10 years or so has kept my weight at 135 lb. which is remarkably low for a 5'10" height.. my heart races with no provocation, I overheat at the drop of a hat and sweat at night, my appetite is spotty and my mood swings.

I don't doubt at all that someone with hypothyroidism would experience similarly powerful effects in the opposite direction.
Those sound like unusual symptoms for Hashimoto's, but I think they're still learning about this disease. And it may manifest differently in men than in women, due to general hormonal differences. I don't think it has to be degenerative; the antibodies that attack the thyroid can be brought under control. I brought my antibodies down to normal range with an alternative medicine treatment called NAET. You can Google it + your locale to find a practitioner near you. It's kind of like an acupuncture treatment; it works with the body's energy system to re-program the body so it's not allergic anymore. Testing and monitoring over the years (thyroid antibody blood tests) confirm that the effects of this treatment are "real" and have remained stable. Also, there are naturopaths with a nation-wide clientele who say they've brought patients' antibodies to normal via iodine supplementation, though that's pretty controversial.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 09-04-2014 at 02:12 PM..

Old 09-04-2014, 02:15 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
it clearly IS a fact that thyroid issues are on the rise but it doesn't mean that everybody automatically has an excuse to gain weight.

the water in the US with all the fluoride is making many people (incl. me) sick. Even when you use a Brita filter, you still drink all that excessive fluoride. And not just in the water, it's in the soda, beer, canned stuff, restaurants, ....

No other country has so many people complaining about REAL thyroid issues. We have great white teeth but what is it worth if the rest of our body falls apart?

Google water - fluoride - thyroid and look at the shocking results.

Fluoride and Fluoridated Water's Link to Thyroid Disease

Fluoride Can Impair Thyroid Function

I have now a very costly filter system in my house, but it's too late, my thyroid is already affected. I bet it was the water because it all started shortly after I moved to the US.

I love this country but sometimes I wish it would be a little more up to date.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
it clearly IS a fact that thyroid issues are on the rise but it doesn't mean that everybody automatically has an excuse to gain weight.

the water in the US with all the fluoride is making many people (incl. me) sick. Even when you use a Brita filter, you still drink all that excessive fluoride. And not just in the water, it's in the soda, beer, canned stuff, restaurants, ....

No other country has so many people complaining about REAL thyroid issues. We have great white teeth but what is it worth if the rest of our body falls apart?

Google water - fluoride - thyroid and look at the shocking results.

Fluoride and Fluoridated Water's Link to Thyroid Disease

Fluoride Can Impair Thyroid Function

I have now a very costly filter system in my house, but it's too late, my thyroid is already affected. I bet it was the water because it all started shortly after I moved to the US.

I love this country but sometimes I wish it would be a little more up to date.
WOW! I had no idea! Great and valuable post, eve! I don't know where you live, but my town managed to get the water fluoridation stopped. We now have fluoride-free water. This may be more difficult to achieve in a big city, or a more conservative area.

I didn't know the US leads other countries in the %-age of thyroid cases, either. Thanks, again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness