Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 10:58 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else noticed this trend over the past few years? Its like more and more people dont want to take personal responsibilty for being overweight and want to use the excuse that they have thyroid problems.

The wife of a friend of mine gained 40lbs since getting married about 2yrs ago. He told me himself that she's gotten lazy and doesnt want to excercise. Just last wknd when a topic of health and weight came up, she mentioned her "thyroid issue". I said to myself.... "here's another one".

Last edited by louie0406; 09-02-2014 at 11:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 11:14 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
Thyroid problems can usually be managed with medication. I have Hashimoto's and take synthyroid and I have no problem with my weight. If my pills are not taken I will gain, so obviously I always take my pills. People with thyroid issues should see an endocrinologist to get the right dosage. Saying your over weight because of a thyroid issue is a cop out.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:16 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Thyroid problems can usually be managed with medication. I have Hashimoto's and take synthyroid and I have no problem with my weight. If my pills are not taken I will gain, so obviously I always take my pills. People with thyroid issues should see an endocrinologist to get the right dosage. Saying your over weight because of a thyroid issue is a cop out.
But there's people who dont even have thyroid issues who are blaming their weight on thryroid issues.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:02 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,735,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
But there's people who dont even have thyroid issues who are blaming their weight on thryroid issues.
I didn't even know I had a thyroid issue until I completed p90X and insanity in succession, ate a 1400 calorie a day diet as recommended to lose a pound a week, and lost about three pounds.

Now that doesn't have to do with anything other than - I worked out HARD, ate clean, gave up drinking, and still didn't lose like I should have, had I not had a thyroid issue. I wasn't blaming it for being overweight. I didn't even know it, but getting on the right medication has helped me to lose about 55 pounds.

Maybe this person doesn't have a thyroid issue, but who are you or her hubby to say if she does or doesn't? Each person has a struggle and many people struggle with weight. While it is not always a thyroid issue causing it, it doesn't make that struggle any less real. It doesn't hurt me any if she wants to blame her problem on something else.... she will deal with it when she is ready.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:12 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
I have thyroid issues (Hashimoto). I had it years undiagnosed and now take pills.

I am slim (check out my pics). I am hungry all day and my mind is always thinking about what to eat next (way more as other people). So if I would eat as much as I would want to, I would be fat.

Thyroid issues only make you fat if you have no self discipline. You need to work a little harder to keep the pounds off, but it is not an excuse to get fat IMO.

However, the US adds fluoride to water and many people get thyroid issues through too much fluoride. Hardly any other country still does that.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:38 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Its like more and more people dont want to take personal responsibilty for being overweight and want to use the excuse that they have thyroid problems.
What business is it of yours?

Old 09-02-2014, 12:40 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,477,031 times
My take on this is that it is easier to say that I have thyroid issues than to say my anti-depressant drugs are making me gain weight. Was on meds while going through a divorce and no matter what I did I could not lose the 20 pounds that I put on after starting them. Was an active runner, hiker & climber so I was generally thin to begin with and hated gaining the weight. After the divorce was final and I went off the meds, the weight dropped off rather quickly.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:49 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,796,492 times
So you think many people are lying and don't really have a thyroid issue?

Old 09-02-2014, 01:26 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Yes, G-fused, don't get Con-fused. Just all lame excuses.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:27 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
So you think many people are lying and don't really have a thyroid issue?
First of all, if they have a thyroid issue, they would have gone to the doctor and have been diagnosed. A person can't just "know" they have this from symptoms, like some other sicknesses or occasional diseases.

Next, if they went to the doctor, and their levels were indeed out of the normal range, the doctor would prescribe them medication to put it in normal range. Unsure what it is, there's some different things, synthroid, t3, and t4 all come to mind.

Someone close to me had thyroid cancer and had their thyroid removed. If they go off their medication for checkups, they gain weight and become lethargic usually. If they take their medicine as directed, they are very normal, healthy, and live the same normal life as everyone else, at a very healthy weight with a healthy diet..

I am huge into fitness, and just as much into the diet that goes along with it. I'm about 210-215 and 10-12% BF at a short 5'10. I have people CONSTANTLY asking me for diet advice, supplement advice, fitness advice, etc.

If there's one thing I've learned, I can spend hours helping overweight people, putting a really good diet together, etc., in no time, they've given up, even if they were losing healthy weight in a good direction. It's honestly to the point that anymore I am reluctant to waste my time. Then the good person in me spends way to much time helping someone, only to be let down over and over. It's beyond frustrating to deal with, especially when you do all the things yourself and know they aren't "that" hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness