Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 10:43 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,209,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Has anyone else noticed this trend over the past few years? Its like more and more people dont want to take personal responsibilty for being overweight and want to use the excuse that they have thyroid problems.

The wife of a friend of mine gained 40lbs since getting married about 2yrs ago. He told me himself that she's gotten lazy and doesnt want to excercise. Just last wknd when a topic of health and weight came up, she mentioned her "thyroid issue". I said to myself.... "here's another one".
i've noticed a few women at work saying this. they will just bring it up out of nowhere. these are also the same women that have anger problems, constantly ranting on facebook about people that judge them about their weight. and then they create a myriad of excuses from thyroids to being busy, not wanting to cook, lol. almost like they need validation for being fat. it's very sad.

i've also noticed a few angry overweight people in this thread. being overweight just makes people moody and defensive.

OP, thank you for addressing this. i find it hard to believe that 66% of the american population is now fat because they suddenly have problems with their thyroids. LOL...there is more validity in blaming your weight on quitting smoking, or being married.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 10:57 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,300,531 times
What is the big deal if their thyroid issue is just in their head rather than empirically confirmed? Are you afraid that you will have empathy for someone who truly doesn't deserve it, and all of that caring will wear you out? I guess it just doesn't matter to me, just like it doesn't matter to me if the cause of someone's cancer is genetic or lifestyle related.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:00 AM

41,967 posts, read 75,229,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
As a trainer/coach, I get the depression excuse a LOT more. Im like "Wtf are you so depressed about?". Usually they cant answer and the weird excuses start flying.

When I hear this, I always say that "our #1 goal is to get you off of your meds, and #2 goal is to improve your physical health/fitness". Drugs like Celexa, Lexapro, Zoloft, Wellbutin, Paxil, Prozac, etc. tend to make them feel "loopy" (i.e. good in a "high" kind of way) so when they usually get on it, they don't want to stop.
If you truly were a trainer/coach, you would have some training in behavioral health, its causes and its treatments. This post shows that you clearly do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Because I don't like getting lied to into my face about a disease they don't have
It's none of your business. Why can't you people get that through your heads?

Old 09-03-2014, 11:00 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,348,750 times
Thyroids? sounds legit to me.

Old 09-03-2014, 11:31 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,378,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
"My depression is why Im fat". These two seem to be the most common excuses (that's right, I said it - EXCUSES) people use.
Haha isn't that the truth.. Umm.. No, you're probably depressed BECAUSE you're fat. It's like a downward spiral.. Get fat.. Can't get dates.. Can't fit in clothes.. Get exhausted going up stairs.. > Depressed..

Or the cliche' "I'm fat because it runs in my family" ... No, you're fat because no one runs in your family..

I'm not trying to come out like a jerk here, but I have spent COUNTLESS hours for free on my own time over the years helping overweight people that asked for help, and it's been the biggest waste of time of anything I've ever done. It's seriously pathetic, and yes, it DOES effect me personally because I have wasted my time.. I have one good friend who's whole family is obese, and he is in amazing shape because he actually exercises and eats decent.. He eats plenty, just the RIGHT food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Because I don't like getting lied to into my face about a disease they don't have ... but I have! It's an insult to my intelligence to listen to weak excuses so they can feel better about themselves and tell me "Oh, you are so LUCKY to be slim". No, I am not LUCKY, I work hard to maintain my weight and while they eat thyroid related chips at night, I chew on a carrot or work my butt off at the gym way harder as they would have to do BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE A MEDICAL ISSUE.

Besides the fact that people who try to stay healthy as much as they can have to pay for all the irresponsible obese people with high blood pressure and other AVOIDABLE weight related issues that keep the insurance premiums up.
Oh wow I have dealt with that so many times..

I'll never forget, back when I was 18 I was a CNA at a nursing home. I was working the 3-11 shift and before work I'd typically spend 1-2 hours in the gym. I would pack all my food for work, pre-cooked. Chicken, rice, potatoes, beef, the regular healthy foods.

I had this coworker who was like 300lbs come in at dinner while I was choking down my chicken and rice and say "you're so lucky that you can eat like that and not gain weight" As she sets down her bag from Burger King about to eat a whopper she just went and bought.

I seriously wanted to go off. I didn't say a word and just ate. But it's beyond pathetic when people think that all thin people are just "blessed" with these genetics. Yeah.. Right..

Attached is a picture of my lunchbox. I have packed my own food and eaten like this for years.

In the top right are my 6 hard boiled eggs I eat every day at 9 a.m. I have all 6 whites and 4 of the yolks.

In 2 of the containers is 8oz meat, and 2 of the containers has 1/2 cup carbs. The meat varies from chicken, beef, ground turkey, and the carbs vary from rice and potatoes. I also have 1 serving of oatmeal with the eggs, and the other 2 meals at noon and 3 p.m..

These are just 3 of my 6 daily meals. I miss a meal maybe once or twice a month, tops. Probably not even that much. Right now I'm cutting, when I'm bulking I'll have 1-2 cups of carbs at each meal just depending..

So it's not like it's some science, or is it that difficult when you get in the groove. My gf cooks all the food and packs my lunch now, but before her I did it all myself and it was a breeze. I'd spend about 1.5 hrs every few days cooking 2-4 days worth of food at a time and putting it all in containers..

But.. I'm just "lucky" I guess.

Last edited by houstan-dan; 09-25-2014 at 01:26 PM..

Old 09-03-2014, 12:15 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,169,902 times
Some excuses are valid, Houstan. Some.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:30 PM

522 posts, read 722,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
yep. but very few and far in between.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:33 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times
Quote:

about 5%.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:41 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
If you truly were a trainer/coach, you would have some training in behavioral health, its causes and its treatments. This post shows that you clearly do not.

It's none of your business. Why can't you people get that through your heads?

I just stated my reasons.

Seems like you are one of the thyroid fakers yourself

Old 09-03-2014, 12:50 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,378,287 times
Quote:
Yeah.. Some.. Like another said, probably around 5%...

But why is it the ones that complain also eat like garbage and do no exercise? I'm fat for reason XXX and because of it I'm unable to eat healthy or exercise.

Right.. haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness